Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    The far west
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Australia continues to be in our thoughts

We hope all members in Australia and their loved ones are safe as can be. We have been thinking of you all, far away as we are here in Seattle. We've made donations to:

WIRES
    New South Wales Rural Fire Fighters
    Climate Council
    Have a question? @Darcy (to make sure I see it)

Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

Forum Member
    Perth, Australia
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your thoughts Darcy and of course the amazing TB crew.

I’ll be honest there’s lots of stuff going around that is photoshopped and just not true. However, there are plenty of people who are losing their homes and properties and some people even losing their lives. Hopefully all people effected can get the support they need.

The amount of fuel on the ground is creating massive fires that just can’t be stopped. The only way to stop them is to let them burn.

We are from Melbourne and were just in the Blue mountains on holidays and this was our map. 20km radius from where we were staying.

We left and got back to Sydney on Saturday as it was safer to pack up and leave during the day and find a place to stay rather than trying to get out at midnight and add more strain on the fire service.

Hope all my fellow Australians are well and thank you to everyone who has generously donated to help those effected by these tragedies.

Khalil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    The far west
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LordAnubis View Post
    I’ll be honest there’s lots of stuff going around that is photoshopped and just not true. However, there are plenty of people who are losing their homes and properties and some people even losing their lives. Hopefully all people effected can get the support they need.

The amount of fuel on the ground is creating massive fires that just can’t be stopped. The only way to stop them is to let them burn.

We are from Melbourne and were just in the Blue mountains on holidays and this was our map. 20km radius from where we were staying.

We left and got back to Sydney on Saturday as it was safer to pack up and leave during the day and find a place to stay rather than trying to get out at midnight and add more strain on the fire service.

Hope all my fellow Australians are well and thank you to everyone who has generously donated to help those effected by these tragedies.

Khalil
    Thank you for sharing this with us Khalil. We too hope everyone can get the support they need. Glad you are ok.
    Have a question? @Darcy (to make sure I see it)

Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you Darcy,

We have a rural property which was threatened from the East by one fire then from the west by another in early/mid December - we have been very lucky that both fires were contained before reaching the house - we did lose some fencing but in the scheme of things that is nothing to moan about.

We are also fortunate that we have another home in the city where we could go - these are not the sort of fires to stay and fight unless you are extremely fit mentally and physically as well as very well equipped and prepared. Many of the 20 deaths in NSW are folk who stayed to defend.

The scale of the loss of animals and habitat is heartbreaking. Businesses and homes can be rebuilt - there will be money for that but we cannot easily rebuild nature.

We appreciate the firefighters and others who have come from the US and Canada to help out -

A picture from my place - new growth 22 days after this tree burned.

Australia continues to be in our thoughts-fires_regrowth-1-jpg
    List under construction ....

Silicon Valley
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If anyone needs a Scrubba, from now until January 12, Scrubba is donating 100% of sales to Australian firefighters!

For the next 5 days, Scrubba will be donating 100% of sales to the Australian Red Cross Disaster Relief and Recovery fund and Australian volunteer country firefighters*.

If you have been considering a new Scrubba wash bag (or other Scrubba product), now is the time to buy, knowing that your full purchase price will be donated to helping those who need it most during this national crisis.

I've been using a Scrubba Mini for the last 6 months and I can a Scrubba it's one of the best travel products I've ever owned - pack for 3-5 days and carry a Scrubba; so easy and foolproof. I'm a 6'2" dude and the mini is plenty big! (and also plenty small)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
    If anyone needs a Scrubba, from now until January 12, Scrubba is donating 100% of sales to Australian firefighters!
    I was going to wait until closer to my next trip to get one, but this seems like an excellent time to hop on the Scrubba (mini) train!
    Proud owner of a Synik 22 (Aubergine/Northwest Sky), a Medium Café Bag (Alphaviolet), and a whole host of accessories.

Minneapolis
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the heads up on this, @GrussGott! I have been planning to get a Scrubba for awhile now, so this was a great opportunity to get one while also supporting people affected by the fires.

Quote Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
    I'm a 6'2" dude and the mini is plenty big! (and also plenty small)
    Can you fit a pair of jeans? I ordered the Mini because I usually only wash underwear, socks, and t-shirts, but it would be nice to know whether it would work for jeans in a pinch.
    "I'm more of a creative problem solver with good taste and a soft spot for logistical nightmares.” ― Maria Semple, Where'd You Go, Bernadette

Silicon Valley
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kathryn View Post
    Can you fit a pair of jeans? I ordered the Mini because I usually only wash underwear, socks, and t-shirts, but it would be nice to know whether it would work for jeans in a pinch.
    Definitely! I was in Japan for 2 weeks in October and washed both pairs I brought. I think the difference with the mini, at least for me, is it's not a "loads" of clothes thing. I'd typically do 1 load of t-shirts, 1 load of socks/undies, 1 of jeans or other. The way I did it was I'd fill the tub with clean water, then wash the clothes in the scrubba and move them to the tub, then do the next load, then tub, etc; after all was washed, I finished rinsing everything in the tub. Worked great!

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks @GrussGott - that pushed me off the fence too... just ordered a mini.
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks GrussGott - me three on the mini.

(Btw I get a "bad request" message when I try to click on the Scrubba message you posted separately.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for posting about the Scrubba, @GrussGott! I ordered the Mini and the Regular. What a great thing for a company to do! Reminds me of another company TB! Thanks again!

Forum Member
    Northern NSW, Australia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How is the scrubba mini different to the original?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Northern NSW, Australia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is heartening to have the situation here in the minds of so many people far away and that it is so prominent in the overseas news.

Our house was somewhat close to fires at the start of December and we had days of smoky skies and worry, but I am not near the awful situation down south. It is terrible to see so much of the country burning out of control with so much of the summer still to go.

The effect of the fires is huge on so many levels - the immediate loss of life and property, the damage to the bush, the effect of smoke on all the volunteer firefighters who use minimal safety equipment, the smoke clouds over huge areas not directly affected by fire, the economic repercussions for small businesses, the loss of tourism dollars...

What a year - my brother in California evacuated due to fires only shortly before our area was here in Australia!

Colorado Springs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our town was threatened by 2 wildfires in recent years—1 from the west and 1 from the north. Lost hundreds of homes each time. We know the terror of fire, and “fire-nado.” Our hearts go out to all experiencing this.

Forum Member
    UK
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Australia's people and wildlife are very much in my thoughts, and in addition to donating money, I am also trying to channel some of the heartbreak and helplessness I feel into sewing some items to send to Australian wildlife rescue organisations. I know there are many crafters here on the TB forum, and I just wanted to mention that lots of organisations are coordinating makealongs to knit, crochet, or machine sew things like bat wraps, joey pouches, or tiny nests for birds.

This weekend I'm taking part in the makealong run by Shop Shoal, a Californian company. All of the information about what to make, how to make it, and who to send it to, is here: https://shopshoal.com/pages/crafts-for-wildlife In the pattern PDFs are the instructions and donation forms to include with any items. Shop Shoal is an animal-loving joint business run by Serena (in California) and Natelle (in England). Finished items are to be sent to them (whichever one is closest to where you live!), and they will send them on to their contact in Australia, who will deliver them to a wildlife rescue donations point. Just thought I'd mention it in case anyone is interested! Smilie
    So many bags. And I love them all.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast