Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: Flashlights

Massachusetts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have an SC52 but the maker's specs list the head at 0.93". I've got an XO3 with a head just shy of 1.25" in diameter and it fits in a pocket pouch without issue. Pushing it all the way down will bow the pouch but since your light has a clip to hold it in I imagine it'll be fine.

xo head 1
    by Nate E, on Flickr

xo head 2
    by Nate E, on Flickr

Forum Member
    VA
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ooo, navy/UV!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks jujigatame for the visual reference. Yes, the head diameter for the Zebralight SC52 is 0.93 inches. If anyone else has any pictures of their flashlight in a pocket pouch I'd love to see it. I'm thinking that maybe a flashlight with a slimmer head diameter would be a better fit inside the pouch.

Ugh, back to the flashlight research drawing board. Or perhaps I should use the pocket pouch for something else and keep the flashlight inside a 3DOC. Does anyone use the tool tethering strap for their flashlight. Got pics?

Thanks!
    Last edited by flips712; 07-14-2016 at 08:37 AM.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by flips712 View Post
    Thanks jujigatame for the visual reference. Yes, the head diameter for the Zebralight SC52 is 0.93 inches. If anyone else has any pictures of their flashlight in a pocket pouch I'd love to see it. I'm thinking that maybe a flashlight with a slimmer head diameter would be a better fit inside the pouch.

Ugh, back to the flashlight research drawing board. Or perhaps I should use the pocket pouch for something else and keep the flashlight inside a 3DOC. Does anyone use the tool tethering strap for their flashlight. Got pics?

Thanks!
    Sorry for just getting to this thread. I can actually help out here, but I was out of town and didn't have internet... I have attached 3 photos of an SC52, with the utility strap (tool) held under the flashlight's pocket clip. The first is with the flashlight "clipped" in with its pocket clip, the second is just showing relative length and width on top, and the third is showing with the flashlight "unclipped" and shoved in all the way to the bottom. I hope they help!

OK... tried to upload the photos and it didn't work... hmmm... I'll post this message and then try to PM them to you. If that doesn't work, we'll try Plan C.

ADDED: Cannot attach photos to a PM, so I'll have to come up with a Plan C... In the meantime, I can definitively say that the head of the SC52 is nowhere near too big to fit in the pocket pouch. You could possibly even fit 2 in it, but it'd be really tight if it works.
    Last edited by autolycus; 07-25-2016 at 04:10 PM.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got a nice, bright pen light as a result of this thread around fall of last year. I didn't think I'd ever have to use it, but our power has been out for the last 24 hours due to high winds -- so thanks!

That said, my dad has a bag of tea light candles but his own flashlights are old and dim. When our power comes back, I'm going to have to look through this thread again so that we can be more prepared for next time.

Digital Nomad
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess it depends on your perspective. I generally don't see the need to carry flashlights/multitools/whatever when traveling.

If the power goes out, you can use your phone's flash to light the way. If the power goes out for a long time, go buy a candle and a bottle of wine and enjoy the silence. Or use the laptop's battery to watch a movie if you must. But most people, everywhere in the world, go about their days without a flashlight. Bringing one while traveling just seems like excessive waste to me. Why not also carry a wrench in case you need to fix a sink?

The only real exception I would have is a tiny watch battery-powered keychain flashlight for trips where I bring the dog. If I walk her at night, I need to clean up after her, and it's easier than juggling a phone, leash, and plastic bag.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our power is finally back...! I joked with my family that our zombie apocalypse preparedness rating was zero, or maybe negative ten. No food except some cereal, three bottles of water, and one flashlight. My handhelds were all conveniently dead or close to dead when the power went out. It was warm enough to not worry about the pipes, but cold enough to be really uncomfortable even with many layers.

As someone who works second shift (and had yesterday and today off -- just my luck) and normally sleeps from 3 AM to 11 AM, it was pretty boring once it got dark at around 6. Turns out it's pretty hard to write -- or read -- by candlelight. My book lights are all broken. There was no music. I kept trying to turn on the bathroom lights and yelling angrily when they didn't work. I showered in the dark and wandered around with cold and wet hair for a while. 0/10 would not try again.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bouncing View Post
    I guess it depends on your perspective. I generally don't see the need to carry flashlights/multitools/whatever when traveling.

If the power goes out, you can use your phone's flash to light the way. If the power goes out for a long time, go buy a candle and a bottle of wine and enjoy the silence. Or use the laptop's battery to watch a movie if you must. But most people, everywhere in the world, go about their days without a flashlight. Bringing one while traveling just seems like excessive waste to me. Why not also carry a wrench in case you need to fix a sink?

The only real exception I would have is a tiny watch battery-powered keychain flashlight for trips where I bring the dog. If I walk her at night, I need to clean up after her, and it's easier than juggling a phone, leash, and plastic bag.
    I guess it does indeed depend on ones perspective?
    I am literally in disbelief that anyone would forgo carrying a modern tiny LED light these days everywhere if possible and especially while traveling.
    I have yet to see any phone that does an even passable job as a light in any way at all and while trying you are burning battery capacity on the phone the whole time too that you may well need for phone stuff.

A light is just a tool to me just like the phone is just a tool and I will never squander capability for expediance when it comes to practical issues of safety and security?

I have had to evacuate from higher floors in Hotels and Offices on many occasions and if I had not had my own light things would not be nearly as comfortable or practical for sure.

Every where I go these days as I get older I can only be aided by carrying a light and there are just no downsides to it at all for me.

These modern lights are so tiny,powerful and long running that I actually ALWAYS have 2 of them with me as a minimum as long as I am wearing pants and again I simply can not imagine not having them or any realistic argument for leaving them behind?

I also do carry a Multitool and separate knife all the time and I would sure rather have them all and not need them than need any of it and not have it and I use everything all the time almost every day too.

YMMV though clearly.

-5 GMT EST/EDT
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use little LED lights all the time. When I'm out at night, I've used it to find the car's lock. I use it in the office when I need to plug something into the back of the computer (its always dark there). At festivals/events, I use it to light my way at night. I use it to light my way to the bathroom at a hotel so I don't wake up my spouse with the swearing I would otherwise do if I stubbed my toe in the dark. I've even used it to read the menu in dark restaurants.
    Proud owner of: Pop Tote in cloud, Aeronaut 30 in steel/iberian, Travel Cubelet in Dawn, Travel Cubelet in Nebulous Grey , SE in steel parapack, SSB in black halcyon, Pilot in steel dyneema/steel, , Truck in Nebulous Gray, Pickup Truck in Mars Red Small Zipped shop bag in black, Small Zipped shop bag in Dawn numerous pouches, 3D cubes, Q kits and straps, Cubelets and Ghost Whales!

Volunteer Moderator
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Flashlights

Here in the UK* the power really pretty much never goes out, however, I remember power outages growing up in the US and I love flashlights. I can only justify the smallest ones, keychain or penlights (my dad sent me four penlights recently which are great for finding lost toys under the wardrobe).

Thanks to this thread I have just bought a photon freedom keychain light, the one with the low mode and blinky modes and even a "covert nose" to keep the light pointing forward. I would have bought red too but in the UK those are not as available so I will have to order that from the US. I love red lights for nighttime use.

Thanks everyone!

*ETA I live in an urban area not likely to experience floods or other natural disasters.
    Last edited by Cristina; 03-10-2017 at 06:50 AM.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a warning about flashlight apps for phones. Most are Spyware and the required permissions are absurd. Why does a flashlight app need any permissions.

For those of you using Google now, just tap on voice and say "turn on flashlight" and you have one without extra apps. I think Siri does the same.

Digital Nomad
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ceb View Post
    Just a warning about flashlight apps for phones. Most are Spyware and the required permissions are absurd. Why does a flashlight app need any permissions.

For those of you using Google now, just tap on voice and say "turn on flashlight" and you have one without extra apps. I think Siri does the same.
    On newer Android phones you can also slide down the notification tray twice and there's a toggle for it. Handy because you don't have to unlock the device even.

Smilie

Digital Nomad
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AVService View Post
    I guess it does indeed depend on ones perspective?
    I am literally in disbelief that anyone would forgo carrying a modern tiny LED light these days everywhere if possible and especially while traveling.
    I have yet to see any phone that does an even passable job as a light in any way at all and while trying you are burning battery capacity on the phone the whole time too that you may well need for phone stuff.

A light is just a tool to me just like the phone is just a tool and I will never squander capability for expediance when it comes to practical issues of safety and security?

I have had to evacuate from higher floors in Hotels and Offices on many occasions and if I had not had my own light things would not be nearly as comfortable or practical for sure.

Every where I go these days as I get older I can only be aided by carrying a light and there are just no downsides to it at all for me.

These modern lights are so tiny,powerful and long running that I actually ALWAYS have 2 of them with me as a minimum as long as I am wearing pants and again I simply can not imagine not having them or any realistic argument for leaving them behind?

I also do carry a Multitool and separate knife all the time and I would sure rather have them all and not need them than need any of it and not have it and I use everything all the time almost every day too.

YMMV though clearly.
    I suppose for me it does depend on the travel. On safari, I did bring a flashlight because I like my camping one more than the ones my guides provide. And when I'm in the third world or the wilderness, street lights are not a thing. Wink

But around Europe, Canada, US, etc, buildings have emergency lighting and streets are sufficiently well lit. Just my experience though, maybe some day I'll regret my choices.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6