Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Forum Member
    Indiana
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xyppy View Post
    And it's my 146th book for 2019.
    After reading 300 books a year in 2017 and 2018, I haven’t read 50 this year. I was binge reading at the expense of my social life and my housekeeping! I’ve taken more long weekends with family and friends too. Wink

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. What bag/accessories are you carrying (items + colors, pics always welcome)?
    I have been carrying the original halcyon side kick as a purse lately, though now that it is winter I often just carry things in my coat pockets instead of carrying a bag. When I head to work I carry my laptop in black halcyon synapse 19. I carry my crochet projects around the house in my nebulous grey pop tote. I love it so much. I need to find a different bag for my crochet so I can carry my pop tote around more.

2. What are you reading? I'm just starting Active Dreaming by Robert Moss. Love his take on dreaming as an important aspect of waking life.

3. What are you playing or watching (movies, theatre, video games, etc.)? I just found out about a new update to the farming simulator Stardew Valley so I am downloading it currently and excited to get back into it until the next Animal Crossing comes out.

4. What are you listening to? Podcasts and Christmas Music

5. What are you cooking/baking/drinking? Lots of oolong tea lately.

6. What are you making/creating/doing? Crocheting a Christmas sweater. And a hat for my dad. Still need to do a lot of gift wrapping too Scrunch Face

7. Where have you gone lately? -or- What travel destinations are on the horizon for you? I went to Wisconsin last month. It was a fun long drive. No trips coming up though I'm living vicariously through my brother's upcoming trip to Disneyland and will have friends visiting from California so I might get to try some snowboarding with friends up here in the Sierras.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    French Blue Synapse 19 with matching Clear Organizer Wallet and mini Organizer Pouch for storing an external battery, cables and spare watch strap. French Blue everything! Absolutely love the colour but not really into the Cordura texture. Can't wait to see the new medium blue 525d fabric.

2. What are you reading?
    Reality Transurfing by Vadim Zeland

3. What are you playing or watching (movies, theatre, video games, etc.)?
    YouTube Premium is my current best friend

4. What are you listening to?
    Breakbeat mixes

5. What are you cooking/baking/drinking?
    Been cooking my current favourite a lot: penne bolognaise with meat-free mince substitute. Drinking: peppermint mocha

6. What are you making/creating/doing?
    Decluttering so that I can fit everything I need into my Synik 30. I can go wherever I want to with ease and not need to think about what to do with my stuff except for what fits into a single backpack and perhaps the Trinity if it turns out to be the convertible bag that I'm looking for.

7. Where have you gone lately? -or- What travel destinations are on the horizon for you?
    Went to Kyoto, Japan in mid-October

What is your favorite cold/cool treat for a hot day?
    Green apple juice or just good ol' plain ice water
    Last edited by latchford; 12-19-2019 at 05:52 PM.

France
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

I almost always (work days / while travelling / leisury days) carry my Skookum dog 3D mesh cube I love it, small enough, big enough, simple enough, many carry options

- work days : in my work bag, to carry my laptop stuff: cords, charger, usbdictributor, work token, etc. + 2 pens
    - while travelling : with GES25 belt straps as fanny pack or with fabric cord as sling pack, carrying passeports, tissues, pens...
    - leisury days : in whatever bag, for little sewing project stuff (fabrics and tools), or notepad&pens, or any stuff Big Grin

2. What are you reading?
    hummm lot of webtoon (mostly Korean ones) and mangas about reincarnation... (not really spiritual more adventurous xD - nowadays trend it seems, so many comics, so many bad ones too x,D)

mm have to watch Star Wars saga... just watched Pets Life animation movies.

still (g)i-dle, still Nigel Stanford, still handpan music (nothing new)

I use to cook curry from scratch but recently I used the curry roux,
    but potage/soup & cheese dishes (fromages s'il vous plait) season is starting yummy

have to contact some awesome people to help to prepare a music festival
    have to go back to my sewing project... but I need a machine *sob*

7. Where have you gone lately? -or- What travel destinations are on the horizon for you?
    just came back from Lao/Cambodia

Lao is beautiful and zen, first times many discovers (landscapes and activities)
    In Cambodia where I have already been, I had such a great time with families, and rediscovered Angkor

Bonus: Thinking about our friends in the southern hemisphere, What is your favorite cold/cool treat for a hot day?
    well I just came back from hot weather countries, the best are fresh fruits and papaya salad Wink
    Last edited by Rei; 12-20-2019 at 12:38 AM. Reason: 3D*
    just a Bihnion here

Alabama
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What Are You Carrying? Short Days Edition (12/2019)

My packing cube I use to store my ďsock drawerĒ stuff popped a seam, I used my usual EDC my A30 pcbp in cube mode as a substitute. After trying out a series of other TB bags, I gave in and found some second hand violet aether cubes and the A30 UV pcbp has made a triumphant return as my EDC. My black halcyon island smart alec carried a full ultralight hiking and camping kit for an adventure over Thanksgiving in the Delaware Water Gap. Trip was fun but COLD!

2. What are you reading?
    Just finished the new Jack Reacher Blue Moon, I have The Siberian Dilemma by Martin Cruz Smith queued up next

Tickets for The Last Jedi for Sunday, Nancy Drew, and CANíT wait for Superman Red Son to come out early 2020 (animated), oh and new season of Rick and Morty

One Republic, Christmas Music, audiobook The Last Call by Ann Cleeves

As usual, not a cooking person, however I can throw a tray of frozen food into the oven like a champ!

Some videos for my channel, I try to film a bunch at a time, then edit over time

A few days on the AT Thanksgiving, London and French coast this summer

Bonus: Thinking about our friends in the southern hemisphere, What is your favorite cold/cool treat for a hot day?
    Ice coffee!!! Bonus if its pumpkin spice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by melminimalist; 12-19-2019 at 09:15 AM.
    "Not all who wander are lost"
    "Love people, use things, because the opposite never works" - The Minimalists
    Synapse 25 in Olive, Aubergine Side Effect, UV A30 PCBP, Sitka PCSB

Boston; she/her
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seapine Icon with Original Halcyon/Wasabi Smart Alec (even though Seapine clashes with my olive green coat).

2. What are you reading?
    Print books: I just finished Laurie Marks' Elemental Logic series (the first book is Fire Logic) and loved it. Now I'm re-reading two old favorites, Robin McKinley's The Hero and the Crown and Katherine Blake's The Interior Life.

Audiobooks: I just finished listening to Maria Semple's Where'd You Go, Bernadette?--I got curious about it from the quote in @kathryn's signature. I enjoyed it, and the reader did a great job. I'm not sure what audiobook I'll listen to next.

Tomorrow I'm going to see a local production of Oliver!

Storyhill's eponymous album. Their harmonies get me every time!

Cake from a box mix. Smilie I was thinking about making beef stroganoff, but I didn't get to the grocery store before they closed for Christmas Eve.

I just sewed a little pouch of waxed cloth, which I plan to use as a travel soapdish. My theory is that it will be porous enough to let the soap dry, without getting soap all over the other stuff in my toiletries bag, but I haven't tested the theory yet.

No travel plans for a few months!

Water with a bit of grenadine syrup in it for flavor. Or ice cream.
    I have a bunch of great bags. Favorite color combos include Aubergine/Island, Navy/Solar, Forest/UV, Original Halcyon/Wasabi, Cloud/Viridian... and now also Seapine/UV!

I've fulfilled my dream of palindromic-colored nested bags! Navy/Ultraviolet Pilot with Aubergine/Island Side Effect inside: blue purple purple blue. Forest/UV A45 with Aubergine/Wasabi Co-Pilot inside: green purple purple green.

Manhattan. I haven't flown on a plane since the '90s.
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry -- a bit late to the game here, but I'll play along:

Lately as EDC for the winter I've been rotating my Ristretto (in Verde green) and my Pilot (in Coyote). Weekends usually my Co-Pilot (in aubergine) or my Medium Cafe Bag (in nebulous grey).

Accessories: Small Q Kit in aubergine (nail clippers, travel dental floss, 2 safety pins, and my iPhone charger with cable), Small Whale pouch in Grass green (emergency cash stash), Pocket Pouch in Coyote (business cards), Double Organizer Pouch in Verde (stamps, address labels, and receipts), and Mini Ghost Whale Organizer Pouch in burnt orange (band aids, Alka-Seltzer, and first aid triple antibiotic cream).

Reading material for the day. Files for work. Compact umbrella. Headphones. Spare power bank for my iPhone. Travel pack of wet wipes (always seem to come in handy!). Swiss army knife (REALLY comes in handy).

2. What are you reading?

2020 Old Farmer's Almanac ... 2020 Magical Almanac ... and "Going Off the Grid".

It being Hollywood awards season, I have a stack of 20 movie screeners from the studios that I haven't touched (frankly I have no interest in the movies they're making anymore, so I haven't cast a ballot in years).

I'm obsessed at the moment with "The Crown".

Being a New Yorker "of a certain age", my go-to radio station has always been CBS-FM. But their rotation seems to have become really stale lately (I'm hearing the same damn Michael Jackson and Paula Abdul songs at the same time every day ... and as much as I love Andy Gibb, for God's sake I'm hearing "Shadow Dancing" more today than when it first came out in 1978).

I've been taking advantage of Amazon music, and have really been getting into music from the '40s. I'm starting to prefer having that playing on the background on the stereo more than CBS-FM (until the station finally freshens up its playlist!).

I'm not much of a "cook" per se, but my easy go-to favorite is salmon salad (canned salmon + avocado + avocado mayonnaise). As always, first thing when I wake up I'll make a pot of Bulletproof Coffee. For daily hydration I always have a fresh pitcher of electrolyte drink in the fridge ("EcoDrink" in mixed berry or blueberry pomegranate). For spirits, now that it's January, on the weekends I'll indulge in a nice glass of Harvey's Bristol Cream after dinner. Or if I'm feeling particularly adventurous, a proper glass of absinthe (I am a writer, after all).

Developing a podcast.

Spent 2 weeks over Christmas back home in Pittsburgh. Planning another 2-week trip back for Easter. With aging parents and responsibility for the family home now, I really don't have time or money for "travel" these days.

What is your favorite cold/cool treat for a hot day?

Unsweetened iced tea. BREWED, not that crap from a mix or a machine.
    Last edited by NYCWriter; 01-12-2020 at 04:30 AM.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Been out of commission since Dec 15, nothing major, just one winter bug after another.

Completely lost my appetite for a week surviving on Airborne vitamin C and sleep.

During that time, I gathered my EDC, FJN and other hobby specific TB Bags around the area, I spent most of my resting time, with the aim of re-organize them.

Unfortunately, while they provided reassurance, I was too exhausted to do any organizing, journaling, art or reading.

Catching up on laundry, which I usually enjoy doing but has been a chore as handling cold and wet items is not ideal when trying to fend off cold symptoms. I usually try to air dry everything using the house heating, to save energy but while sick, only the most finicky pieces of clothing were air dried.

I did check the TB forum.

And watched 1960-1980 performances of Diahann Carroll, Sammy Davis Davis Jr, Nat King Cole, Rosemary Clooney and the Motown Greats.
    It is true that music is healing.

Losing Ms Morisson, Norman and Carroll in quick succession, last year, was very hard to take. All 3 were beacon of talent and inspiration.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    Been out of commission since Dec 15, nothing major, just one winter bug after another.
    Hope you feel better soon! A cold is annoying enough, but a series of them (#@$%!)!
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    Hope you feel better soon! A cold is annoying enough, but a series of them (#@$%!)!
    Thank you so much for your kindness G42, the beautiful pictures you recently posted on the forum were a great help at keeping my mind out of the unpleasantness.

in my area, there are a series of bugs going around, getting at my friends.

So far, the people affected are adults in good health, better than babies and the elderly, I haven't seen a warning on our local county webpage, I need to check that.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    The far west
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Of particular note, Iím testing two Original Large Shop Bags in possible new fabrics, which means I try to use them everywhereÖ Iím tossing my laptop and work stuff in them, taking them to the grocery store, putting workout stuff in them, hiking stuff, dog stuff, whatever. My job right now is to use these bags hard. Eventually Iíll toss them in the washing machine (speeds up the use/wear significantly) but for now theyíre just my daily everywhere bags.

2. What are you reading?

The Door in the Sky by Ananda K. Coomaraswamy

Watchmen
    The Crown
    MMA

I'll just pick five songs!

Marinerís Apartment Complex - Lana Del Rey
    Wolf Like Me - TV On The Radio
    This Magic Moment - Lou Reed
    Lola - The Raincoats
    Uncle ACE - Blood Orange

Lots out of the Cannelle et Vanille cookbook:
    Gluten-free Sourdough Boules
    Cinnamon Rolls
    Gasteau Basque (Iíd never had this before.. itís so good!)
    Pizza crust

The sourdough boules are a revelation ó I brought two of them to each holiday thing I attended and even the gluten bread bakers who tried this bread loved it. Itís moist yet not gummy with a nice, crunchy, thick crust. Itís a commitment to bake and eat two boules a week; Iíve figured out that slicing the boules when theyíre getting towards stale and putting olive oil and tomatoes or pizza sauce on them revives the bread, as does using it in a panzanella.

Factory Showroom Cookies! (Which I discovered can easily be made with 100% oat flour or perhaps brown rice flour instead of the Tignernut flour, which can be more difficult to find.)

My favorite vegetable tacos:

Thinly chop purple cabbage.
    Put it in a saute pan with a little water, some Braggís liquid aminos or tamari or what you have on hand, and some salsa.
    Steam the cabbage in that saute pan a bit, then add another vegetable that may take less time to cook: summer squash, asparagus, etc.
    Saute/steam it all together.

Then, on a hot plate, heat up a tortilla; add some of the vegetable stuff, cheese or one of those great non-dairy cheeses that exist now like the Kite Hill ricotta, sliced avocado, more salsa.

Always working on increasing the duration of my horse stance and toe squat.

Sticking close to home for now, with little trips around Washington here and there.

Bonus: Thinking about our friends in the southern hemisphere,*What is your favorite cold/cool treat for a hot day?

Lemon cucumbers or any kind of melon.
    Have a question? @Darcy (to make sure I see it)

Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

Forum Member
    Sweden
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm carrying my Aubergine Pop Tote and my new wonderful Aubergine Side Kick with the bright blue (Island?) halcyon interior. For work the side kick lives inside the pop tote, for play I usually just carry the sidekick with a grocery bag inside in case I have to carry something e

2. What are you reading?
    Nnedi Okorefor's Binti series, plus student essays for work.

Legend of Zelda Link's Awakening. Also the Ring Fit Adventure! Out of good TV series right now.

The "War on Cars" podcast.

Reducing to eating meat once a week and learning lots about making good homemade vegetarian New Mexican food right here in Sweden. Baking cookies with the kids every Friday yumm.

Learning to spin silk and planning to hook some new rugs for the year. And biking a lot with my new e-bike -- we don't have a car but I also haven't been on a bus in months now! 100km cycled last week and I think that is pretty typical of what it will be, 12km/day commute plus errands and visits on the weekends. And finally, a long project to make our yard over from a typical lawn to a biodiversity-encouraging food forest. We are at tree-planting stages - fruit trees (apples, pears, cherries, maybe a hardy peach), nut trees (oak and hazel) and soon bushes and shrubs (sea buckthorn, serviceberry, elder, raspberry, gooseberry, and blueberry). But we are pretty new to it all so I expect a lot of mistakes.

I've given up flying for work and drastically cutting all flying for family reasons. My most recent trip was by train to the Netherlands. Planning a summer family bike holiday camping trip to Gotland, an island to the southwest of Sweden in the Baltic sea -- the main city, Visby, was an important trading town and apparently has a beautiful town centre nearly completely preserved with wall and everything, plus there is loads of great food. Or so I hear! We did a cycle holiday two years ago that was AMAZING. Last year we went by train to the Alps and that was also pretty great. I could do that again but Switzerland was eyewateringly expensive and the kids don't like hiking! (but the waterfalls! And the forests! and the mountains!)
    Last edited by ejvc; 01-14-2020 at 12:29 AM.

Northeast US
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OG Halcyon/Wasabi Smart Alec (in these post-holiday hazy weeks, itís perfect for stuffing with everything I need during times where I canít be bothered with too much organization).

2. What are you reading?
    Iím in a rereading phase, so in the stack are: The Crossroads of Should and Must; A Discovery of Witches; Becoming; When Things Fall Apart; Lab Girl.

TCM FTW! Itís been a 2020 of silly old movies so far, mostly musicals.

I find myself needing calm one day and dance music the next ó so Iíve been swinging between days of Ludovico Einaudi and Yann Tiersen and Rodrigo y Gabriela and Latinx Funk.

Iím just starting on an anti-inflammation nutrition plan, so Iím shifting everything and relearning how to cook and eat from scratch.

I am not doing too much of this lately ó it seems to be more of a resting/burrowing moment ó but I am enjoying taking photos again.

I just spent a lovely weekend in the Berkshires! The Norman Rockwell Museum and Edith Whartonís home The Mount were fascinating to visit!

Sparkling water with a twist of lemon and mint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "A mind that is stretched by a new experience can never go back to its old dimensions." ó Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.

Forum Member
    Bordeaux, Paris
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Always carry my SCB when out and about. Use an LSB and an SSB when shopping, particularly at the Market Saturdays. Recently took my A30 on a trip to the Pyrenees, and my A45 on another trip to my mother-in-law's for the holidays.

2. What are you reading?

Just finished reading a number of classic French WWI memoirs. (Maurice Genevoix, Gabriel Chevallier, Andrť Pťzard, etc.). So different from their German contemporaries....

Played Rumikube with the family over the holidays. Been watching lots of movies in the theater, and a few on Netflix. Really recommend "Motherless Brooklyn" and "Lake of Swans".

Had had iTunes on random play a lot as I get settled into my new house. Been finding lots of music I had forgotten I had.

Been cooking a lot of Fall vegetables, especially squashes. Grilled duck breasts on the Weber for some guests recently. Been drinking a lot of Bordeaux (Graves) and more recently, Madiran.

Decorating a new house.

Visited friends in the Pyrenees recently for some hiking. Planning short trips to London and Amsterdam, and a cruise on the Danube. Any recommendations for the latter?

Cold water. Also iced coffee, and Campari with anything.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2