Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Emergency Preparedness / 72hr Bug Out Bag

I recently posted a test pack photo of a Brain Bag as a 72hr/Bug Out Bag and some folks seemed interested in the packaging list. Me being the geek that I am, this will be a bit more than that.

TL; DR If you want something fast, check out Wirecutter, just know that their links are US affiliate links, it’s how they pay for the site (they’re owned by the NYTimes now).
    The overall emergency preparedness page has a good summary of the steps to take:
    https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/r...-preparedness/
    and BOB: https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/r...r-bug-out-bag/

There are lots of resources, advice, and lists online. Many governments have sites with recommendations and training you can take (emergency assistance, CPR, first aid, CERT, etc). If you’re in the US, September is actually National Preparedness Month - look at ready.gov from the Feds and the state government sites for your area or normal disasters (ie, CA for earthquakes & wildfires). Lots of bloggers & supply companies have their own posts too. There are differences in details, but the basic theories are the same.
    What can happen, who are you protecting, for how long, where, etc.
    It’s in the same vein as the 10 Essentials that you’ve probably seen discussed here in the Forums for hiking
    https://www.nps.gov/articles/10essentials.htm

I like to review multiple perspectives, it's interesting.
    For some people, it can get overwhelming, especially if you haven’t thought about it much or looked into it before and if you’ve grown up in urban or suburban areas without major issues/with lots of municipal resources. You’re probably used to what you grew up with, so pay attention if/when you move areas.

The number one thing I’d suggest is just to start.
    You don’t have to spend a fortune, you can use a lot of what you already have, and you can build it up over time. I agree with Wirecutter that most pre-made kits (the full emergency kits) aren’t worth it from my experience. I had a Life Gear set up for a while that wasn't bad, but I still had to swap out and supplement, so I've moved on. First Aid kits from good companies have worked out fine for me though (AMK, J&J, etc).
    Start with your communication plan(s) if you live with your family or roommates, then move on from there.
    Helping or gifting things to relatives/kids can be a fun way to get them started. Every person should know the plan, have their own bag, and be included in the household SIP calculations.

I’m in California, so earthquakes are my biggest natural disaster potential with the concordant concerns of power loss, water main breaks, and gas main breaks. Explosions/fires from transformers or gas mains are a factor as well. I am too urban to be in a main wildfire zone but smoke from wildfires is a big issue - many of us have N95 masks during normal times because of seasonal smoke.
    Human disaster potential includes chemical release (I live within the potential cloud/gas zone of refineries).

My overall set up
    -old pair of extra shoes & a flashlight under my bed (broken glass after disasters is a problem)
    -my phone & glasses go next to my bed in the same place every night (in a TT w/my passport, etc)
    -my wallet/money/keys are in the same place near the front door every night
    -Brain Bag as my 72hr/Bug Out Bag lives near the front door
    -slightly reduced version 72hr/BOB (Synapse 25) lives in my car (this is my bag if something happens when I’m at the office or in transit)
    -I have other emergency & comfort/fun things in my car all the time (ice scrapper, jumper cables, blanket, flashlight, etc)
    -I have an inventory of my ’shelter in place’ stuff for the apartment which includes the BOB, normal shelf stable food, camping equipment, etc. I try to keep everything organized.
    -I have a small hiking/biking kit for those activities (see https://www.nps.gov/articles/10essentials.htm)
    -I live alone but have a bit more gear than strictly necessary because I’ve accumulated it over time; in the past I had family visiting which included a baby; I want to be able to help others if needed; I’d rather be comfortable than strictly minimalist; and I can always get rid of things if necessary
    ....oh, and I have a wicked small random kit that I travel with, more to prevent having to last minute buy pain meds, sew on a button, whatev

I just migrated my lists to be all electronic, with expiration dates highlighted…this is a defeatured version to facilitate copy/paste. Some stuff in the pack is in freezer Ziplocks (always useful in an emergency), some in Eagle Creek packing cubes, etc.

72hr/Bug Out Bag for the apartment
    Brain Bag & waterproof pack cover
    Water
    water bottle 21oz
    collapsible water bottle (compatible with water filter)
    water filter, mini
    water purification tablets
    12x Datrex Coast Guard approved 425mL 5yr water
    Shelter
    emergency blanket, heavy duty
    bivy
    Fire
    lighters
    stormproof matches
    firestarter/strikers
    Food
    energy bars - 3 qt ziplocks of 6 bars each=18 (Clif bars that I eat normally, rotate out every 6mo)
    spork (in hygiene kit)
    First Aid & Hygiene
    first aid kit (see below)
    hand sanitizer, small bottle
    baby wipes - sealed pkg
    heavy duty garbage bags - Husky Contractor Clean Up 42gal
    2x freezer gallon & quart ziplocks
    toothbrush & case/toothpaste or powder/floss
    bar soap, small
    liquid soap - Campsuds 4oz Nalgene
    earplugs
    comb
    glasses cloth
    pack towel 30x60” / 2 wood clothespins
    Protective Gear
    work gloves
    N95 masks
    4x TB masks (2 S/M; 2 M/L)
    Lighting
    small flashlight, 10yr shelf life batteries in bag
    headlamp, 10yr shelf life batteries in bag
    glow sticks 12hrx6
    Communication
    weather radio, hand crank + battery; can recharge phone through USB cable
    whistle on lanyard
    USB C wall charger & cord
    Tools
    multi tool - Leatherman Skeletool CX
    paracord - Paracord Planet 550 50ft
    small notebook/pencil/pen/sharpie in Ziplock
    Clothing
    bra/undies 2x/socks 2/t-shirts 2x/pants/LS heat shirt/light pullover
    foldable sun hat
    MISC
    Docs: emergency contacts; list of accounts; important #s; in Ziplock
    $200 cash (small bills) + $20 quarters
    plastic playing cards
    small roll duct tape
    tissue packs (hygiene kit)
    small folded bag
    bandana
    extra glasses

First Aid Kit - based on the AMK Sportsman 200
    first aid manual
    Instruments
    1 EMT Shears, 4”
    1 elastic bandage 2” x 5 yards
    1 splinter/tick remover forceps
    3 safety pin
    1 pencil
    1 thermometer
    Wound Care
    nitrile gloves
    1 trauma pad, 5x9”
    1 wound irrigation syringe, 10cc
    4 sterile gauze dressings, 4x4”
    4 sterile gauze dressings, 2x2”
    2 sterile non-adherent dressings, 3x4”
    1 gauze bandage, 2” x 4.1 yards
    1 cloth tape roll, 1/2” x 10 yards
    moleskin, pre-cut/shaped
    q-tips
    5 fabric bandaid, 1x3”
    5 fabric bandaid, knuckle
    3 butterfly bandaid
    3 triple antibiotic ointment sachets
    6 antiseptic wipes
    2 alcohol swabs
    Medication
    3 After Bite wipes
    4 aspirin (325 mg) (2/pkg)
    4 ibuprofen (200 mg) (2/pkg)
    4 acetaminophen (500 mg) (2/pkg)
    5 Zyrtec (cetirizine) antihistamine
    2 diotane (for upset stomach)
    vial of all day/less drowsy motion sickness pills

Hope that helps anyone who's interested
    Last edited by G42; 09-27-2020 at 07:32 AM. Reason: added detail on premade kits
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for putting all this together. I also was thinking of paper maps if cell towers go out.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BrendaH View Post
    Thanks for putting all this together. I also was thinking of paper maps if cell towers go out.
    Yup, useful thing to have if you don't have your area memorized.
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is an impressive list!

All my smaller items are inside color coded smaller TB bags for everyday and emergency.

The 3D OC is perfect for keeping sustainable and re-usable personal hygiene products. It can be thoroughly washed.

G42 has pretty much covered the essential items.

I wonder if I can just settle for a promotional first kit, as it is, or, keep it in the car and add another personalized one, held inside First/Second Aid Pouch or even one of the Spiff Kits?

I bought one, then several, before they were discontinued by Tom Bihn Inc, small and powerful pocket lights. I have one in each of my EDCs.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    This is an impressive list!

All my smaller items are inside color coded smaller TB bags for everyday and emergency.

The 3D OC is perfect for keeping sustainable and re-usable personal hygiene products. It can be thoroughly washed.

G42 has pretty much covered the essential items.

I wonder if I can just settle for a promotional first kit, as it is, or, keep it in the car and add another personalized one, held inside First/Second Aid Pouch or even one of the Spiff Kits?

I bought one, then several, before they were discontinued by Tom Bihn Inc, small and powerful pocket lights. I have one in each of my EDCs.
    For internal organization, I have the mini water filter in a #1 Travel Stuff Sack and the hand crank radio and cords are in a fabric 3DOC. The clothes are in an Eagle Creek Sil Nylon cube and most of the toiletries/hygiene in an EC small pouch. The Datrex water pouches are in a med EC pouch. I'm not super worried about frequent washing for the BOBs because they start clean, get inspected once a year, and generally the hope is that I don't need them. Smilie

I've cycled through a lot of First Aid stuff over 25years... Since I was redoing everything and finally making an electronic list, I did get the Adventure Medical Kits Sportsman 200 that I mentioned. I added a couple things like the thermometer, stomach stuff, Zyrtec instead of Benydryl, etc.
    My comment about the kits not being worth it are more about the pre-made 'emergency kits' that include more than first aid and the cheap-o first air kits. Go with a reputable first aid kit company and it should be fine.