Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tom Bihn donating masks

In case you don't have Facebook, the good folks at Tom Bihn announced they are donating their extra N95 face masks--they had on hand from the smoky fire season a few years ago--to the Seattle Children's Hospital. A big thumbs up to them for doing the right thing--as if this is unusual. It's not.

It's unlike another company I do business with who announced they have contracted to have special N95 masks made for any customer who wishes to purchase them. But in small print it says it will not prevent you getting a virus or flu. I guess it's just to make money. I don't think I'll be doing business with them any longer.

The reason I recommend Tom Bihn products to people who ask me about good bags, is not just the quality of the product but the quality of the way they deal with their customers and the world.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Frank II; 03-19-2020 at 05:02 AM.
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

Forum Member
    Bordeaux, Paris
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tom and crew, you are great. Thanks to Frank II for posting this for those of us who have dumped Facebook.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As always TB Crew shows us what real class is all about.

Huge virtual hugs to Darcy, Tom and Nick!

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Props to TB crew!

Forum Member
    UK
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I want to add my thank you and appreciation for the TB crew.....I have said it before but will say it again...."you really are the best". Smilie

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    The far west
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the topic of masks.... folks have been asking us if we could manufacture masks for healthcare workers. Here's the response I posted over in Facebook:

We’re ready to be of service to begin making masks. Tom and Nik actually designed three different prototype N95 “mask covers” last week — they are intended to be worn over N95s in an effort to extend their life. We can also easily make “surgical mask” type masks.

We’ve been in talks about this with various people over the last week; my sense is that there’s some logistics and organizational stuff that needs to be figured out before we can be given the go to be part of this effort, which makes sense.

We are actively looking to connect with hospital representatives or healthcare workers or government officials to whom we can offer our factory and our sewing skills — if you know of anyone in the aforementioned groups, please share my email address: darcy@tombihn.com

We’d also like to connect with doctors or other healthcare professionals who could give us feedback on the N95 covers or other mask designs or anything else we could make to support healthcare personnel and their efforts. I mean, you guys know what we make: look at how complex the Synik is to manufacture. Given our skills, perhaps there’s other things we could make.

It’s a very generous offer to buy masks that we make so they can be donated. Before and if we do something like that, I want to make sure we’re making the most needed type of mask and that they’re going where they can be of immediate use. - Darcy (darcy@tombihn.com)
    Have a question? @Darcy (to make sure I see it)

Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    The far west
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We're at the factory tonight making more prototype masks. Next up: we need to secure materials (can't use our bag materials; they aren't breathable) and confirm that hospitals, clinics, and their healthcare workers can use these masks.

We made a blog post about these efforts so it can be shared: https://www.tombihn.com/blogs/main/masks-ppe

Tom Bihn donating masks-mask-made-seattle-4-jpg

Credit for this mask design goes to: https://kaastailored.com/
    We learned of their effort this evening they are doing great work. For those of you who sew at home... note the "Maker Friends" link.
    Have a question? @Darcy (to make sure I see it)

Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    On the topic of masks.... folks have been asking us if we could manufacture masks for healthcare workers. Here's the response I posted over in Facebook:

We’re ready to be of service to begin making masks. Tom and Nik actually designed three different prototype N95 “mask covers” last week — they are intended to be worn over N95s in an effort to extend their life. We can also easily make “surgical mask” type masks.

We’ve been in talks about this with various people over the last week; my sense is that there’s some logistics and organizational stuff that needs to be figured out before we can be given the go to be part of this effort, which makes sense.

We are actively looking to connect with hospital representatives or healthcare workers or government officials to whom we can offer our factory and our sewing skills — if you know of anyone in the aforementioned groups, please share my email address: darcy@tombihn.com

We’d also like to connect with doctors or other healthcare professionals who could give us feedback on the N95 covers or other mask designs or anything else we could make to support healthcare personnel and their efforts. I mean, you guys know what we make: look at how complex the Synik is to manufacture. Given our skills, perhaps there’s other things we could make.

It’s a very generous offer to buy masks that we make so they can be donated. Before and if we do something like that, I want to make sure we’re making the most needed type of mask and that they’re going where they can be of immediate use. - Darcy (darcy@tombihn.com)

First, you guys are awesome. Period, full stop.

Second, as odd as it sounds, you may want to tweet some governors and state health commissioners of area or high-need states. That's what Christian Siriano did to get hooked up with making masks for NY state.

Finally, re: your other things comment -- I'm not a medical professional at all but have been keeping up with the regional governors' announcements in my area (NJ/NY/CT/PA), and one thing the NJ gov -- and, if I recall correctly, the NY gov may have, too -- said just a day or two ago is that they've been working so hard to secure masks that they haven't been able to deal with shortages in PPE gowns. (Which might be a place where the usual TB materials could be advantageous, rather than suffocating.)