Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Trip insurance?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trip insurance?

Where if anywhere do you purchase trip insurance? (Bought my ticket directly from airline, so I can't buy insurance from the website as I've done in the past.) Thanks for any suggestions!

Minneapolis
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First, check the credit card you used for a travel insurance benefit. Some have it, some don't. If not, I think in the past, I have used Allianz for stand-alone travel insurance.
    "I'm more of a creative problem solver with good taste and a soft spot for logistical nightmares.Ē ― Maria Semple, Where'd You Go, Bernadette

Forum Member
    Perth, Australia
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trip insurance?

World Nomads has done well for me in the past and Iíve made three claims through them and all have ... eventually... been paid.

But read the policy!!! Can not stress that enough. Make sure you know what the policy is. A lot of insurers (standard credit card insurance for example) isnít worth the paper itís written on. Just because it says itís insurance doesnít mean it is. Please read the policies and chose what suits you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fortunately I havenít had to use trip insurance so far, but Iíve purchased it through insuremytrip Travel Insurance Quotes - Compare & Buy Trip Insurance. You can do comparisons, and itís a helpful site to find out what policy is right for you.
    Seeking Solar shop bags and Solar packing cube shoulder bag Spring Also coveting an Iberian Synapse or Copilot

France
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kathryn View Post
    First, check the credit card you used for a travel insurance benefit. Some have it, some don't.
    Good point. But do check details for exactly what is or us not covered by credit card travel insurance, it’s not always as comprehensive as you might require.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's important to figure out first, what insurance do you actually need? Trip cancellation insurance for air/hotel expenses? Medical coverage for emergency care? Medivac to get you back home for medical attention? Lost luggage insurance? Trip delay coverage for missed hotel rooms and activities? Rental car coverage? And, once you think you know what kinds of insurance you need, then you need to figure out how much dollar coverage you need, and how much of a deductible you are willing to assume. In addition, you need to know what insurance you already have via credit cards, homeowners/rental policies, auto insurance and medical insurance. For example, my medical coverage via Medicare doesn't cover anything out of the US, but my medigap policy does, to an extent. So I am happy now getting a medical coverage policy that only covers Medivac service.

One other consideration, especially if your primary consideration is medical coverage, is that an annual plan versus an individual trip plan might work better for you if you have a fair amount of traveling in a calendar year. Those annual policies tend to be pretty light on other included benefits--like lost luggage or trip delay coverage, but if you are willing to self-insure on those costs, you can get very good coverage for a reasonable premium. Keep in mind that, like with any insurance, the more generous the coverage, the higher the cost; trip cancellation for any reason, not surprisingly, is a very pricey policy to buy; consider whether your personal situation warrants it. (I can self-insure for hotel cancellations by buying refundable hotel rooms, even if I end up paying an extra 10 bucks a night compared to the cheap non-refundable rate. If I were taking a cruise, though, those hefty non-refundable fees would have me looking seriously at trip cancelation policies!)

You can compare policies at insuremytrip.com and squaremouth.com. But keep in mind that policies change constantly--I have bought my annual travel insurance from three different companies for the last three years. Also, not every policy is available in every state--your state insurance commissioner needs to approve them. So Washington state residents have relatively few policies from which to pick--which may tell you something about the quality of tripinsurance policies!
    Western Flyer (crimsom) with Absolute strap, Zephyr (black), Medium Cafe Bag (steel/olive), Shop Bags (solar, steel), Large Cafe bag (navy/cayenne), Small cafť bag (forest), Tristars (steel/solar and indigo/solar),Aeronaut (steel), Side Effects (old skool black cordura, olive parapack), Imagos (steel, cork, wasabi, and aubergine, hemp, steel), Dyneema Western Flyer (Nordic/Steel) and miscellaneous packing cubes, pouches, etc.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One or two final comments from me on this topic. (I promise, this time I mean it!) First off, the reviews from consumers that you find on the comparison websites are pretty useless. Very few buyers have had to make claims, so the reviews tend to be based on ease of purchase rather than their experience having to claim. Second, most policies require you to claim first against any other insurance you may have, so you will need to have that information available while on the road--whether accessible online or in printed form. Also, for many expenses you may have to pay upfront and get reimbursed by insurance later. Not such a big deal for things like lost baggage, perhaps, but a serious impediment if you have to pay upfront to be Medivaced. (My experience here is a cautionary tale--I suffered a severe ankle fracture in Europe that ended up needing six hour complex surgical reconstruction once I got home. It turned out that my Medivac insurance required me to pay first--a low 6 figure cost!--and get reimbursed later. Needless to say, that was a bit beyond my credit card's upper limit! I ended up taking an agonizing flight in coach class that day on Lufthansa back to Seattle--and if I had been candid about my condition with Lufthansa they would have refused to fly be at all. So, again, read the fine print!!)
    Western Flyer (crimsom) with Absolute strap, Zephyr (black), Medium Cafe Bag (steel/olive), Shop Bags (solar, steel), Large Cafe bag (navy/cayenne), Small cafť bag (forest), Tristars (steel/solar and indigo/solar),Aeronaut (steel), Side Effects (old skool black cordura, olive parapack), Imagos (steel, cork, wasabi, and aubergine, hemp, steel), Dyneema Western Flyer (Nordic/Steel) and miscellaneous packing cubes, pouches, etc.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've only used World Nomads (although I have shopped around.) My first time using them, I had to make a claim. It was such a painless process, and everything was paid quickly.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many thanks for all the suggestions! I will report back once I've sorted things out...

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by flitcraft View Post
    the reviews from consumers that you find on the comparison websites are pretty useless. Very few buyers have had to make claims, so the reviews tend to be based on ease of purchase rather than their experience having to claim.
    The one time I've actually purchased trip insurance, I used insuremytrip and specifically looked for reviews from people that talked about the claim experience for the companies/policies I considered. Our trip went fine, but I felt much more confident that a claim would have been reasonably painless had I needed to make one.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only time I purchased trip insurance was Allianz via AAA. Went to AAA to get international drivers permit in case I rented a car. I asked about travel insurance while completing the permit form. Their sales pitch was the medivac issues and costs plus trip interuption.

Leaving within the week, month long, intercontinental. Entered trip cost at like $4000. Quote came back like $350. Weather looked good when I was leaving within the week, didn't have any fixed appointments on the trip to meet, the countries leaving and arriving are polically secure, and luggage was no more than few hundred dollars (and in hindsight I don't know if carry-on would be covered) So within the sales pitch I inquired, "I don't really care about my flight cost being covered or delays so what if you slide the toggle to flight cost to zero?" The rep did and the price dropped to like $35 for the same tier. I was sold and policy placed in force. I did not need to file a claim so I can not say its value or ease.

I view it as castotrophic coverage for big issues and self-insure the little issues to balance saving money and peace of mind.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by organicfarmer View Post
    I view it as castotrophic coverage for big issues and self-insure the little issues to balance saving money and peace of mind.
    That's how I look at it too... and therefor only use it for personal international travel.
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've used World Nomads too, on the recommendation of a friend who's spent the last seven years living abroad from a Gregory Deva 60 backpack. I haven't made a claim but she has, and she swears by them. I'll take her word for it.

Forum Member
    Boise, Idaho
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Experiences with travel agencies vary, of course, but I have a friend who has been in the biz for decades. Her shop handles all of my arrangements for major expeditions like Rick Steves Europe. Her company has used and dropped several insurance outfits over fifty years but she explicitly trusts her current travel insurance brokerage and that means I can, too. The mid-tier package I buy includes medical provisions and protection for all kinds of mishaps. The cost is 10% of my total travel costs, so roughly $500 on top of a $5,000 hotel/air package. Insurance is a waste of money until you actually need it and I'm old enough to appreciate the value of many different types of insurance.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you all for the suggestions, I will take them into account when planning my next trip! As it turns out I did not need to resort to an insurance claim, the airline approved my reason for canceling. (An active volcano is pretty persuasive...)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast