Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Travel-sized air filter/air purifier rec?

Hello! Wondering if anyone has a recommendation for a carry-on-friendly air filter or air purifier. I will be traveling to an Asian city in a few weeks, and the last time I was there (over a decade ago) I came down with bronchitis from the pollution. (I have asthma so am very sensitive to air quality.) Hoping to stay outside the city but will have to be in the city for at least part of my stay.

Bonus points for a unit that converts voltage but I am guessing I will have to bring a converter/transformer. Or I guess I could buy a purifier once there, though would rather not have to go to a store right away when I arrive.

At home we use a Coway filter (the Mighty model - note: it was less than half this price when I got it over Black Friday, wait for a sale if you are thinking of getting one) but that's not going to be very easy to transport at 18" x 18".

Was considering this one - the BlueAir 411 - but it still looks to be about the size of a small trashcan - ~ 8"D x 17"H. Has anyone used one that's small enough to fit on a hotel nightstand, and be carried in a rollaboard?

This one looks promising but I have not seen it mentioned on other sites: QuietPure by Aerus - 12"H

This one has a HEPA filter and is only 6 pounds - again, only mentioned on one or two sites: Levoit LV-H132

I have not used filters/purifiers that rely on UV or ionizers, am more familiar with the HEPA filters. Would be interested to hear if anyone has tried them and liked them.

- This one uses "UV-C" technology to treat the air: Germ Guardian tabletop
    Last edited by haraya; 01-03-2020 at 08:22 AM.

Forum Member
    New York City
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We also use the Coway Mighty at home, to keep dust levels under control in the bedroom. In a former apartment we had what we diagnosed to be black mold, and an air purifier made the bedroom much more livable.

I picked up a very small air purifier to try out in the home office from "hOmeLabs" which is sadly discontinued but is about 7x5x5". It does seem to work sufficiently.

An air purifier is just a fan and a filter, so I wouldn't overthink it. The most important part would be ensuring that you can easily buy replacement HEPA filters when they wear out. HEPA filters do not wear out when they look clogged up- they wear out when the static charge they have can no longer accept microscopic contaminants.

I would also look for a face mask to wear when you're over there. You'll want an N95 respirator or better. I like the 3M ones with the outflow valves. Pollution in Hanoi was awful when we were there last month.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you, that's all very useful information!!

I was thinking about the face mask. I don't want to offend anyone but lately I am just so much more sensitive to dust and smoke, and it's really hard to be sociable when one can't breathe/is hacking and wheezing. Maybe I'll just wear it when in the car going to and from places.

Quote Originally Posted by carrot View Post
    We also use the Coway Mighty at home, to keep dust levels under control in the bedroom. In a former apartment we had what we diagnosed to be black mold, and an air purifier made the bedroom much more livable.

I picked up a very small air purifier to try out in the home office from "homeLabs" which is sadly discontinued but is about 7x5x5". It does seem to work sufficiently.

An air purifier is just a fan and a filter, so I wouldn't overthink it. The most important part would be ensuring that you can easily buy replacement HEPA filters when they wear out. HEPA filters do not wear out when they look clogged up- they wear out when the static charge they have can no longer accept microscopic contaminants.

I would also look for a face mask to wear when you're over there. You'll want an N95 respirator or better. I like the 3M ones with the outflow valves. Pollution in Hanoi was awful when we were there last month.

Forum Member
    New York City
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Face masks are very common in Asia. Many wear them for the commute on the roads and many others wear them when they are sick out of concern for spreading germs. You wouldn't look especially out of place.

Forum Member
    New Zealand
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with Carrot, face masks are common in Asia. If you're staying at hotels, you could ask if they have air purifiers available. Some places have these as an optional extra available from the front desk.
    A30 in original halcyon/wasabi. Side Kick in verde/northwest sky and cloud/viridian, Pop Tote in Mars Red and Nebulous Grey, Travel Cubelet in Mars Red, Viridian and Grass, A30 packing cube backpack in northwest sky, large travel tray in sitka, packing cubes, pouches and cubelets

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you carrot and Denises! I'm not sure if face masks are as common in this country. But it might come down to face masks or me having to leave early. Embarrassment And good idea about asking hotels if they have purifiers (will still have to figure out what to do the other half of the time when I'm staying at people's homes).

Forum Member
    Jacksonville, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by carrot View Post
    You'll want an N95 respirator or better.
    Correct, the masks often seen being worn in airports aren't effective protection for the wearer, you'd need something with a seal and rated filter element.