Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Bordeaux, Paris
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Favorite shampoo bar ?

Im sure this has been addressed in other threads, but what do forum members use for dry shampoo when traveling, or even at home? Im male, and looking for something with little or no scent. Bonus points for something available in Europe and for inexpensive choices. Any recommendations?

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lush makes several shampoo bars, with varying scents. Soak and Float is for itchy and/or dandruffy scalps, and has a wood-smoke kind of scent which fades after a few uses. There is also an avocado one, whose name I am blanking on, that is a combination conditioner and shampoo, and has a kind of citrusy scent.

While they aren't dirt cheap, they last for a long, long time. I think they actually work out cheaper per use than bottled shampoo. Lush is headquartered in the UK and has shops all over the world, as well as website availability. Brace yourself if you go to a store, though, the collective smell of its products is overwhelming. (Which is why I order online...)
    Western Flyer (crimsom) with Absolute strap, Zephyr (black), Medium Cafe Bag (steel/olive), Shop Bags (solar, steel), Large Cafe bag (navy/cayenne), Small caf bag (forest), Tristars (steel/solar and indigo/solar),Aeronaut (steel), Side Effects (old skool black cordura, olive parapack), Imagos (steel, cork, wasabi, and aubergine, hemp, steel), Dyneema Western Flyer (Nordic/Steel) and miscellaneous packing cubes, pouches, etc.

Forum Member
    Boise, Idaho
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My experience with Lush shampoo bars is generally positive but mine have all turned into mushy goo after about three weeks. And I use a Matador soap keeper bag (breathable waterproof pouch, stupid expensive but a good travel tool). International brands? I put "shampoo bar" into a search and ended up with long list of products I've never heard of that might appeal to you, dunno (most of the focus online is toward women users):

https://stylecaster.com/beauty/shoul...g-bar-shampoo/

https://www.byrdie.com/best-shampoo-bars-4707191

https://www.refinery29.com/en-gb/sha...ar-review-lush

https://www.elle.com/beauty/g22815361/best-shampoo-bar/

Forum Member
    Boise, Idaho
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    deleted duplicate post
    Last edited by Bogiesan; 12-24-2019 at 10:58 AM. Reason: duplicate

Forum Member
    New Zealand
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use Ethique's Frizz Wrangler which has a mild coconutty scent. They do ship to Europe for orders through their website, and they distribute through Holland and Barrett which has shops in the UK, the Netherlands and Belgium. If you want to try something out without too big an investment, they make mini sizes for this purpose.

Disclaimer: I liked the product so much, I bought shares in the company.
    A30 in original halcyon/wasabi. Side Kick in verde/northwest sky and cloud/viridian, Pop Tote in Mars Red and Nebulous Grey, Travel Cubelet in Mars Red, Viridian and Grass, A30 packing cube backpack in northwest sky, large travel tray in sitka, packing cubes, pouches and cubelets

Forum Member
    Santa Cruz, California
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use Dr Bronner soap bar, which comes in both scented and unscented versions
    https://shop.drbronner.com/castile-bar-soap
    It works well as an all-purpose soap bar, including dry shampoo. It is available on Amazon, if it cannot be found locally.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    JR Liggett's shampoo bar. Tried few years ago and didn't like how fast the bar "melted" despite storing as dry as possible. (the bar is softer than a standard bar of soap) Fast forward month ago and local coop now carried trial size with several scents so I bought several. First travel bar I used same as first time and it too "melted" away after a few uses (8?). Second travel bar I am using I left in the wrap except for the smallest end open for least exposure. This bar is lasting far longer although the paper wrap is disintegrating now. (probably 8 uses and 1/4 gone) Staying with Liggett's for foreseeable future given new technique. When I move to the full bar, I think I will also open only the small side, keep the wrapper on the rest of the bar, and before first use I will tightly wrap the wrapper in duct tape. TBD if that will work long term.

Dr Bronner's. Use soap bar for everything else. Hair use for me just felt drying and scalp too. Okay if I need to use as shampoo, but not regularly.

No shampoo. Tried for a week with just wash with water. I have very short hair, but I need the feeling of commercial shampoo clean even if hair is clean.

+1 on Matador soap bar case.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DR Harris shampoo bars.

http://https://www.drharris.co.uk/product-category/haircare/shampoos-and-conditioners/shampoo-bars

Not the cheapest, but very high quality. Lasts me over two months per bar with daily use, the coconut and rosemary are fairly neutral scents.

Forum Member
    Alaska
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Greetings,
    Here's a relevant conversation from a while back:
    https://forums.tombihn.com/not-about...mpoo-bars.html

And this is what I shared on another forum:

Greetings,
    I love the Lush shampoo bars.

A caution for color treated hair, most of the Lush bars have salt, which depleted my color treatments faster than I could blink. There was no warning on the Lush product, nor did the staff mention it. The last time I purchased a bar, I asked and they had one bar specifically for color treated hair. They STILL pushed the many other scented bars. (All the bars are scented, even the one for color treated hair.)

The bars last a VERY long time. Have them cut it in half or even in quarters. You don’t need much.

I have dry hair and use deep moisture treatments at home. A conditioner is essential when I use the Lush bars!

If you have never tried shampoo/conditioner bars, test them a couple times before you travel. elisa

Good luck! elisa

Volunteer Moderator
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have found Lush shampoo bars to be the most like using conventional shampoo. They have similar ingredients and foaming agents. A lot of the more eco/natural brands leave my hair feeling a bit flat or dry. I have a honey scented one. I dont like scented things so I normally avoid Lush but this one at least has a pleasant smell and I bought the tin they sell for the shampoo bars, it keeps the smell contained when not in use.

Other Shampoo bars Ive used have come from Etsy and from local artisan markets. I have seen several in Holland and Barrett that look nice but they were more expensive than I was prepared for.

Forum Member
    Bordeaux, Paris
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am late getting back to this thread, but want to thank everyone who contributed. Love the TB forum!

I now have a lot of choices. But really, Dr. Bronner's! How could I not think of this?

thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To prevent the bars turning into a lump of mush I've done a few things (which were recommended by a very helpful member of staff in the store at Victoria station in London):
    - Try and avoid bringing the tins into the shower, or at least keep them directly out of the flow of the water.
    - Sud up the soap in your hands, put it back in the tin/pot, and use your hands on your hair. The bar itself never needs to touch your hair.
    - Put a little sponge (it can be super thin) in the bottom of the tin, this helps absorb excess moisture.
    - Drain any water out of the tin when you're done showering, then leave it open to dry out.

I ended up buying some lighter screw-top plastic pots from AliExpress for mine as I didn't want to carry the metal. I also cut my shampoo bar into 4, and the conditioner bar into 6, the vast majority is in a paper bag in the cupboard with the towels, and I've just taken the small bits I need with me so far. The bars last a lot longer than you'd think!
    Proud owner of a Synik 22 (Aubergine/Northwest Sky), a Medium Caf Bag (Alphaviolet), and a whole host of accessories.