Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12
    Forum Member
    Seattle, WA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Meglet View Post
    This was probably the biggest starter for me. Once I had everything together, it was a lot easier to see what I liked (and wanted to keep) vs what I had just because I had it. Most of the latter stuff went out. Or if I had, say, 3 screwdrivers and didn't like any of them, I gave myself permission to get rid of ALL of them and replace them with a single, functional one that I liked.
    I am getting ready to start this tidying adventure/process, and I like your philosophy!
    "Do one thing every day that scares you." - Eleanor Roosevelt
    "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." -Ferris Bueller

Forum Member
    Seattle
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NWhikergal View Post
    I am getting ready to start this tidying adventure/process, and I like your philosophy!
    It has really, really helped me cut down on the clutter and get rid of excess stuff. Quality, not quantity. (now if on,y I could manage to apply that philosophy to my wardrobe. Sigh.)
    Rambling On. . . . .

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since I can't carry my overly large bags now
    I have sold many many hard to find retired beautiful Velvet / jacquard/ tapestry knitting bags. Trying not to cry but it will be ok
    Many were in stunning shape so someone else will have the joy of using them
    All spoken for at this point .
    Just can't drive and hubs will only let me take two at a time once a day to mail to their new homes
    I like to coordinate colors but am going to keep my small wood bags as they go with everything and are tiny and take no space ex an aqua wooden conch purse and um my vintage metal minature purse
    Keeping most of my TB stuff but have sold my Cork swift and black swift and black dyneema swift
    Last edited by gulfcoastgal; 03-21-2015 at 10:42 PM.

Washington, D.C.
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Today I cleaned out the garage a bit. It wasn't that bad...threw out an old radio/broken toys/random yardwork junk that we don't need. There are still a couple larger things that my husband will have to take in to donate (coat rack, children's bike), but now I can easily get the bikes and the bike chariot in and out! I did two more bags of clothing/shoes/household stuff, after making DH go through his dresser. I just need to sort one last drawer and we are DONE with 80% of the house. I need to list our double stroller for sale, and get rid of the last garage things, and we are set! Just in time to move, it looks like.

-5 GMT EST/EDT
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Today I put a number of leather items in the "attic", which is actually a hall closet on the second floor that is in the eaves of the house. These leather bags are beautiful, higher quality, in good shape, but so darn heavy. The reality is, I'm in a casual office and mostly work at home (3-4 days a week). I'm not going to be using these bags. I had them when I was an entrepreneur and then when I was unemployed to "look the part". I'm now mid 50's and not sure how much longer I'll be working (or rather, can't imagine going out and looking for a /different/ job where looking the part would be necessary). I'm hoping to find a niece who could use one of these nice leather work bags. Not ready to ebay them, hoping to keep them in the family.
    Proud owner of: Pop Tote in cloud, Aeronaut 30 in steel/iberian, Travel Cubelet in Dawn, Travel Cubelet in Nebulous Grey , SE in steel parapack, SSB in black halcyon, Pilot in steel dyneema/steel, , Truck in Nebulous Gray, Small Zipped shop bag in black, Small Zipped shop bag in Dawn numerous pouches, 3D cubes, Q kits and straps, Cubelets and Ghost Whales!

Forum Member
    Seattle, WA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tonight I began the clothes portion of my tidying project with shirts. While I had done a mid-level going through of clothes in the past few months and rounded up several bags worth of donations, the act of physically taking items out and handling them, versus eyeballing things made a huge difference. I discovered I had a shockingly large collection of turtlenecks I have not worn in quite a few years (yes, really), and those went in a donation bag along with other items. It feels good to start the process!

ETA: I figured out the reason I have so many turtlenecks is that in my pre-Ibex days, I used to find that a lot of wool irritated my skin. The merino wool seems to have solved that problem, so now they can go to the next spot on their journey.
    Last edited by NWhikergal; 03-23-2015 at 07:27 AM.
    "Do one thing every day that scares you." - Eleanor Roosevelt
    "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." -Ferris Bueller

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toblerhaus View Post
    For me personally, I made the leap and let go of all the yearbooks a couple of weeks ago. I did find that there are some sites online that have tons of yearbooks scanned. I thought that was pretty cool! This Old Yearbook
    The Internet Archive has quite a collection of university yearbooks so that might be worth a check for people who have trouble letting go of them. I never purchased my college yearbooks, but I did have junior high and high school. A few years ago I decided to keep only my senior year. For every year before that, I ripped out the pages for my class and my extracurriculars and recycled the rest. Someday, I'm going to put those separated pages in a scrapbook...

Meanwhile, I am in an accumulation stage. Happens every semester (university employee/chronic user of tuition benefit here) when I do not have time to clean and purge and combat stress by buying things. The latest acquisitions are pens and paper thanks to this forum. At least they are small items. It used to be shoes. In May or June, I will revert to reading minimalist blogs and getting rid of extraneous things.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do not know how many of you follow The Minimalists - but I liked their last post and will be attempting their version of spring cleaning - Ready for Spring Cleaning? - The Minimalists While I don't think I can follow their rules completely, I will be attempting to shed at least one item each day.

Forum Member
    Las Vegas
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bumping this wonderful and timely thread...DH and I have given ourselves 18 months to declutter, sell our house and go mobile...travel the world, then buy a motorhome and wander about. He served 30 years in the Navy, I did 20, so we have a LOT of stuff! We’ll give the kids first dibs, but they all have their own homes and furnishings and tastes, so there will be a LOT to get rid of. I’ve read thru this whole thread and have a lot of info for starting points, special thank you to @Frank II, @eWalker, @Moose, and @Toblerhaus for the ideas.

ETA: And all other input/ideas welcome!
    Last edited by Wanderlust77; 06-26-2019 at 06:00 PM.

Forum Member
    Alaska
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Greetings,
    That going to be a great adventure. I like that you have made a plan. For me, having a plan seems to make it easier. Good luck! elisa

Forum Member
    Las Vegas
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaGirl View Post
    Greetings,
    That going to be a great adventure. I like that you have made a plan. For me, having a plan seems to make it easier. Good luck! elisa
    Thank you! It’ll be a task, but I’m looking forward to following some of the tips I’ve found in this thread, such as digitizing old photos, getting rid of hobby stuff that I haven’t touched in a long while, pushing thru sentiment, etc.

Forum Member
    Indiana
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mom decided to sell her house, but was living in a different state. My brothers took a long weekend, with a truck/trailer and picked up the furniture items we, or our college aged kids wanted. My mom sent them to talk to the manager of the Dollar General she'd been friends with for years. They told her everything else was up for grabs. One mom got a bedroom set for her son who was finally moving out. Another took the washer and dryer for her daughter who was divorcing. My brothers took one load to Goodwill and the mayor (gotta love small towns) sent the trash guys round to pick up the rest! Since my mom didn't need any money from the items, she was able to bless many families in her small community.

Forum Member
    Las Vegas
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tress29 View Post
    Mom decided to sell her house, but was living in a different state. My brothers took a long weekend, with a truck/trailer and picked up the furniture items we, or our college aged kids wanted. My mom sent them to talk to the manager of the Dollar General she'd been friends with for years. They told her everything else was up for grabs. One mom got a bedroom set for her son who was finally moving out. Another took the washer and dryer for her daughter who was divorcing. My brothers took one load to Goodwill and the mayor (gotta love small towns) sent the trash guys round to pick up the rest! Since my mom didn't need any money from the items, she was able to bless many families in her small community.
    That sounds like a great idea! We live in a fairly large city with bulk pickup every other week included with our garbage/recycling pickup, as well as the local scavengers who take anything that sits on the curb or driveway for too long. So maybe the first step will be seeing if the kids want anything, then call the donation pickup lady, then onto the curb.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12