Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mid 1980's US to Germany Flight Ticket Price

What price would someone have paid for a coach ticket from the US to Germany in the mid 1980's?

Internet search shows maybe $4,000 in todays dollars for NYC to Amsterdam with unlisted year. Other sites list price comparisons in domestic US flights over the years, but unable to get a search for the data so I thought someone here may know a ballpark ticket price.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my quick googling came to ~$4,200 as well

the US airline industry deregulated in 1978 but it took quite a while for competition to drop prices...
    Last edited by G42; 07-13-2020 at 04:09 PM.
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Minneapolis
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found a post on another forum where someone said they bought a r/t from New York to Europe in the mid-80s for $1,600 or so. That's $3,800 in today's dollars so it sounds like you're in the right ballpark.

I know flying used to be more expensive, but I hadn't realized quite how much! Side note: I just checked the domestic route I used to fly home from college in the late 90s, where sub-$500 was considered an excellent fare, and $200 seems pretty standard today. (It brings back memories of running through the tunnel that connects the B and C gates at O'Hare to make my flight)
    Last edited by kathryn; 07-14-2020 at 06:59 AM.
    "I'm more of a creative problem solver with good taste and a soft spot for logistical nightmares. ― Maria Semple, Where'd You Go, Bernadette

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! I'm surprised it's so high. I flew from BWI to Frankfurt in March of 1983 for a month long visit with a sibling in Wurzburg. I'd graduated the previous year and was working my first job as a staff nurse in a hospital and it must not have seemed exorbitant at the time or I'd recollect that.
    Oddly, I remember what I wore for the flight-a skirt and jacket suit with boots. I took the boots off during the flight, my feet swelled and I had trouble getting the boots back on...live and learn! And I had a humongous suitcase that was green \_(ツ)_/

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember charter flights being available in the 1970s. I think it was under $600 to fly from California to London. This was part of a university study course.