Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Thread: dreaming...

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

dreaming...

We're likely not going anywhere we can't drive to (and even then we'll be staying close) for the summer, and possibly into 2021. So of course that whets my appetite for travel! What trips are you dreaming of taking? (They don't have to be ones you realistically are planning, just any place you would like to go.). Here are some of my daydreams:

Camp on the Mongolian steppes

Greece - I always wanted to go to Santorini - we considered it for our honeymoon but never went - and here we are, twenty years later. Funny how time flies.

The Ice Hotel (though, since Sweden is pursuing such a different strategy from other countries right now, perhaps the Canadian version or a cabin in Finland will do?)

Italy - Lake Como and Cinque Terre. I would love to see the view for myself some day!

Morocco and the blue Kasbah
    Last edited by haraya; 06-27-2020 at 08:25 AM.

Natick, MA
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a fun thread! Iíll playSmilie

This is certainly a distant dream given conditions, but my kiddo is just getting to that age where Disney World would be a blast for us all. She doesnít need diapers or a stroller and has a bit of patience to stand in lines. Last year we took her to StoryLand in New Hampshire as a test run and she loved it. We are so ready...We were planning for a Disney trip during Thanksgiving 2020 but maybe in 2021!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Boston, MA
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go to Santorini! (when they’re open to visitors!) it is truly beautiful. But visit some of the lesser known Greek islands too. All pretty and way less expensive!

I am hoping to someday get to the Galapagos. Read a lot of Darwin in college and would love to see these islands.

New Zealand is on my list for possibly relocating, so I might want to visit there sometime before I need to move! Ha!

Another dream is to get to Namibia. Probably not going to happen it these are dream destinations, right? Namibia has a stark beauty that would be a great place to practice our photography.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fun! We went to Disney in FL when my daughter was about 6 or 7, and my son was around 2. I think we * just * missed the window for her princess phase. (My taste in princesses runs more to Princess Leia, but DD was briefly into the Disney ones. Smilie) I had high hopes for the Magic Kingdom but it turns out Animal Kingdom was the highlight of our trip. We also had to contend with torrential downpours and a high fever (DS) that necessitated a trip to the urgent care clinic. So.... whenever you go, my one tip is - be flexible! Smilie

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I definitely want to visit a bunch of islands! I hear Patmos is wonderful too, and family members went to Andros I believe. We were fortunate enough to be in Greece - mainland only - last year, for a relative's birthday. Meteora was stunning. And the Acropolis made an impression on the kids, even though it was scorching hot on the day we visited.

I just finished reading Gerald Durrell's hilarious memoir, "My Family and Other Animals," about his childhood growing up on Corfu.

I want to go to Middle Earth - I mean, New Zealand - as well! We have family in Asia and so my thought was that in a couple of years we would do a big trip and spend a few weeks traveling on that side of the world. That may be a few more years away now. I hope that can still happen. (I would love to move to NZ too, but I think hubby might have a fit! Smilie)

And the Galapagos... ahhh. That's a dream trip for me too.

Quote Originally Posted by Traveltech View Post
    Go to Santorini! (when they’re open to visitors!) it is truly beautiful. But visit some of the lesser known Greek islands too. All pretty and way less expensive!

I am hoping to someday get to the Galapagos. Read a lot of Darwin in college and would love to see these islands.

New Zealand is on my list for possibly relocating, so I might want to visit there sometime before I need to move! Ha!

Another dream is to get to Namibia. Probably not going to happen it these are dream destinations, right? Namibia has a stark beauty that would be a great place to practice our photography.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Around the world flight. USA>>Europe>>UAE>>Australia+NZ>>Japan>>Hawaii>>Wes tern US

Far fetched but possible. Fly West to East for shortest flight times. Pick off the beaten path spots (my best trips have been to places I didn't expect to go until I went last minute). Stay for 7-10 days in each spot. A more budget friendly trip may omit half the stops.

USA - spend day or two before flight in a big city
    Europe - Ireland, UK, or Eastern Europe
    UAE - don't know why but I always had this desire to stay at the hotel in the Burj Kalifa
    Australia - a week only allows major cities for touring as big as it is
    NZ - not so much a certain site, just seems like nice people, beautiful landscape and some neat farms (need to farm tour for business expense deduction lol)
    Japan - seems like such a different atmosphere yet modern. I like the history of architecture
    Hawaii - the landscape and tropical island feel, worry it is too modern, but need experience of it. Certainly stay away from tourist spots to see real Hawaii
    Western US - maybe need to go to a factory of all places

Someday, sometime. Right now I am happy in Midwest or western Europe. Time to go beyond.

Rhetorical question - with the lack of travel vacations, if people's income wasn't disrupted these last months, will vacation budgets get longer, further, more expensive, or closer, cheaper, shorter, more frequent?

Forum Member
    Boston, MA
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by organicfarmer View Post
    Around the world flight. USA>>Europe>>UAE>>Australia+NZ>>Japan>>Hawaii>>Wes tern US

Far fetched but possible. Fly West to East for shortest flight times. Pick off the beaten path spots (my best trips have been to places I didn't expect to go until I went last minute). Stay for 7-10 days in each spot. A more budget friendly trip may omit half the stops.
    Ooh... This sounds wonderful! Do they still offer around the world flight tickets?

Forum Member
    New Zealand
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by organicfarmer View Post

Sounds like a great trip! May I suggest a modification? USA>>Europe>>UAE>>Japan>>Australia+NZ>>Hawaii>>Wes tern US

Going to Australia and New Zealand first means you're backtracking to go to Japan. Doha to Auckland was at one time the longest scheduled flight in the world at over 17 hours long. Doha or Dubai to Tokyo is about 10 hours. Tokyo to Sydney is about 9 hours, and Tokyo to Auckland is about 11 hours.
    A30 in original halcyon/wasabi. Side Kick in verde/northwest sky and cloud/viridian, Pop Tote in Mars Red and Nebulous Grey, Travel Cubelet in Mars Red, Viridian and Grass, A30 packing cube backpack in northwest sky, large travel tray in sitka, packing cubes, pouches and cubelets

Forum Member
    New Zealand
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Currently I want to go to Paris, a trip that was scheduled for April but got cancelled. The only trip in the near future is a weekend trip to Auckland, where I'm planning to go to a couple of exhibitions and go shopping.

I'm also dreaming of being somewhere warm, and thinking about this time last year when I was in Hokkaido.

dreaming...-wb-img_2395-jpg
    A30 in original halcyon/wasabi. Side Kick in verde/northwest sky and cloud/viridian, Pop Tote in Mars Red and Nebulous Grey, Travel Cubelet in Mars Red, Viridian and Grass, A30 packing cube backpack in northwest sky, large travel tray in sitka, packing cubes, pouches and cubelets

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Traveltech View Post
    Ooh... This sounds wonderful! Do they still offer around the world flight tickets?
    As of a year ago when I looked, yes they do. What surprised me was the cost for economy was 2500-3000 USD. That price was shockingly low to me until I thought about how a cheap roundtrip to Europe was 500USD for 10-12k miles. If you don't reverse direction, that is almost half way around the world. I recall pricing individual flights to where I wanted to go at the time. Using the lowest flight cost for each leg of journey I would have been able to fly around the world cheaper than that. Bottom line, flying around the world is a benefit to say I have done that, but the individual stops are what make the trip.

Quote Originally Posted by Denises View Post
    Sounds like a great trip! May I suggest a modification? USA>>Europe>>UAE>>Japan>>Australia+NZ>>Hawaii>>Wes tern US

Going to Australia and New Zealand first means you're backtracking to go to Japan. Doha to Auckland was at one time the longest scheduled flight in the world at over 17 hours long. Doha or Dubai to Tokyo is about 10 hours. Tokyo to Sydney is about 9 hours, and Tokyo to Auckland is about 11 hours.
    I learned geography today. I didn't research my post but I recalled JAL for US to Australia round trip had a layover in their hub so I assumed my order made sense. 10 hours is the max I can tolerate on a plane in premium economy. Business I think I could do 12. (Not that I would want to.)

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a fun thread. I have hopes that a trip planned for December will happen. It will cruise from Athens to Lebanon and Egypt. Had three trips cancelled so far, but doing lots of downsizing stuff around the house.

I did fly an “around the world” ticket eleven years ago from California to Spain, Morocco, South Africa, India, Munich and back to California. Didn’t really do the India to California part because of flight routes, but the 24+ hours for Johannesburg to London to New Delhi just about did me in.

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I want to go back to Germany. Dad's hometown is still planning on installing a monument to the Jews who were deported. I'm trying to write a thank you letter for him to send, since we're all self isolating in Florida and aren't going anywhere any time soon.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife & I met in Zimbabwe, shortly after independence in 1980. We used planes, trains, buses, borrowed car and hitchhiking to get around Zimbabwe, South Africa, Malawi, Tanzania, and a few countries in Europe.

I want to see it all! Or at least a good selection. We have several dream trips in mind in no particular order: train across Canada, taking our time at various stops, a van/camping trip through the National Parks of the Western U.S., riding some long bike paths (my brother & I rode the Katy in Missouri and the Oregon coast) likely with my wife in a chase vehicle, seeing much of Europe, preferably the villages/small restaurants/local points of interest along with typical tourist attractions. My great-grandfather was born in New Zealand, so that's definitely on the list. We have a niece from Thailand, and one born in Korea--teaching English in either country for several months would be a way to finance those trips. Infinite possibilities.

Minneapolis
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Denises View Post
    I'm also dreaming of being somewhere warm, and thinking about this time last year when I was in Hokkaido.
    I would go back to Hokkaido (and to the teeny camper van I rented there) in a second! It was my favorite part of my trip to Japan, and I didn't feel like I had anywhere near enough time to do it justice.

I'm currently dreaming of a (*fingers crossed*) possible trip in March 2021, as I found a super cheap business class fare with miles to Peru--Machu Picchu and other Inca sites are on my bucket list. Everything is 100% cancelable in case travel isn't possible, but it's nice to have something to plan and look forward to.
    "I'm more of a creative problem solver with good taste and a soft spot for logistical nightmares.Ē ― Maria Semple, Where'd You Go, Bernadette