Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Somewhere in the Hills
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Parafin Bath - suggestions?

Several weeks ago, I had surgery on my left hand, which is also my writing hand.

I had to go through physical therapy, and one of the items the therapist introduced me to was a paraffin bath. I had to dip my hand, quickly, into hot wax several times to warm up the muscles and tendons for therapy. My therapy is concluded now, so I'm left to exercise my hand on my own. Heating pads aren't really effective in warming my hand.

I'm thinking about getting my own paraffin bath. Any suggestions on what to look for, where to shop for it, how to maintain it, and how to store it? It's one thing to use a therapist's unit and another thing to top shopping for your own and to figure out how to use it and tend to it correctly.

Any suggestions?
    Owner of: Brain Bag backpack (Black), Field Journal Notebook (Blue), Snake Charmer (Small, Orange), Super Ego briefcase (Black / Indigo / Steel) with Reflective Strip, Brain Cell (Steel), Horizontal Freudian Slip, various Organizer Pouches and Key Straps, and a Side Effect (Black / Wassabi) worn as a belt-style hip-pack.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to hear about your hand, I hope it's healing quickly! I've not owned a paraffin bath at home, but used one in OT when I had wrist issues a while back. You might check beauty-supply stores in addition to medical suppliers - they might have competitive prices.

I've thought about getting one to ward off arthritis in my hands - will be watching this thread with interest. Embarrassment

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might want to check directly with your medical insurance/provide and PT office - some things can be covered by insurance and/or get a discounted rate. I hurt my back 10 years or so ago, and after PT they provided me with a lumbar pillow as part of the care...
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Forum Member
    Somewhere in the Hills
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    UPDATE:

My physical therapy was declared "completed" a couple weeks ago. I could still ask them questions, but I'm not going in there without it being covered. My hand microsurgeon, who prescribed the therapy, concurred with the "completed" declaration as well.

My father also went in for therapy at the same time. He's on Medicare and also supplemental, so he got a detailed readout on the transactions. WOW. Those sessions are expensive. They run through a $20 and they run through a $50 and they run through a $100 just as fast as they can go...

If I inquire with the therapist again, it will likely be to get information. Sounds like actual therapy appointments are not a realistic possibility at this point.

I tried using one of those neck-wraparound heat pads today, wrapping it around my hand. It seemed to help. I'm going to experiment with that before making a decision on investing in any new equipment.
    Owner of: Brain Bag backpack (Black), Field Journal Notebook (Blue), Snake Charmer (Small, Orange), Super Ego briefcase (Black / Indigo / Steel) with Reflective Strip, Brain Cell (Steel), Horizontal Freudian Slip, various Organizer Pouches and Key Straps, and a Side Effect (Black / Wassabi) worn as a belt-style hip-pack.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FYI, in case you are interested, there are multiple Etsy shops who sell the “gloves” filled with rice that can be heated in the microwave for heat therapy for your hands. Excellent for arthritis.

Forum Member
    Somewhere in the Hills
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dgrls View Post
    FYI, in case you are interested, there are multiple Etsy shops who sell the “gloves” filled with rice that can be heated in the microwave for heat therapy for your hands. Excellent for arthritis.
    Stupid question on that: I've never used Etsy. How does one search Etsy to find specific items? Are there any tricks to it?

Forum Member
    Springfield, MA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's pretty easy. Just search for whatever terms make sense. I usually use the advanced search to limit results to the US or North America because there are a lot of international sellers, and that means shipping questions I can avoid because there are usually plenty of options.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk