Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13
    Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I downsized apartments recently partly to force myself to go through unnecessary stuff I'd accumulated...
    Because I think this XKCD is all to often true.... so I made sure the new apartment was smaller than the last

https://xkcd.com/1983/
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Downeast Maine
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I started this thread five years ago I had no idea it would have such a long life. I recently rehomed three TB bags. Glad to know others will make good use of them rather than having them languishing in my spare room. So many more to go...
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

Forum Member
    Seattle, WA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just found out I will be transferring to the other coast in the next few months, and I would like to downsize, so I don't drag things I don't need, but I will admit it is pretty overwhelming. I will be headed to N Virginia, and I may not be able to find someplace with a garage like I have now, where I have stored ample sports equipment and family type items. The part that sometimes gives me analysis paralysis is the line between what to donate and what to try to sell, since I know the pace of things is going to get crazy. This is hardest with miscellaneous items of uncertain value. Does anyone who has gone through a similar event have any advice?
    "Do one thing every day that scares you." - Eleanor Roosevelt
    "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." -Ferris Bueller

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NWhikergal View Post
    The part that sometimes gives me analysis paralysis is the line between what to donate and what to try to sell, since I know the pace of things is going to get crazy.
    Pick 3-5 items that you know you can sell very easy and sell them, then ask yourself "Did they sell as quick for as much as I expected?" Let that calibrate everything else down list in deciding to sell or donate. You will learn how close your expectations were to reality of selling. Decide moving forward the balance you need of "cash flow needed / time spent." (alternative phrasing: "I cash flow $ per hour I spend selling".)

Also, an item is worth only what the market will pay for it, not what it cost for you to make or acquire it.

Sometimes you need to cut your losses. A chair you bought for $100 dollars and someone only will give you $10 for it becomes $150 dollar chair on the other coast that someone will only give you $10 for it"

(My thought process from decluttering my house, not from moving. Same principles though)
    Last edited by organicfarmer; 09-21-2019 at 08:44 AM. Reason: phrasing

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NWhikergal View Post
    I just found out I will be transferring to the other coast in the next few months, and I would like to downsize, so I don't drag things I don't need, but I will admit it is pretty overwhelming. I will be headed to N Virginia, and I may not be able to find someplace with a garage like I have now, where I have stored ample sports equipment and family type items. The part that sometimes gives me analysis paralysis is the line between what to donate and what to try to sell, since I know the pace of things is going to get crazy. This is hardest with miscellaneous items of uncertain value. Does anyone who has gone through a similar event have any advice?
    Good luck with the move! Moving can be stressful, but it can be a lot of fun too. Chance to rid yourself of unnecessary things and go see and explore a new place. For some people, it is also a chance to present a different version of themselves to all the new people they meet... not all the stuff we want to downsize is material... we all carry random habits and other baggage.

When you look at your stuff, give some thought to whether you would buy it again NOW, with who you are and what you do... that can help get over the sunk cost bias and help you decide what needs to go.

I like @organicfarmer's method... is the realistic price that someone is willing to buy (within the time you are willing to sell) worth the time & effort? If it's not, donate & write it off your taxes or just donate.
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13