Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Downeast Maine
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wowed by comment from TSA employee

I recently (got home today) flew from Maine to Colorado for a week. On my way through security in Boston my western flyer needed extra searching. In it I had four packing cubes, my clear organizer, down coat & hood, journal & shoulder strap along with the assorted bits & bobs. The lady (very nice lady) opens my bag pulls out the cubes squishes them a bit, looks at me and says, this is the most neatly packed bag Iíve seen in 13 years. Then with a big smile on her face she tells me, you know, itís ok to be a little messy. Made getting through Boston just a little easier. Yes, I know, a western flyer & side kick for just a week is overkill. 😊
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

Alabama
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any pics of your load out? I am a bit of a packing list nut.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Not all who wander are lost"
    "Love people, use things, because the opposite never works" - The Minimalists
    Synapse 25 in Olive, Aubergine Side Effect, UV A30 PCBP, Sitka PCSB

Forum Member
    Alaska
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    Yes, I know, a western flyer & side kick for just a week is overkill. ��
    Greetings,
    If those bags are overkill, then what is the ideal? As a minimalist packer, I really want to see your packing list. I'm always looking for better ways to pack. (I know this might sound snarky, but that is not my intention at all. I am genuinely interested and hope you will share.)

Kudos for the excellent packing. I know it makes the TSA employee's job easier. As a traveler, I appreciate that a lot! elisa

Forum Member
    Perth, Australia
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I once flew into Australia (where I live) and in my A30 I had a few boxes of cigars (that I would have had to pay a rather large duty bill if they would have found them). The border force person opens the bag and sees two PCSB, and then below that was two small packing cubes. She slowly kind of peeled the bags up and apart and said she didnít want to mess up my neat packing and stopped looking through. She then opened the side pockets and saw the TSS and just gave up.

TB packing OCD saved me at least a grand in taxes Wowed by comment from TSA employeeWowed by comment from TSA employee

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Downeast Maine
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaGirl View Post
    Greetings,
    If those bags are overkill, then what is the ideal? As a minimalist packer, I really want to see your packing list. I'm always looking for better ways to pack. (I know this might sound snarky, but that is not my intention at all. I am genuinely interested and hope you will share.)

Kudos for the excellent packing. I know it makes the TSA employee's job easier. As a traveler, I appreciate that a lot! elisa
    Good morning, not snarky at all. As to ideal, I really wanted to have nothing more than my pilot & side kick. That would’ve been perfect but just couldn’t pull it off this time. I wore jeans, turtle neck, light jacket & down coat, scarf with pockets, & shoes. Carried my WF with 2 eagle creek cubes & two long skinny EC cubes. In them were 2 turtle necks, 1 PJ top, 1PJ bottom, 2 yoga type pants, one skinny one was socks & underwater & then other skinny was odds & ends, coffee & other life necessities. In the WF was also my clear organizer 3-1-1 type bag, journal/calendar & side effect with toothbrush, soap & so on. In the outside zip pockets were snacks & other bits & bobs. In the side kick, first aid kit in a TB pouch, another with a crafty project, phone, pouch with assorted cables & ear phones, meds, passport, paper towels, fold up tote bag, keys, pouch full of gift cards, checkbook, flashlight, mini Q-kit with nail clippers, extra battery, eyeglass repair kit, mini bic lighter and who know what else. Apologies, didn’t think to take photos, had not slept in 30+/- hours. Came home & dumped everything in the wash. I had access to washer & dryer & did do one load while I was away. Next trip I will send a few things ahead of time that can stay there permanently. Coffee drip, filters, soap, & some clothes and other non-perishables. My daughter had been extremely ill & just got hone after a 8 week hospital stay. I will be making several trips over the next few months. Maybe I will be able to reach my goal of pilot & side kick only. Apologies in advance if this is TMI. Moose

I should add I generally carry a pocket knife in my side kick but for some odd reason the TSA takes a rather dim view of such things so I had to leave it at home.
    Last edited by Moose; 02-23-2020 at 04:41 AM.

Forum Member
    Alaska
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Greetings,
    That's an excellent packing list! I've only used the EC long tube once, so this gives me ideas for test packing the new Synik30. I've not played with it to see how to pack it yet.

Thank you so much for sharing! elisa

Downeast Maine
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Elisa, you’re welcome. If you have any questions about I do something just let me know. While I’m no expert I am considered our family’s best packer. Can’t count the number of times someone had asked me to pack their stuff because I can get more in less space than anyone. Seems to be the only God given talent I have. ��

Oh, and I have managed a week in a Synapse 25. That was an interesting packing challenge. Trip ended up being cancelled due to weather so I have no idea how it would have worked out. If you can search my really old posts there’s a picture of that packing list somewhere.
    Last edited by Moose; 02-23-2020 at 05:17 AM.

Forum Member
    Alaska
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, I also dream of traveling with just the Pilot and a ukulele.

Hands-free is sometimes desirable, so I bring a Daylight Backpack OR a Packing Cube Backpack. Either one will tuck flat in the Pilot. Then when I need to wear the Pilot in backpack mode, the Pilot slides into the DLBP or the PCBP. I used this setup for a weekend car trip once, but I dream of this for air travel. So light, so effortless, no worries about the lack of carry on space in the overhead.

Thanks again! elisa

Downeast Maine
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I want at least the option to be hands free when I travel. It makes things so much easier. The goal is no questions from the TSA, hands Free and no back ache at the end of the day. If I can do that, it’s a good day.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Moose, thanks for sharing the packing list
    Glad your daughter is home and recovering - best wishes for her health!
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Silicon Valley
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    On my way through security in Boston my western flyer needed extra searching ... [she] looks at me and says, this is the most neatly packed bag I’ve seen in 13 years
    ha, that's great! Same - I've gotten this a few times flying around the west coast and once in Minneapolis from a TSA person who actually kinda cut the search short! She opened the bag, looked at me, gave me the cocked eyebrow and said, "this isn't your first time traveling huh?" "ha, nope, third flight this month" "ok, you're good" Invader

My normal pack is a WF using a DLBP as the main packing cube, and PCSBs in the front.
    Last edited by GrussGott; 02-23-2020 at 07:46 PM.