Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
    Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    I'm pretty sure 450-500 sq ft is as small as I could ever go. I do have admiration for those that can live in 200 sq ft or less though. I do love Tiny House Nation.
    I'm with you - 450-500 is probably as low as I could reasonably go (plus I'd want a normal toilet and bathroom). I know I have more things I could downsize, but there are some things I need to hang onto like diplomas, financial records, a quilt from my great grandmother, etc. If you're downsizing to under 200 sq feet do you get a storage unit or hope for understanding friends/parents with space for things like that? I also think I'd go a little stir crazy in a space that small if it wasn't in an area with a lot of stuff to do (or I was very busy at work) or I got snow-bound.

Downeast Maine
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yup, the day someone tells me I can't keep the teddy bear my parents gave me on my first birthday will be a very bad day, for them. ��
    He's a very old bear.
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

By the seaside, England
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm 48 years old. I still have a teddy bear who is 49 - my parents bought him when they knew I was on the way. He might well be among the last items ever to get decluttered... only 42,947 items in the queue before him. He sits on a bookshelf in my home office these days.
    A45CC K CQPC 3DCCGES25 SK SCBQKTTMCBLSB TT TSS4 PCSBSCBTT CQPC PQBPQK LT SETT 3DCCQKS19 TT P3DCCTS PP BBLCBCP TTRi QK NFTD A30DLBC

Forum Member
    Alaska
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Greetings,
    I would like to thank everyone here for the inspiration. I've enjoyed reading the ideas you have shared and even learned where to dispose of a few things that I've been storing in the garage. Spring cleaning next month is going to be enlightening. I am really looking forward to it. I already feel like something big has changed, even though I've made very little actual physical progress. Attitude makes all the difference and each of you has contributed to make it possible. Thank you! elisa

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, I've finally tossed most of my mixed tapes and have now moved onto CDs. The majority of my CDs fit in a couple CD wallets, but I'm debating if I should get rid of the plastic jewel cases - part of me says I won't need them ever, part of me says I should keep them in case I decide to get sell the CD. Thoughts? (I should mention I want to hang onto actual CDs because I have an older, but still very good stereo and certain things like jazz, classical music, and Pink Floyd sound better out of those speakers vs itunes.)

Forum Member
    Seattle
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My advice is to keep the jewel cases, even if they end up in a box in the closet for a while.

Of course, since I am sitting a few feet from a wall shelf full of nearly 1000 CDs in jewel cases, I might be a tad biased. . . . .
    Rambling On. . . . .

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vecturist View Post
    Ok, I've finally tossed most of my mixed tapes and have now moved onto CDs. The majority of my CDs fit in a couple CD wallets, but I'm debating if I should get rid of the plastic jewel cases - part of me says I won't need them ever, part of me says I should keep them in case I decide to get sell the CD. Thoughts? (I should mention I want to hang onto actual CDs because I have an older, but still very good stereo and certain things like jazz, classical music, and Pink Floyd sound better out of those speakers vs itunes.)
    I went the CD wallet route years ago and haven't looked back. I play CDs in my car, so the wallets have the added benefit of letting me move a whole bunch of CDs together on top of saving space. The booklets can usually squeeze into the same pocket unless they're really thick. Caveat: I don't plan on selling my CDs.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CDs tend to be pretty low value with or without the jewel cases. If you have room to box the cases up and store them, it would be nice to have them for future sale or donation.
    --Amanda

Packing and gadget geek, collecting bags to disperse to my family.

Downeast Maine
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have another big bag of trash and another box to be donated. I have gotten so much done and have a lot more to do. I am thinking about abandoning my upstairs bedroom and bath and moving entirely to the first floor of my house.
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have another big bag of trash and another box to be donated. I have gotten so much done and have a lot more to do. I am thinking about abandoning my upstairs bedroom and bath and moving entirely to the first floor of my house.
    Oh, cool! I like the idea of downsizing without actually moving.

I've been helping my mom purge stuff as she deals with a serious illness and upcoming move. It's overwhelming! I helped her work on her closet last week, and discovered that she owned between 50-60 pairs of pants alone. I never thought of her as a clothing hoarder, but she has struggled with letting stuff go because she remembers times when she couldn't afford decent clothing, and relied on hand me downs. I tried to be gentle, but firm, and she managed to let go of a lot. We had 6 giant garbage bags of clothes to donate by the time we finished with her closet. Her TWO full size dressers of clothes still need to be dealt with, though.

I love purging and organizing, and wish I lived closer to I could have helped her more. We ran out of time.
    --Amanda

Forum Member
    Texas
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A few things on my list ...

I've gotten rid of some cardboard boxes lately, and some of the others ("Hey, if I move this printer, I'd like to have the well-fitting custom foam pieces it arrived with.") are going into my tiny attic, which is about all that attic is good for in my current estimation. Small boxes, too, are being jigsaw-fitted into those, and the space saved adds up, and makes my office look less junky.

Giving away lots of small toys to some friends' children.

For kitchen waste, finally got a working compost bin via craigslist.

Also, putting on a yard sale in a few weeks; lots of less-used kitchen goods are going in there, along with not-very-sentimental T-shirts, beach-reading books unless I specifically want to keep them, and maybe some electronics. It's like pulling teeth, but I know it's good to do.

Kindle is a big help: since I know I can certain books for free / cheap, and read them on an e-reader, I am less concerned about keeping not-very-valuable falling-apart paper versions of the same books. I still *like* the paper books, prefer them in general, but it's tradeoff.

The biggest thing in decluttering (not new or profound, but I've had a burst of energy on this front lately) is simply *putting like with like,* and then scrutinizing the resulting sub-collections. Membership cards? OK -- now sort by date, and toss the old ones. T-shirts? Yes, keep this one, but not this one, nor these two, but this one's OK for this round, definitely not this one. Like that, whether it's screwdrivers, drinking glasses, eyeglasses, or something else. I'm not a minimalist, but I'd like to be better organized.

Also, a good motivator for cleaning up is because guests are on the way; I've had at least two out-of-town-guests (and as many as 5) at my place for the last week, and that is a good motivator to get some of the corners squared away that weren't before. Hiding certain things is kosher, if circumstances warrant and it's not too Rube Goldbergy.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me personally, I made the leap and let go of all the yearbooks a couple of weeks ago. I did find that there are some sites online that have tons of yearbooks scanned. I thought that was pretty cool! This Old Yearbook
    --Amanda

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toblerhaus View Post
    For me personally, I made the leap and let go of all the yearbooks a couple of weeks ago. I did find that there are some sites online that have tons of yearbooks scanned. I thought that was pretty cool! This Old Yearbook
    My yearbooks were recycled too. Think I did it after getting married 1+ year ago-- I decided that since unlike my travel souvenirs, I never looked at them from time to time, so I wouldn't miss them if I chucked them. Plus, they're kind of heavy. And I was right!
    Last edited by adalangdon; 03-21-2015 at 01:50 AM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know what to do with the boxes that some things come in. For example, our Lego collection is growing, and so far I have kept most of the boxes and all the instruction pamphlets. When we are done with a particular set and are not going to display it, I put it back in the box or in a big Ziploc bag. I keep the box so we have a clearer picture of what the finished product is supposed to look like.

Forum Member
    Seattle
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you have frequent guests, or want to rent out space, or have a mother-in-law (or other family) space available, this would be kind of a fun way to do it. Set it up as a cute little guest suite and all you'd have to do is the occasional dusting and refill guest toiletries/linens.

Quote Originally Posted by timothy View Post
    A few things on my list ...

The biggest thing in decluttering (not new or profound, but I've had a burst of energy on this front lately) is simply *putting like with like,* and then scrutinizing the resulting sub-collections. Membership cards? OK -- now sort by date, and toss the old ones. T-shirts? Yes, keep this one, but not this one, nor these two, but this one's OK for this round, definitely not this one. Like that, whether it's screwdrivers, drinking glasses, eyeglasses, or something else. I'm not a minimalist, but I'd like to be better organized.
    This was probably the biggest starter for me. Once I had everything together, it was a lot easier to see what I liked (and wanted to keep) vs what I had just because I had it. Most of the latter stuff went out. Or if I had, say, 3 screwdrivers and didn't like any of them, I gave myself permission to get rid of ALL of them and replace them with a single, functional one that I liked.
    Rambling On. . . . .

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast