Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Forum Member
    Seattle
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cancel or go to Europe in April

So my husband and I are scheduled to go to Amsterdam, Venice, Florence and Paris on April 1 for three weeks. He is freaked about the coronavirus. I'm taking a wait and see approach, but the date is fast upon us. What would you do?

France
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would suggest you at least need to be open to adjusting your itinerary as situation changes, and especially to follow travel advice being published relating to the countries you plan to visit.

Of course - contrary to sometimes extreme images of press/TV - most people here are not affected and normal situation, but increasingly as precautionary measures there are some limitations on travel and also on forms of self-quarantine for up to 14 days if having travelled in certain risk areas. But this is really no different to any part of world and many other diseases or risks.

Also ease of your decision might be influenced by what travel insurance cover you have and how it applies to current situation? And also what state of health you are in, are you at higher risk of illness?

Personally I would still travel if it was for something special, but I would absolutely make sure I have good travel and medical insurance - just in case.

Forum Member
    Seattle
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBadD View Post
    I would suggest you at least need to be open to adjusting your itinerary as situation changes, and especially to follow travel advice being published relating to the countries you plan to visit.

Of course - contrary to sometimes extreme images of press/TV - most people here are not affected and normal situation, but increasingly as precautionary measures there are some limitations on travel and also on forms of self-quarantine for up to 14 days if having travelled in certain risk areas. But this is really no different to any part of world and many other diseases or risks.

Also ease of your decision might be influenced by what travel insurance cover you have and how it applies to current situation? And also what state of health you are in, are you at higher risk of illness?

Personally I would still travel if it was for something special, but I would absolutely make sure I have good travel and medical insurance - just in case.

Our friends are turning 50 and rented a CASTLE for their friends outside Florence, which is the main reason for the trip. We are healthy and do have trip insurance, so I guess at this point it's a waiting game to see how things shake out. It's my husband's first trip, so I hate to cancel unless absolutely necessary.

Not necessarily afraid of getting it there so much as things still being closed, etc. I figure it will reach us here eventually anyway.

By the seaside, England
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I work for a global media organisation based in London, which is part of an even larger media company headquartered in Germany. We had guidance from "head office" today that with immediate effect and for the foreseeable future, wherever possible staff should limit business related travel to essential trips only and aim to use conference calls, video conferencing etc instead. The company has also made it very clear that they are keen for people to work from home if/when infection becomes a significant risk.

Ironically, I already work from home about 80-90% of my time, normally visiting London office for a couple of days every week or two. While the risk of infection - currently - is minute, I have a history of picking up whatever "lurgy" is making the rounds of the office and bringing it home to my partner - who has heart problems and COPD. So for the foreseeable future, my regular trips to London are on hold because of the potentially very serious personal impact in the extremely unlikely event of an epidemic taking hold.

The situation could also change a lot between now and April, given that there have recently been significant outbreaks in previously unaffected countries. At the moment, most countries are in containment mode, trying to prevent the spread of the infection "in the wild". If that fails, things will move to management mode, treating the afflicted. Fingers crossed that doesn't happen.
    A45CC K CQPC 3DCCGES25 SK SCBQKTTMCBLSB TT TSS4 PCSBSCBTT CQPC PQBPQK LT SETT 3DCCQKS19 TT P3DCCTS PP BBLCBCP TTRi QK NFTD A30DLBC

Forum Member
    New Zealand
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm in a similar situation, with 3 weeks in France and Belgium planned, starting on 7 April. At the moment I'm still going but keeping an eye on things. If it gets to the point where many things are closed, or the levels of infection are high, then I'll cancel.
    A30 in original halcyon/wasabi. Side Kick in verde/northwest sky and cloud/viridian, Pop Tote in Mars Red and Nebulous Grey, Travel Cubelet in Mars Red, Viridian and Grass, A30 packing cube backpack in northwest sky, large travel tray in sitka, packing cubes, pouches and cubelets

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulT00 View Post
    Ironically, I already work from home about 80-90% of my time, normally visiting London office for a couple of days every week or two. While the risk of infection - currently - is minute, I have a history of picking up whatever "lurgy" is making the rounds of the office and bringing it home to my partner - who has heart problems and COPD. So for the foreseeable future, my regular trips to London are on hold because of the potentially very serious personal impact in the extremely unlikely event of an epidemic taking hold.
    I had to check the spelling, because I thought this word was spelled "lurgi" -- based on the old Goon show episode title (e.g. "Lurgi Strikes Britain"). I guess it would be more difficult to parse with the "i" ending instead of "y". Incidentally, autocorrect tried to turn "lurgi" into "large".

Stay healthy, all

moriond

Silicon Valley
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Denises View Post
    I'm in a similar situation, with 3 weeks in France and Belgium planned, starting on 7 April. At the moment I'm still going but keeping an eye on things. If it gets to the point where many things are closed, or the levels of infection are high, then I'll cancel.
    We have a similar situation to the OP also in April and we're taking the wait and see approach (and agree, that just like any flu strain it's going to get to all of us eventually - or not). Some things we're thinking about:

(1.) Already mentioned, but trip insurance
    (2.) Per #1, we're ready for flights or other things to cancel; we're pre-planning our reactions
    (3.) We may be quarantined at any point in the trip - we're ok with it, and staying wherever we are for 3-4 weeks
    (4.) During travel, we attempt to stay at least 6' away from anyone visibly ill, and practice good travel precautions (don't touch eyes/nose/mouth, hand wash for 20 sec, etc)
    (5.) Always better to cook your own meals and avoid eating out - if we do, we avoid anything not pretty hot (we do this anyway)

In most ways, at least so far, this isn't any different than what we're normally prepared for anyway - it's just now, the probability is somewhat higher.
    Last edited by GrussGott; 02-28-2020 at 12:22 PM.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Various studies in the US found that 90%+ people don't wash their hands thoroughly/properly

Here's the WHO method that seems to be the gold standard for how we're supposed to do it

https://www.who.int/gpsc/clean_hands_protection/en/
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Minneapolis
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulT00 View Post
    I work for a global media organisation based in London, which is part of an even larger media company headquartered in Germany. We had guidance from "head office" today that with immediate effect and for the foreseeable future, wherever possible staff should limit business related travel to essential trips only and aim to use conference calls, video conferencing etc instead. The company has also made it very clear that they are keen for people to work from home if/when infection becomes a significant risk.
    The meeting I was traveling to Germany for work for in March was just cancelled as of this afternoon, so it seems this is becoming more widespread advice in the business world. I think that we're going to be looking at more video conferencing and "virtual" meetings in the near-term.

If I had vacation plans to Europe in March or April, I think I'd be sitting tight for another week or so at least, but watching developments very closely.
    "I'm more of a creative problem solver with good taste and a soft spot for logistical nightmares.” ― Maria Semple, Where'd You Go, Bernadette

Forum Member
    UK
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was in Venice from 8th to 15th Feb, before the outbreak in northern Italy, and everything was normal (apart from a few places being closed due to flood damage from the aqua Alta in November).
    A week after I got back, hundreds of people on the mainland were infected, the rest of carnival was being cancelled and all the museums and galleries were closed.
    Anything can happen in a very short timescale. All we can do is think ahead as best we can, which you're evidently all doing already.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As of yesterday, the CDC raised the warning for Italy to Level 3. Meaning avoid travel to Italy unless absolutely necessary.

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/notices...onavirus-italy

I had planned to be in Italy in early May as part of an extended trip and have rearranged that portion to go somewhere else.

You could go to your original destinations as planned and reschedule the time in Italy to somewhere else. Of course, keep monitoring the situation.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We just bailed on a trip to Madrid and Granada for 3/11. I'm in Seattle where there has been an outbreak and 6 deaths due to the coronavirus. It's not the fear of getting it, but rather getting stuck someplace. It's all so on the edge right now. In a couple weeks there could be all kinds of outbreaks. Northern Italy is totally out of the question now.

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We still have not made our reservations for our trip to Germany for July/August for the same reasons. I want to see what happens.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We just cancelled our trip to Italy that was scheduled for 4/11-23 - our plan had been to fly in and out of Rome and then travel to Venice & Florence. Like others above, I'm not afraid of getting sick, but more of potential quarantines (I work for a hospital) and also places that we wanted to visit being closed. We were going to go with the wait and see approach, but since the CDC just raised the travel warning level (and also because it was no longer fun planning for a trip that had a very good chance of being cancelled), we decided to go ahead and make the decision for ourselves and plan something else instead. Italy will happen again - this just wasn't the right time for us.
    A30 - Original Halcyon/UV MB - Aubergine/NWS LCB - Original Halcyon/Wasabi! MCB - Steel dyneema/Wasabi! STT - Wasabi! SE - NORDIC/Solar TT - Sitka

TB Newbie Rainbow First factory visit - 9/21/2018

Heart’s desire: a S19 or S25 in original NORDIC.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it makes sense to wait until summer. Usually most flu strains disappear as it warms up. I am confident we will see most of this subsiding by the beginning of May in Europe..

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast