Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff A View Post
    I use a combination of Field Notes for writing/sketching/wire framing, usually one Field Notes book per big project. I carry one Field Notes book for every day stuff.
    Wow, your Field Notes are in great shape - they look pristine! And I see you have the Ambition set already. I just got mine and haven't unwrapped them yet. I usually use Scout Books (I tried them first and ordered several) but recently got interested in the larger-size Arts and Sciences Field Notes. I'm hoping that larger size sticks around.

Puget Sound region
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I started with a Filofax A5 because it's nice size could handle everything I needed it to do, this after years of using electronics and being dissatisfied with various aspects of app record keeping and planning. But the A5 was way more than I wanted to carry around everyday. So.....I began to think in modules. So this is my setup currently and it works for me.
    Fauxdori passport size (by Chic Sparrow) with 2 small moleskine notebooks. One for meal planning and grocery listing. The other as a Food Journal in which I also track exercise and medication. This stays at home on my desk except for grocery shopping days.
    Hobonichi WEEKS which goes in my EDC. As I don't have lots of appointments generally this works for me. I can track stuff, make weekly TO DO lists, keep notes on the go. LOVE the paper!
    Hobonichi Techo cover without the calendar, but with HOBONICHI papers for my Spanish language journal. This stays home.
    Hobonichi Cousins cover without calendar, used folio style with notebooks for class notes. This goes to classes with me.
    Small Moleskine for brain dump. Stays at my desk.
    And finally, my A5 Filofax, which stays home. I use it for large sized project planning anf management, storage of reference materials, financial tracking, travel planning.
    The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.

Wisconsin
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GoStanford View Post
    Wow, your Field Notes are in great shape - they look pristine! And I see you have the Ambition set already. I just got mine and haven't unwrapped them yet. I usually use Scout Books (I tried them first and ordered several) but recently got interested in the larger-size Arts and Sciences Field Notes. I'm hoping that larger size sticks around.
    Well, that was the day they arrived, haha! The first three I've used are a bit beat up now which is fine with me, they're loved Smilie

The Ambition set is super cool! I love the gold trim on the pages. I've never heard of Scout books, I'll check them out. I used Moleskine for awhile, they're ok. Field Notes are way better IMHO.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Family, Guitar, Design, Travel....get after it!

Wisconsin
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! All this discussion makes me think I'm highly unorganized. Maybe there are actually parts of my life where I am a free flowing and whatever kind of woman. Smilie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Calgary AB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I made myself a fake midori notebook, then bought the pouches and pockets in Paris. I made mine to fit moleskine or other notebooks. I am thinking of making another and using doublesided tape to fasten pockets in so I can make those too hummmmm ( happy planning hum). Actually, i dont write enough to need a system.

Colorado Springs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jannilee, would love to see photos.

GMT -03:00 (Brazil)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ludovicus View Post
    Oh @eWalker why do you know so many cool stuffs! As being originally from Japan, I'm so proud that products from my country is loved. Then again, I also wondered how come I didn't know about these prior! The only thing I knew was kokuyo notebooks because we had to use that for schools, back when I was. Junior high.
    @Ludovicus, I have an 18 years old daughter born and raised in Japan and a good part of my life I lived among nikkeis in Sao Paulo! My Midori with a ton of brass and paper accessories I received as a gift from her! Smilie

Now I'm wondering which to go by... I love the elegant look and customizability of Midori, but I'm also so drawn to the hobo nichi techo. I like the covers I can put on. I like the mother2 cover.
    I don't know much about the hobo nichi techo... I am just learning now from the posts in the Forum! I just made me more curious about then!

I guess I could get both, and use techo as planner, and the midori for journal, poems, brainstorming etc.
    I really like the MTN for it's simplicity and sleek design... it's so easy to add, remove or modify something in it! I love how is made to age with you.

Since I write in multiple languages, I want to get notebooks that I can write English style languages (left-to-right) and also Asian language style (up - down, starting from right - to - left of the page).

I don't want to get separate books for each languages I use (I'm a translator and a multilingual), because I want to write in whatever language the idea came from. I'm wondering what kind of ruling paper would work for all languages.
    Just use the graphic paper... you will have lines in both direction, use on side for each orientation or mix everything as you wish...

My daughter is fluent in portuguese, japanese & english and she mix all three languages plus drawings, sketches, icons and every possible graphic symbols she may think of!
    Last edited by eWalker; 02-11-2015 at 03:24 PM.
    So much to catch up! Roll Eyes (Sarcastic)

Northern California
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can anyone please tell me if Hobonichi products are sold in the U.S.?

Thanks in advance!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    Can anyone please tell me if Hobonichi products are sold in the U.S.?

Thanks in advance!
    @peruvian There's a great Hobonichi thread with links to online sellers in the US.

http://forums.tombihn.com/not-about-...ho-thread.html

HTH

Northern California
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Muito obrigado @eWalker

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I fell in love with the Midori notebooks but couldn't justify the price. By making my own I get to pick out the leather (the leather in this picture is done with an "Aztec" tanning method - hence the texture), make it exactly the size I want, and use the color elastic I want. But I will warn you, it's so easy it's addictive. Friends and family all got these for Christmas this year, and I also started making my own notebook inserts so I could use a variety of papers, including Tomoe River. I have a bunch of old, partially used sketchbooks of my dad's, and they got turned into traveler's notebook sketchbooks. I primarily use four inserts: a bullet journal; a "things I want to remember" insert (which has everything from a list of pens I want to get, to measurements for window coverings, to ink samples); a chronodex to visually track different work duties and see where I'm spending my time at a glance; and a photo album made with black Kraft paper with tracing paper dividers (also from Dad) between each page (wallet sized photos fit the @4.25x8.25" TN size perfectly). Other inserts move in and out as needed. I did add a midori zippered pocket, and glued string-closure envelopes to each book - I needed pockets to put odds and ends in which makes the system much more useful for me. Journaling, Sketching, Planning, Scheduling... What do we still like to do on paper?-image-jpgJournaling, Sketching, Planning, Scheduling... What do we still like to do on paper?-image-jpg

Lots of instructions online to do this yourself. The best thing? This "fauxdori" fits standing up in the main section of my co-pilot, right next to my iPad. Because of this, my co-pilot is now my EDC.

Calgary AB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, when I get home again.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Take a look how simple it is to make it...

And from one of the shop @ Etsy, the options current in fauxdori market...

Journaling, Sketching, Planning, Scheduling... What do we still like to do on paper?-il_570xn-704024430_t3rb-jpg

EXTRA SMALL:
    Fits (1-3) Moleskine extra small notebook(s)

PASSPORT:
    Fits standard issued passport and Midori passport insert(s)

POCKET SLIM
    Fits (1-3) Field Notes or Moleskine Pocket notebook insert(s): Both Measure: 3.5x5.5 (in)

POCKET
    Fits (3-6) Field Notes or Moleskine Pocket notebook insert(s): Both Measure: 3.5x5.5 (in)

REGULAR
    Fits (1-3) Midori Standard Regular 4.5 (in) wide notebook insert(s).
    HINT: If you put (4) in it may be flush or have hangover.

REGULAR EXTRA ROOM
    Fits (4-6) Midori Standard Regular 4.5 (in) wide notebook insert(s).

SLIM:
    Fits (1-2) 8.25x5 (in) notebooks ex. May Design, Yellow Paper House, Papier My Day, Moleskine
    OR
    Fits up to (9) Midori 4.5 (in) wide notebooks

WIDE:
    Fits (3-6) 8.25x5 (in) notebooks ex. May Design, Yellow Paper House, Papier My Day, Moleskine
    OR
    Fits up to (12) Midori 4.5 (in) wide notebooks

EXTRA WIDE:
    Fits (1-3) A5 (120-page) Notebooks or 360 pages
    OR
    Fits (6-10) 8.25x5 (in) notebooks ex. May Design, Yellow Paper House, Papier My Day, Moleskine
    OR
    Fits up to (16) Midori 4.5 (in) wide notebooks

PASSPORT: Fits a standard-issued passport
    POCKET SLIM: Fits one to three (64-page) 3.5 in. x 5.5 in. notebook(s)
    POCKET: Fits three to six (64-page) 3.5 in. x 5.5 in. notebook(s)
    REGULAR: Fits one to four (64-page) 4.5 in. x 8.5 in. notebook(s)
    REG EXTRA ROOM: Fits four to six (64-page) 4.5 in. x 8.5 in. notebook(s)
    SLIM: Fits one to two (80-page) 5 in. x 8.25 in. notebook(s)
    WIDE: Fits three to six (80-page) 5 in. x 8.25 in. notebooks
    EXTRA WIDE: Fits one to three (120-page) A5 notebooks

I have the originals but I am very tempted to try to make my own... I really wanted a grey or a lime one to color coordinate with wasabi!!

Journaling, Sketching, Planning, Scheduling... What do we still like to do on paper?-il_570xn-706008581_8bad-2-jpg

I just wanted to have the time to search for the needed materials specially the leather... Right now I am working double time to finish my late work... Canīt even keep up with the Forums...

But HTH !!
    Last edited by eWalker; 02-14-2015 at 05:54 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bijouxandbeads View Post
    But I will warn you, it's so easy it's addictive.

Lots of instructions online to do this yourself. The best thing? This "fauxdori" fits standing up in the main section of my co-pilot, right next to my iPad. Because of this, my co-pilot is now my EDC.
    You are mean!! Smilie

Great, great work! Where did you buy the leather and the elastics? I started to look for but ended up distracted by some videos about leather and metal stamping to make charms & tags.

Found a great deal of really nice raw brass charms at etsy last year... unbelievably cheap!
    Last edited by eWalker; 02-15-2015 at 12:04 PM.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eWalker View Post
    You are mean!! Smilie

Great, great work! Where did you buy the leather and the elastics? I started to look for but ended up distracted by some videos about leather and metal stamping to make charms & tags.

Found a great deal of really nice raw brass ones at etsy last year... unbelievably cheap!
    Haha, I totally understand the distractions as you start researching leather work online! What people do is amazing! These notebooks aren't even toddler's steps compared to some of that, more like baby's first smile.

So anyway, I'm going to give you way more than you asked, because if you are serious about making your own, these were all the primary questions I had when I started...

Leather: many people buy from Tandy, as you can purchase online if there's not a store near you. I am lucky to have a local saddlery/leather shop here in San Diego that has been in business since 1910, and they have exotic leathers and really lovely Latigos and buffalo hides that I can get in scraps that are just big enough for a single notebook. I haunt them as the scrap pile changes constantly. Thickness of the hide is a matter of personal taste; you don't want the leather to flop but you do want it supple enough to bend. Stiff leather WILL soften nicely with leather conditioner, but see below for a comment on conditioned leather and leather dye. Leather also naturally softens with handling, which is one thing people love about the Midori system - the patina it develops.

Cording: I've been buying off etsy. The last was from https://www.etsy.com/shop/Drawcord18 which ships from China I believe, but it didn't take too long to get to me in California and the color selection is unbelievable. I use 2mm cording which is slightly thicker than what comes with the original Midori notebook. It requires slightly larger holes especially where the elastic doubles up, but I like the sturdier size. I use about 40" for the vertical section that holds the books (I make "triples") and about 18" for the piece that goes around the notebook, and always have a bit left to trim. Midori uses a special clamp to finish off the ends of their cording, but I've just been using a fancy knotting technique (not really fancy but not just a simple knot either - actually the Tom Bihn knotting method for creating zipper pulls might work too).

Charms: here's where you get to really personalize! For the charm cording, I use waxed linen that I have for beadwork. These are actually your bookmarks, and waxed linen is strong! Non-elastic cording works also, it just has to be thin and relatively strong. Any kind of charm works for the dangle, look at old jewelry, estate sales, momentos for parts and pieces. For the notebook I made for my son, I used old metal archery tokens that had been my dad's from archery tournaments 65 years ago (I found a "6" and a "7" which are also the names of my son's cats!). I also use beads from my stash - anything to give a little bit of weight to the bookmarks. The "12" you see above? A vintage door # plate from Etsy to commemorate my wedding date (12.12.12).

Journaling, Sketching, Planning, Scheduling... What do we still like to do on paper?-image-jpg
    The other basic items you need are a cutting mat (I use a self healing mat like quilters use - Joann's, etc have them), a sharp blade (I find a rotary cutter -also used by quilters - works better for me than a box cutter type), a straight edge (a thick metal ruler or a quilters see through ruler - I like the 36" one that is about 5" wide and see through), and I use a quarter to mark rounded edges, then just cut with a small sharp scissors. Fiskars is my friend😄. I use a leather awl to make most of my holes, although a leather hole punch is really nice if you are making a lot of these or want them to be uniform and "open" as the ones made with the awl close up since you're not removing a hole-shaped piece of leather, just making a hole in it. If you get the little ones you hit with a hammer, have a piece of wood for underneath. For fancy leather colors, you'll want to get some leather dye, which "takes" best on a light tan leather to start with. I tried using leather conditioner first, which softens hard leather up beautifully but also changes it to a darker color, then dye on top of that isn't exactly vibrant.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast