Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Bay Area
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gifts Given Successfully?

Since we are in the middle of the holiday season, I find myself wanting to make sure that the gifts I give are useful and thoughtful. Ideally, I like to give gifts that are long lasting and facilitate good experiences.

After a trip to Portugal where my brother looked longingly at my Daylight backpack (and often asked me to carry things in it for him), I gave him one last Christmas. I have also given Klean Kanteen products, all of which are used daily by the recipients. I think the most perfect gift I have ever given was the paper with Bob Barker’s photo on it telling my mother that I was taking her to a taping of The Price is Right - there will be no topping that.

What gifts have you given that were spot on for their recipients? I am always on the lookout for ideas and options.

More than anything this year, I think the gifts of time and good health are the best things that we can consider. Wishing you and yours safe and merry holiday season.

Alabama
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My boyfriend is always teasing me about my love of all things Tom Bihn, but just try and pry the smart alec and laundry stuff sack Iíve given him over his cold dead body, lol! In fact when my TB box arrived a few weeks ago with my uv pcsb he was like a kid at Christmas, ďwhat did ya get? Is it for me? Oh thatís nice, is there one for me?Ē (He doesnít know yet that he is getting a travel tray for Christmas). Definitely success, but he tries to downplay it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Not all who wander are lost"
    "Love people, use things, because the opposite never works" - The Minimalists
    Synapse 25 in Olive, Aubergine Side Effect, UV A30 PCBP, Sitka PCSB

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I read somewhere that there are two types of gifts: those that you give that make YOU feel good and those that you give that make the recipient feel good (which should really make you feel good too, because it's putting them first).

Usually I give gifts that I know will be used & consumed (toiletries, specialty foods, beverages, art/hobby supplies, games, etc) based on what I know about the person, along with something that maybe is a little bit more of a treat, but that I know they will still use. Sometimes that's an experience like an annual pass to the local aquarium, movie passes for a family, or similar. Depending on the relationship, the gift of dedicated time/attention/care is often a great idea - like free extra baby sitting, house sitting, dog walking, whatever. I have friends who make up 'coupon books' of nice things for each other.
    Basically, I don't like giving gifts of 'stuff' just to give stuff.

Sometimes the best gift is cash - especially if cash would measurably help someone more than more stuff.

Regardless of what I give to someone, I almost always include a card and it usually ends up being a very specific thank you/appreciation type note for all that they've done or meant to me over the past chunk of time vs a generic holiday greeting.
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    The far west
    Mentioned
    446 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love this thread! Also:

Quote Originally Posted by FlyEaglesFly View Post
    I think the most perfect gift I have ever given was the paper with Bob Barker’s photo on it telling my mother that I was taking her to a taping of The Price is Right - there will be no topping that.
    That’s pretty awesome.

Okay, here goes…

Overall, I think about what the person is really into, and then do some sleuthing to figure out a variant or riff on that thing they’re into that they maybe aren’t aware of yet. Some of the best gifts I’ve received are things that are related to things I already love but also introduce me to something new.

For the friend who loves TinTin: I searched for retired/rare TinTin items and came across a TinTin soundtrack CD. It had genres and artists that my friend wasn’t particularly interested in — they loved getting an unusual TinTin item, though, and came to love each song on the soundtrack which prompted them to explore each artist further. So, from that one CD, they found a bunch of new music to enjoy.

For the very practical friend who doesn’t really like having stuff: I thought about what he had and realized that one quality item would go a long way — in this case, it was a Filson jacket. He wouldn’t have bought it for himself but he loves it and will probably wear it forever.

For friends that like food: this is really fun. I usually put together a collection of foodie things — a nice bottle of wine, Diaspora & Co. or Kitchen Imp spices, really good canned tomatoes, that kind of thing. Of course, all of that is well-presented in a Shop Bag or Truck!

For anyone and everyone: I have a very large and very old jade tree that occasionally drops small branches or leaves. I buy the tiniest size of terra-cotta pots and plant the fallen jades; after several months of growing, they’re ready to gift. I’ve grown 100 of these tiny jade plants and have given them out at our factory to the crew over the years. It’s fun to think about all of the jade plants out there in the world that’ve come from my jade tree.

For anyone and everyone, outside of holidays or birthdays or whatever else: remaining in presence. This really isn’t so much about me giving of myself to someone else — rather, it’s about being present enough to forget myself and actually like, pay attention to and deeply listen to someone else. It’s as simple as forgetting about what I need to do and sitting with Ichiro (my dog) for a bit without being distracted and just appreciating him — simple, but can be quite difficult in a busy world full of to-dos.
    Have a question? @Darcy (to make sure I see it)

Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

Forum Member
    Bordeaux, Paris
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Love Darcy’s answer!

Lately I have been giving family very slightly extravagant versions of useful, mundane items. Last year it was very fine wool socks in bright colors, this year it was merino t-shirts. Both were big hits (one family member who shall remain nameless is now on day four of wearing her’s....).

Volunteer Moderator
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really enjoy the challenge of giving a present that is amazing but doesnít cost a lot, because among my friends we have an informal price cap. Iím a practical person and I always choose presents that will be used. This year I gave:

-A crap ton of homemade fudge, chocolate bark, chocolate covered caramel pretzels, etc
    -Cinnamon Toast Crunch for a Cinnamon-loving friend of mine here in England
    -A gorgeous framed photo of Obama for a friend here in England who has a crush on him (low cost because I printed it out on my home printer)
    -Tea and a tea infuser basket

I have a couple of birthdays coming up and for one of those friends Iíve got some heated toe warmers. Canít beat being able to feel your toes on a cold day!