Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Going back to Germany!

Two years ago we went back to Germany with my Dad. The tiny town of Furstenau had invited my father back as the last living survivor of the Holocaust.

This year the town is putting up a memorial at the spot where the Jewish people were deported. It will be a bronze bas relief done by a young lady from the town. And there will be a bronze plaque with a list of all the people deported. They've invited us back for the ceremony, and more of my family are going. We are very moved that not only they want to put this up, but that they are doing it while my father is still alive.

Our A45s and Sidekicks are going to get more use.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is wonderful, touching and so important! It is always painful to be confronted with that part of our history but it is so important that we don't stop trying to understand what happened and how it happened. I am really thankful that your Dad is coming back to Germany to bear witness of his experiences. Thanks for sharing!
    ...spread joy in your neighbourhood (and not Corona!) Smilie Rainbow Cheers
    current bags: Smart Alec, Guide's Pack, Guide's Edition S25, Luminary 15, Daylight Backpack, Aeronaut 45, Tri-Star, Road Buddy 36, Daylight Briefcase, Small Yeoman Duffel, bits and pieces

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    The far west
    Mentioned
    158 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BWeaves View Post
    Two years ago we went back to Germany with my Dad. The tiny town of Furstenau had invited my father back as the last living survivor of the Holocaust.

This year the town is putting up a memorial at the spot where the Jewish people were deported. It will be a bronze bas relief done by a young lady from the town. And there will be a bronze plaque with a list of all the people deported. They've invited us back for the ceremony, and more of my family are going. We are very moved that not only they want to put this up, but that they are doing it while my father is still alive.

That's wonderful! I am so glad to hear this; I remember your posts about the previous trip well. Speaking of...

Here's a link to the thread in which BWeaves described the original trip to Germany. And here's a link to some later posts in that thread with links to media coverage around their visit.
    Have a question? @Darcy (to make sure I see it)

Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

Alabama
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is so beautiful. I had to stop reading for a moment for my eyes to clear. Please, give your Dad a hug from me, no one in my grandmothers or grandfathers family made it out of the holocaust, my grandmother passed away last year at 98 still missing her aunts, uncles, and cousins. We donít even have any pictures of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Not all who wander are lost"
    "Love people, use things, because the opposite never works" - The Minimalists
    Synapse 25 in Olive, Aubergine Side Effect, UV A30 PCBP, Sitka PCSB

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I sympathize. My father had very few photos. The gentleman in Germany who has been researching dad's family has just sent us photos of great, great grandparents and relatives and a family tree he put together. He knows more about our family than we do. When we were there two years ago, someone in town had put together a photo album for Dad. It reminded me a bit of Harry Potter getting his magic photo album from Hagrid. Dad and I went through it and I wrote down next to the photos everything Dad remembered about who was in the photo, or who lived in each house.

I swear I will have butterflies in my stomach for months. Nervous excitement.

Forum Member
    Alaska
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Greetings,
    This is lovely. It is heartwarming to hear about the photo albums. elisa

Forum Member
    Bordeaux, Paris
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So glad to hear the news! Keep us all posted, and have a great rip. Memory work like this is so important.

Boston; she/her
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That was two years ago already?? I remember your posts about the trip as though it were just a few months ago; I enjoyed reading your posts and I found them very moving. It's great that they've invited your family back for this!

Edited to add: oh, I see it feels to me like it was just a few months ago because that's when I saw the posts! I had somehow missed them at first, and read them last summer.
    Last edited by aedifica; 01-31-2020 at 06:46 PM.

Volunteer Moderator
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BWeaves View Post

Wow. Like everyone else I remember your last trip, how meaningful to get to go back again so soon. Really looking forward to reading about it. Good luck and smooth travels.