Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Somewhere in the Hills
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Mobile Device Stands for Travel?

This question concerns multiple devices, so there's no one good forum to post this in...

I and other family members frequently travel to business meetings and work projects. We're seeking to improvise or to find new kinds of "mobile office solutions". We currently use Android smartphones (Moto E4 and Moto G6 Play) and an iPad Mini. We also occasionally take a 13-inch MacBook Pro on the road with us.

A major concern, especially during meetings at remote locations, is being able to set up the smartphones (or the iPad Mini) so that it's not just laying on a table, chair or your lap. We want to be able to use a stylus-pen to swipe and tap on the mobile device while it's sitting, stationary, which is something you cannot do easily if it is laying flat and/or balancing on your knee.

Does anyone make/sell stands for these devices? A stand would have to be collapsible so it can be carried in your hand or packed away for travel. It also has to be charging-cable-friendly so you can plug the device into power while it's setting on the stand. It needs to be durable because it would see lots of packing, unpacking, set-ups and travel miles.

Do these kinds of travel stands exist? What does our family look for?Confused
    Owner of: Brain Bag backpack (Black), Field Journal Notebook (Blue), Snake Charmer (Small, Orange), Super Ego briefcase (Black / Indigo / Steel) with Reflective Strip, Brain Cell (Steel), Horizontal Freudian Slip, various Organizer Pouches and Key Straps, and a Side Effect (Black / Wassabi) worn as a belt-style hip-pack.

Boston; she/her
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some of the easel-type stands would work for you, I think--some of them can adjust to be used with a phone or tablet, and some of them hold the device up a little bit to allow for a charge cable to be plugged in. I don't have a particular one to recommend, though.

Silicon Valley
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a combo of the Nite Ize Quickstand for ultimate portability - like in my airplane diddy kit, and the XINKSD Portable Multi-Angle Stand (which used to be white-labeled by Anker) for a more badarse solution (it's fairly portable, but it's solid aluminum so super durable and able to hold heavy stuff, 10lbs worth! Thick stuff too, i've held monitor panels with it).

Nite Ize QuickStand:

Mobile Device Stands for Travel?-qsd_feature_08_n-jpg

Xinksd / Anker stand:

Mobile Device Stands for Travel?-41wdkgp-6cl-_ac_sy400_-jpg

Another option I'm considering, although not very portable (much anyway), is the Anker PowerWave II Stand, being both a stand and charger. If your device supports it, this would be great for all day sessions without having to plug-in/unplug the thing every time you wanted to pick it up.

Anker PowerWave II:

Mobile Device Stands for Travel?-ankerstand-png
    Last edited by GrussGott; 02-22-2020 at 01:19 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have this Nintendo Switch stand that works well for my kindle when reading. Those are the only devices I have tried it on but it would likely work with a tablet. It's very convenient but it's on the larger size, which would be good for larger devices, bu a bit absurd for a small phone. There are smaller holders for phones, however.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Iíve found these to be good, they fold down flat and they support my 7th gen iPad just fine

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...or_mobile.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Bordeaux, Paris
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use an Otter Box case for my iPad. It has a built in stand which will do what you want well. As an added bonus, it protects the device very well, so that I don’t use any other kind of case.

Forum Member
    Jacksonville, FL
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mobile Device Stands for Travel?-win_20200227_16_43_15_pro-jpg

I like the multi-purposeness of binder clips

Silicon Valley
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imperator View Post
    I like the multi-purposeness of binder clips
    you're like the binder-clip whisperer. CAHrazy.

Forum Member
    Jacksonville, FL
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
    you're like the binder-clip whisperer.
    "Lighter than Air, Stronger than Whiskey, and Cheaper than Dirt"

I'd have been a barbed wire salesman in another era

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For an iPad try the Compass from TwelveSouth

https://www.twelvesouth.com/products...17674732732473

I have one and use it frequently. The only catch is it wonít work with thick or bulky cases (Otterbox for example), but it lets you prop it up at multiple angles and is quite sturdy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

California
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll second @GrussGott 's suggestion about the Anker stand. It folds flat and it clicks into different angles easily. I works well with different sized devices and it's sturdy. I think I only paid $10 for it. This one's my go to for travel because of how versatile it is.

Mobile Device Stands for Travel?-anker-w800-h600-jpg

For video conferences on my phone at home I have a tabletop tripod with a ball head. I have one of those spring-loaded device holders with a tripod mount for my phone. This lets me adjust the angle on my desk and put it in landscape or portrait easily as well.

Mobile Device Stands for Travel?-tripod-w800-h600-jpg

Mobile Device Stands for Travel?-tripod2-w800-h600-jpg
    Last edited by Awesomepants; 05-10-2020 at 06:25 PM.