Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Modify first V1 face mask?

Hi all! Tried searching on this topic and couldn't find anything so hoping someone is able to provide some input. Was curious if anyone has modified the very first V1 face mask and inserted a pipe cleaner or plastic tie on the nose bridge to help make a more snug fit? I wear glasses so hoping to modify my current mask instead of purchasing another. Thanks in advance!

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When the metal bit that's in there broke, I just slid in another twist tie and shaped it to my nose.

I wear glasses and it took a little trial and error to figure out the correct nose placement of the top of the mask to make the V1 fit without steaming up my glasses, but it works.

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jessiew View Post
    Hi all! Tried searching on this topic and couldn't find anything so hoping someone is able to provide some input. Was curious if anyone has modified the very first V1 face mask and inserted a pipe cleaner or plastic tie on the nose bridge to help make a more snug fit? I wear glasses so hoping to modify my current mask instead of purchasing another. Thanks in advance!
    @G42 likes to use the plastic ties that come at the top of Peet's Coffee Bags (I used these as a way to control straps on the Luminary 15 before we had the strap retainers). I found that in a few cases the stitching on the band of the v1 nose bridge was too tight for these to fit, but in most cases I could slide these in. By the way, I haven't actually had to do this for my own masks. When they sent us the prototypes, the wire didn't come inserted (it was separately in the package), and we were experimenting with other ties etc. that could be used if people lost the wire, which now comes inserted in the mask, and with the ends folded back). I don't wear glasses, but @G42 does, so you may find that this works well for you. (I also don't drink that much coffee, but I have a source of these ties from the tops of Peet's Coffee bags someone else who does). This works pretty well, because the outside of the ties is coated with plastic, and also gently ridged so that it slides into place without slipping. The only caveat is that in a few of the v1 masks the spacing may be sewn just slightly too narrowly for this twist tie to fit in. This fit into all the v1 masks I've received except for one of the very first ones that they sent us (I think this was light blue in color, and it nearly fit).

HTH

moriond

ETA: Some pictures
    Modify first V1 face mask?-img_4897-jpg
    This is a v1 mask with the default twist-tie inserted in place. Below it is one of the plastic ties from the top of Peet's coffee bags. Above it is another grocery tie
    Modify first V1 face mask?-img_4898-jpg
    I've taken out the twist-tie that ships with the mask, and inserted the Peet's coffee tie. You can see that it occupies most of the width, but fits in easily, and is flat and moldable, so that it works well to fit over the nose. Other solutions will also work. You can cut the long edges and bend it back so there are no sharp edges.
    Last edited by moriond; 08-13-2020 at 12:32 PM. Reason: Added images

-5 GMT EST/EDT
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used some copper wire that I had in my jewelry making box and bent the ends back so there'd be no sharp edges.
    Proud owner of: Pop Tote in cloud, Aeronaut 30 in steel/iberian, Travel Cubelet in Dawn, Travel Cubelet in Nebulous Grey , SE in steel parapack, SSB in black halcyon, Truck in Nebulous Gray, Co-Pilot in Black Halcyon/Iberian,Pickup Truck in Mars Red Small Zipped shop bag in black, Small Zipped shop bag in Dawn numerous pouches, 3D cubes, Q kits and straps, Cubelets and Ghost Whales!

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As @moriond said, I use the flat plastic ties from the Peet's coffee bags. Only one of my masks hasn't been able to fit it.
    Usually I cut off a small bit of excess length, insert the tie, and bend over both ends to keep it secure. I find that pre-shaping the center section (once it's in the mask) over the side of my forefinger - before putting the mask on - makes it easy to fit it snugly to my nose/face.
    I keep the mask a bit higher up on my nose and my glasses just below the tie - prevents fogging.

Since I'm working from home right now, I'm making coffee more and saving the ties as I go.

When I put a Peet's tie in, I take the TB supplied one and double up in the next mask until I save enough Peet's ties (I have masks in my car, the old style Side Effect I walk with, and some rotating through laundry).
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ve seen a few posts mentioning wanting to use a stiffer nose piece and I’m curious about those of you who desire this. For how long do you all typically wear the masks at one time? I wear mine for 8-10 hours a day and I have glasses. Every mask I tried that had a pipe cleaner or some other piece that was more stiff that the original TB mask inserts absolutely injured my nose. My nose would hurt after a couple hours and by the end of the day I would have a long red mark down the bridge of my nose and a deep, purple indentation where the metal piece primarily sits that turned into a lasting bruise a few times. The TB masks are by far the most comfortable and least fogging of all the masks I’ve tried and I exclusively wear them while I work, but even the TB V1 masks leave my nose sensitive and definitely marked up by Fridays.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ha, so I emailed Darcy and she was amazingly helpful. So we purchased the very first V1 and unfortunately the metal bridges or the twist ties did not come with the masks AND I had zero clue that the sewn in bridge actually has an opening to insert something... so now I know I can insert something to make it more form fitting. Thanks everyone for your help!

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gathiel View Post
    I’ve seen a few posts mentioning wanting to use a stiffer nose piece and I’m curious about those of you who desire this. For how long do you all typically wear the masks at one time? I wear mine for 8-10 hours a day and I have glasses. Every mask I tried that had a pipe cleaner or some other piece that was more stiff that the original TB mask inserts absolutely injured my nose. My nose would hurt after a couple hours and by the end of the day I would have a long red mark down the bridge of my nose and a deep, purple indentation where the metal piece primarily sits that turned into a lasting bruise a few times. The TB masks are by far the most comfortable and least fogging of all the masks I’ve tried and I exclusively wear them while I work, but even the TB V1 masks leave my nose sensitive and definitely marked up by Fridays.
    I hear you on the long days...!
    Below is the link to the review I posted about the V1 masks, after I wore them in one of my hot factories for a week. Since we've eliminated anything other than urgent travel for factory work (I'm R&D, not Ops), I'm not spending weeks at a time in a plant, so my face has time to recover.

FWIW, I really like the Peet's coffee flat plastic 'ties' for the nose piece. I find that if I form it over the edge of my forefinger, before putting the mask on, I've made a pretty good shape for the bridge of my nose...and I gently pinch/form the sides along the side of my nose so that I get a decent fit. The Peet's tie is sturdy enough to hold the shape without it necessarily digging in - the 'force' is more with the elastic ear loops to my ears than the nose piece.
    Everyone's face is shaped different though.

https://forums.tombihn.com/photos-vi...n-s-m-m-l.html
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    I hear you on the long days...!
    Below is the link to the review I posted about the V1 masks, after I wore them in one of my hot factories for a week. Since we've eliminated anything other than urgent travel for factory work (I'm R&D, not Ops), I'm not spending weeks at a time in a plant, so my face has time to recover.

FWIW, I really like the Peet's coffee flat plastic 'ties' for the nose piece. I find that if I form it over the edge of my forefinger, before putting the mask on, I've made a pretty good shape for the bridge of my nose...and I gently pinch/form the sides along the side of my nose so that I get a decent fit. The Peet's tie is sturdy enough to hold the shape without it necessarily digging in - the 'force' is more with the elastic ear loops to my ears than the nose piece.
    Everyone's face is shaped different though.

https://forums.tombihn.com/photos-vi...n-s-m-m-l.html

It seems face shape really is what matters most. The TB ear loops are so good my ears are only a little sore at the end of the week. Day to day they donít bother me. I am ops in the warehouse and I do quite a lot of loud talking. I think my nose sensitivity has a lot to do with that. As I talk the mask moves up and down the bridge of my nose. I think people donít notice that movement as much as they do the under the chin slipping. The chin movement is more annoying in the moment but the nose piece moving is what causes consistent discomfort. But any mask Iíve tried that didnít have these issues was because they werenít tight fitting.

I prefer the smaller size TB mask. It holds itself in place better than the large even though I initially thought the extra material in the large would help the slipping issue. In actuality it slides around more because it doesnít fit snuggly and thereís still the regular movements.
    Last edited by gathiel; 08-15-2020 at 04:09 PM.

San Francisco, CA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    As @moriond said, I use the flat plastic ties from the Peet's coffee bags. Only one of my masks hasn't been able to fit it.
    Usually I cut off a small bit of excess length, insert the tie, and bend over both ends to keep it secure. I find that pre-shaping the center section (once it's in the mask) over the side of my forefinger - before putting the mask on - makes it easy to fit it snugly to my nose/face.
    I keep the mask a bit higher up on my nose and my glasses just below the tie - prevents fogging.
    Many thanks to you and @moriond both for coming up with this hack and especially for sharing it! I have a bunch of V1 masks, which I love overall, but I had a big glasses fogging problem with them. My sister recently gifted me a V2 mask, and I noticed the fogging problem went away with the aluminum bridge, but I found it much harder to breathe through them. I was going to buy some aluminum bridges, but then I found this hack, tried it, and it works perfectly!

Thank you again!

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eekim View Post
    Many thanks to you and @moriond both for coming up with this hack and especially for sharing it! I have a bunch of V1 masks, which I love overall, but I had a big glasses fogging problem with them. My sister recently gifted me a V2 mask, and I noticed the fogging problem went away with the aluminum bridge, but I found it much harder to breathe through them. I was going to buy some aluminum bridges, but then I found this hack, tried it, and it works perfectly!

Thank you again!
    I'm glad it's working out for you!
    I actually still prefer the Peet's flat ties to the metal pieces in the newer TB masks...they're a bit wider and stiffer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i certainly need to modify my masks. you see i dont have that good of eyesight and have to wear glasses almost all the time and i like to have my headset on when i go for a walk ! with mask headsets get lose and glasses get all foggy ! in like 5 min and they become unusable. i have this color problem (according to test for color blindness) so im really uncomfy when the glasses get foggy !
    Last edited by bloodycolor; 10-19-2020 at 04:44 AM.
    what have you been lookin into other than glory holes