Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need recommendation for ladies' cycling pants

Anyone have any recommendations for high-waisted cycling pants for a lady with a new bicycle and also with, um, more belly fat than she had 4 pregnancies earlier?
    Happy owner of Original copilot, Nordic Original small cafe bag, Nordic Halcyon Synapse 25, Nordic Halcyon medium cafe bag, black Halcyon Sidekick. Gave son The Maker's Bag and he LOVES it. Gave Hubby a Pilot for Christmas!

eastern Washington
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hear you. I have a bike and more belly fat than three pregnancies ago. As far as cycling pants, I look for pants that are close fitting around the ankles so they don’t get caught in the chain. Lands End and llbean both have slim leg knit pants. Not cycling pants per se, and I’m not sure of the high waisted part, but I’ve ridden my bike in them for years and they’re comfortable and wear well and don’t get caught in the chain.

HTH

Volunteer Moderator
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
    Anyone have any recommendations for high-waisted cycling pants for a lady with a new bicycle and also with, um, more belly fat than she had 4 pregnancies earlier?
    Do you need them to be cycling-specific, like with a padded seat? Or do you want them to be wind or waterproof? Full length, 7/8, crop, or shorter?

Iíve just found my ideal workout leggings from H&M (sold out now, sadly), which I never would have seen if I didnít have a really clear idea of exact features I wanted (I get easily overwhelmed by workout leggings, there are so many choices!). You may be more flexible or easygoing than I am though Need recommendation for ladies' cycling pants

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had no idea there were so many choices. EEK!

I've never tried padded-seat pants. Are they comfortable? Does the padding ever get in the way? Does it make a difference what kind of seat your bike has? Or what kind of seat YOU have? (Seems to me my tuchus has plenty of padding, do I need more?)

I think what I need is something high-waisted (because lower-waisted don't stay up on my flabby belly), not too tight (because then it's hard to move easily), and not too thin (because it's getting cold out).

Not sure about the padding!
    Happy owner of Original copilot, Nordic Original small cafe bag, Nordic Halcyon Synapse 25, Nordic Halcyon medium cafe bag, black Halcyon Sidekick. Gave son The Maker's Bag and he LOVES it. Gave Hubby a Pilot for Christmas!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What sort of cycling are you doing? Eg a work commute, recreational rides, mountain biking, just getting around on a bike instead of using the car.

I find that I don't normally need any special cycling pants if it's not fitness-related cycling. Padded seat pants are usually only useful if you're doing multi-hour rides like cycle touring.

What I normally wear are straight or skinny-cut jeans (to avoid chain snags) or mum-sweatpants (these from Uniqlo) Wink in the colder months. My typical ride is daycare duty and chores like a supermarket run.
    Last edited by ksuyin; 11-03-2020 at 07:45 PM.

Volunteer Moderator
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need recommendation for ladies' cycling pants

I had no idea there were so many choices. EEK!

I've never tried padded-seat pants. Are they comfortable? Does the padding ever get in the way? Does it make a difference what kind of seat your bike has? Or what kind of seat YOU have? (Seems to me my tuchus has plenty of padding, do I need more?)

I think what I need is something high-waisted (because lower-waisted don't stay up on my flabby belly), not too tight (because then it's hard to move easily), and not too thin (because it's getting cold out).

Not sure about the padding!
    Ah ok got it! I had assumed you might want cycling-specific features but it sounds like itís more about the right cut and fabric.

Their website can be overwhelming but I love H&M workout clothes. These are my very favorite leggings, which are mostly sold out but they seem to have a couple in size small which is around a US 6-8, UK 10-12 or thereabouts:
    https://www2.hm.com/en_us/productpage.0924656001.html

There are lots of other high waisted sports leggings on the site, like these:

Seamless Leggings High Waist
    https://www2.hm.com/en_us/productpage.0863284001.html

Athleta also carries many legging choices; these might suit as theyíre called Ultra High Rise:

https://athleta.gap.com/browse/product.do?pid=502359

Or if you donít need workout-specific clothes then you could easily do a casual ride with some high-waisted jeggings or soft cotton leggings. H&M also sells those.

If it gets REALLY cold then you could layer some tapered sweats over leggings. You really only need to keep the right pant leg off the chain, anything else goes.

I hope this helps!

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ksuyin View Post
    What sort of cycling are you doing? Eg a work commute, recreational rides, mountain biking, just getting around on a bike instead of using the car.
    I'm doing a combination of work commute (only 2 miles each way) and recreational riding on the weekends.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never gotten into leggings or tights - they make me look like a stuffed sausage Roll Eyes (Sarcastic)

For recreational riding, I tend to wear these or similar:
    https://www.amazon.com/C9-Champion-W...07TYZK6G9?th=1

They're lightweight, snug at the ankles without cutting off your circulation or snagging in the bike chain, and have an elastic waist w/drawstring. C9 is a line from Champion brand that used to be at Target but they went to their own-name brand, so now Champion is selling it on Amazon, etc.

I have capri length and full length versions that have changed features over the years (number & placement of pockets, zip/no zip, snug ankle/loose ankle, etc).
    They are full synthetic... if that doesn't bother you, they're super lightweight (I'm always warm), decent protection from the sun, don't show much dirt, pack down super tiny, etc. I used to wear them a lot on weekends, for travel, vacations...now that I am WFH most of the time, I pretty much live in them.
    The thing I don't like about the current version is the drawstring holes in the pants have metal grommets and I don't think they're as robust as reinforced buttonhole stitching... if I wait, they'll eventually switch back. I think I've been buying variations of these for 15+ years...? I used to do the Komen 3day 60mi walk and wore C9 pants every time.
    Last edited by G42; 11-04-2020 at 07:35 PM.
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Regular sweats, with a leg protector, a wide piece of strong vinyl secured with velcro, for the chain side.

Or, a pair of pant leg tighteners with are a pair of vinyl straps secured with velcro, to make each pant leg tight to the ankle.

Forum Member
    Boise, Idaho
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like cycling shoes and pedals, proper cycling shorts, with a pad -- also known as the chamois, whatever it's made of -- will change your riding experience forever. The more comfortable you are while sitting on your bike, the more often you will ride it. The more you ride, the more confident you become and you will ride for longer distances and ride to more interesting places, maybe even encourage you to find folks in your age group and and similar abilities to ride with, which, again, will completely change your enjoyment of cycling.

Women-specific cycling products are built to accommodate the anatomy and to alleviate the physical requirements of the sport. Cycling outerwear is built for the sport: rain pants come with ankle zips to easily go on and off over your shorts and cycling shoes and cycling jackets have pit zips and a long tail in the back, among other features like reflective strips and waterproof pockets.

Do you need bike-specific clothing? Of course not. You can adapt any good clothing for cycling but you will enjoy having a dedicated cycling wardrobe for many reasons that may not be apparent for a few months.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How does one assess whether padded shorts or pants are well-designed and well-made if one can't try them on?

Forum Member
    New Zealand
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How does one assess whether padded shorts or pants are well-designed and well-made if one can't try them on?
    Especially when they're usually designed for athletic body types.

I wish I knew, but I've now sized out of specific cycling gear. I've been putting together a range of normal clothing that works on my ebike, though,