Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    cave of caerbannog
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All of you are light years beyond me - I just use the little $1.00 notebooks you can get at any dollar/drug/grocery store. I use them to write down neat websites or numbers of items I shop for on the web (but can never afford)....one is dedicated to writing down my scores on Bejeweled Blast....

But I HAVE to use a retractable black ink fine point ballpoint pen....anything else feels like I'm using a Crayola crayon....
    Last edited by eightspokedb; 02-15-2015 at 10:34 PM.
    never skate faster than your guardian angel can fly....black and gold til I'm dead and cold....
    be nice - until it's time to not be nice.......what separates us from the animals is our ability to accessorize...

GMT -03:00 (Brazil)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bijouxandbeads View Post
    So anyway, I'm going to give you way more than you asked, because if you are serious about making your own, these were all the primary questions I had when I started...

Leather: many people buy from Tandy
    This Tandy? https://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/...home/home.aspx

Nice things about then... they ship overseas, have a great deal of how-to videos and sell the tools!

Journaling, Sketching, Planning, Scheduling... What do we still like to do on paper?-2014-02-04-shop-handtools-jpg

I am going to look for local suppliers but it's much easier once I have some idea of what I am looking for...

Cording: I've been buying off etsy. The last was from https://www.etsy.com/shop/Drawcord18 which ships from China I believe, but it didn't take too long to get to me in California and the color selection is unbelievable.
    I couldn't agree more!

Journaling, Sketching, Planning, Scheduling... What do we still like to do on paper?-il_570xn-621680530_nv67-jpg

Charms: here's where you get to really personalize! For the charm cording, I use waxed linen that I have for beadwork. These are actually your bookmarks, and waxed linen is strong! Non-elastic cording works also, it just has to be thin and relatively strong. Any kind of charm works for the dangle, look at old jewelry, estate sales, momentos for parts and pieces.
    Journaling, Sketching, Planning, Scheduling... What do we still like to do on paper?-2096725-jpg

This one is good for that ? @ Invalid URL

For charms I found some really nice raw brass from Turkey @ Etsy.

Journaling, Sketching, Planning, Scheduling... What do we still like to do on paper?-il_570xn-705367147_tp39-jpg

Midori has a bunch of brass accessories so I thought about following the trend.

Journaling, Sketching, Planning, Scheduling... What do we still like to do on paper?-midori-brass-products-jpg

The other basic items you need are a cutting mat (I use a self healing mat like quilters use - Joann's, etc have them),
    Like this one? Invalid URL

Journaling, Sketching, Planning, Scheduling... What do we still like to do on paper?-9199910-jpg

a sharp blade (I find a rotary cutter -also used by quilters - works better for me than a box cutter type),
    Like this? http://www.joann.com/olfa--deluxe-ro...utters&start=6

Journaling, Sketching, Planning, Scheduling... What do we still like to do on paper?-4688693-jpg

a straight edge (a thick metal ruler or a quilters see through ruler - I like the 36" one that is about 5" wide and see through),
    This one? http://www.joann.com/o-lipfa-ruler-w...ilting&start=6

Journaling, Sketching, Planning, Scheduling... What do we still like to do on paper?-611186-jpg

Fiskars is my friend.
    This one? http://www.joann.com/fiskars-8in-sof...kars+&start=15

Journaling, Sketching, Planning, Scheduling... What do we still like to do on paper?-7597537-jpg

I use a leather awl to make most of my holes, although a leather hole punch is really nice if you are making a lot of these or want them to be uniform and "open" as the ones made with the awl close up since you're not removing a hole-shaped piece of leather, just making a hole in it. If you get the little ones you hit with a hammer, have a piece of wood for underneath.
    What size of holes? 8, 9 or 11 mm?

For fancy leather colors, you'll want to get some leather dye, which "takes" best on a light tan leather to start with. I tried using leather conditioner first, which softens hard leather up beautifully but also changes it to a darker color, then dye on top of that isn't exactly vibrant.
    @Bijouxandbeads Not knowing the craft lingo was a big, huge problem, thanks for all the directions, you helped me immensely!! Smilie
    Last edited by eWalker; 02-15-2015 at 04:50 PM.
    So much to catch up! Roll Eyes (Sarcastic)

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's the right Tandy.
    That cording shop? Look at the additional pics and you'll find a second set of colors - close to 200 colors!
    Scissors. I like the short, curved blades of these Curved Detail Scissors #4. I feel like I have more control with smaller scissors. They need to be sharp.
    Journaling, Sketching, Planning, Scheduling... What do we still like to do on paper?-image-jpg
    Charms: they take a beating, will brush up against a lot of things, including the bottom of your bags and your hands. Think soft edges, a smooth opening for where the thread is looped through so the metal doesn't cut the thread, and no weak parts that will get snapped off. The kind of things you would consider putting on a charm bracelet and wearing on your wrist are ideal. Items that you thread on the elastic that goes around your notebook won't get beaten up as much as the ones dangling from the bookmarks.
    The Olfa self healing mats work great.
    That's the ruler I use.
    That's a good rotary cutter; you can also find ones with titanium blades which hold a sharp edge longer.
    The holes only need to be big enough to squeeze the elastic through, maybe 3mm. Start small and make larger as necessary.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, and that thread looks fine. If it doesn't seem strong enough, you can always get a little block of craft wax and wax it yourself to make it even stronger.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, and that thread looks fine. If it doesn't seem strong enough, you can always get a little block of craft wax and wax it yourself to make it even stronger.
    @Bijouxandbeads Just found a handy tool to assemble the home made inserts, a small Rotating Stapler from Daiso.

Journaling, Sketching, Planning, Scheduling... What do we still like to do on paper?-il_570xn-727038855_cfru-jpg

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eWalker View Post
    @Bijouxandbeads Just found a handy tool to assemble the home made inserts, a small Rotating Stapler from Daiso.

Journaling, Sketching, Planning, Scheduling... What do we still like to do on paper?-il_570xn-727038855_cfru-jpg
    Oh, that looks really nice! Right now I stitch mine by hand, which takes a few minutes. Stapling would be quick and easy.

Volunteer Moderator Alumni Ilkyway's Avatar
    GMT +1 Germany, North
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here are some of the planer-books I used over the years. I started with "ring-binders" the black one has paper in A5 (about half letter sized) but it is huge and heavy. It sat on my cupoard at home while I was using it because it was to heavy to carry around. That meant I missed things to wright down because I had forgotten till I was at home.

Than I switched to the lighter and smaller light brown "ring-binder" but that one has really small paper and that drove me crazy. A5 is the sweet spot in terms of papersize for me. But I did not want to loose the ability to have different sections. Than I found that thing, where you can put in multiple A5 booklets (a total of 5 in this case but normally they sell it for 3). This one I carried quite some time but the edges of the metal clamps has ruined a bag for me because there are sharp edges. And it was heavy due to the 5 booklets I had in there. The downside to not having the rings that are in binders is, that you can not rearrange papers in there. So each section was much larger than it had to be for fear that I would run out of paper on one before on others and would have to change the hole booklet too early.

Than I tried to go electronical for a time: outlook and OneNote together. BUT I find myself grabbing a peace of paper to wright down information or to-do items even when I sit in front of my computer. Something in a peace of paper and a pen makes it real. What was there to do? My ring-binders where to heavy or to small in paper. Lightweight Ringbinders felt too cheap to spark the joy of using them....

Journaling, Sketching, Planning, Scheduling... What do we still like to do on paper?-imb_0416-jpg

Journaling, Sketching, Planning, Scheduling... What do we still like to do on paper?-imb_0413-jpg

Here are pictures of my retired planers.

Ilkyway
    “Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it in the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it so long as it was there.”

By Sir Terence David John Pratchett from The Truth

GMT +1 Germany, North
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here are pictures of all the accessories I collected over the years to set up my paper based planers:

Journaling, Sketching, Planning, Scheduling... What do we still like to do on paper?-imb_0414-jpg

Journaling, Sketching, Planning, Scheduling... What do we still like to do on paper?-imb_0415-jpg

There are taps and booklets (there has to be a better word! In German it is Heft) and small envelops to glue into a booklet for stamps and pen-holder... Lots to play with ;-)

Ilkyway
    “Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it in the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it so long as it was there.”

GMT +1 Germany, North
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here are some examples of my note-taking:
    a. I like using page-numbers and have an index-page to find contend fast and easy. This is something that works great with booklets but can also easily be done in binders
    b. somewhere I read that it is not that messy to highlight done things on your to do list as to cross them out. When the hole page is highlighted -> everything is done. Works great. You really only look for un-highlighted items when you search for things to do.
    c. quite some time I read a clever note-taking help. I tried to find the original but I could not. I hope this guy is the one who invented it, back than I had found it on 42folders.com: patrickrhone / journal » The Dash/Plus System
    I only use three of them, as shown in the picture but they are so helpful to me. Sometimes I take a ruler and mark a space at one side of a page for these sings, sometimes I don't.

As you can see: I now am back to binder-style thanks to Tom Bihn. It is lightweight, has much space for pens and more and has the form factor A5 for paper. LOVE IT!

Journaling, Sketching, Planning, Scheduling... What do we still like to do on paper?-imb_0420-jpg

Journaling, Sketching, Planning, Scheduling... What do we still like to do on paper?-imb_0418-jpg

Journaling, Sketching, Planning, Scheduling... What do we still like to do on paper?-imb_0419-jpg

Journaling, Sketching, Planning, Scheduling... What do we still like to do on paper?-imb_0423-jpg

Totally unrelated: this cat knows where to lay comfortably:

Journaling, Sketching, Planning, Scheduling... What do we still like to do on paper?-img_0390-1-jpg

Ilkyway

GMT +1 Germany, North
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ha, forgot one more sing I use as you can see above there is:
    1. - To do
    2. + done
    3. (-) moved to another list
    and here is the fourth one I use:
    4. * for deleated as in not longer required. I like to make a star out of the original dash instead of the "done" cross so that I can destingwhish between things I have done and things I had originally written down but do not need to to anymore for some reason.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilkyway View Post
    A5 is the sweet spot in terms of papersize for me. But I did not want to loose the ability to have different sections. Than I found that thing, where you can put in multiple A5 booklets (a total of 5 in this case but normally they sell it for 3). This one I carried quite some time but the edges of the metal clamps has ruined a bag for me because there are sharp edges. And it was heavy due to the 5 booklets I had in there. The downside to not having the rings that are in binders is, that you can not rearrange papers in there. So each section was much larger than it had to be for fear that I would run out of paper on one before on others and would have to change the hole booklet too early.
    I think just like you!! My sweet spot is A5 for general notes and A6 for diary/planner. Most of all I like to be able to just get a A4 page and fold it once or twice to get my familiar working size. I usually like have both an A5 and A6 with me because most of the the time I read from one while I write on the other.

Like you I like to divide topic in smaller booklets that is what first attracted on MTN and the absence of metal hardware to add volume and as you pointed out damage things while in the our bags... I still have one my Filofax from my corporate days stuffed with few notes and lots of wasted space on various too specific layouts.

Than I tried to go electronical for a time: outlook and OneNote together. BUT I find myself grabbing a peace of paper to wright down information or to-do items even when I sit in front of my computer. Something in a piece of paper and a pen makes it real.
    I use a lot my cell phone and computer to remind me of things, but it doesn't help me when comes to creation process. I need to write, highlight, sketch, draw, scribe, on multiple peaces of paper and spread then around me and then start to collect, resume and order then.

Even as I am writing this post, I have my notebook computer in from of me, my Note III on my left, a moleskine on my right and several post its around my computer screen and I keep glancing to then to check one thing or another, every now and then.

I am planning to adopt the bullet journal system with some modifications to develop the habit of going (systematically) through everything reordering things, writing then to help me incorporate the priorities.

I want to write too because I want to improve my handwriting! Right now the best way to describe it is hideous!! Frown That is the reason why I just loved this week blog post!! Could be me writing that!!

As you may see, I still have a lot to do! Wink

Cheers!!

eWalker
    Last edited by eWalker; 02-17-2015 at 01:53 PM.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm more of a Scout Books user, mainly because I have a large batch of these to use up, but I just placed an order for the new Spring edition of Field Notes. They look beautiful - check out the covers on their website.

Vancouver, WA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reading through this thread makes me feel so unproductive and disorganized. I'm also kind of wasteful, as I rely heavily on Post-its and printed pages.

I use pocket-sized Moleskine classic ruled notebooks with Pilot G-2 pens (07). I have a black one for personal journaling. I use a colored one for work notes. My current work notebook is yellow. I use Post-its to jot down my to-do tasks and throw them away as they are completed. I use Outlook calendar and a wall calendar to keep track of meetings and such.

My first career was a reporter. I took notes by hand, then wrote stories based on the notes. I didn't transcribe first, just went back and forth - first point, write paragraphs; next point, more paragraphs, etc. So for my latest career (Proposal Manager/Writer), I use notebooks for notes and journaling only - no planning, no lists, no organization. I take notes in meetings, read through my notes later and expand on them in another medium (mainly Word). I use Excel and Outlook to manage schedules for projects since my co-workers all use the same programs. One day, I will learn Project or consider an business app - but until then, I keep it simple.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sujo View Post
    Reading through this thread makes me feel so unproductive and disorganized. I'm also kind of wasteful, as I rely heavily on Post-its and printed pages.
    To me, from reading your post, you shouldn't feel unproductive or disorganized. The best system is the one that works for you. And the fact that you were a working reporter shows it did work for you. Also, I completely support the simple and elegant Post-It as a great way to get things done. And I love the fact that it originated (so the story goes) as an accident at 3M, that it was a project that was almost discarded till one of the staff noticed that those notes are semi-sticky and can be moved easily from place to place.

So I say - stick with it! (Pun intended)

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    (referring back to original post)
    Ilkyway, that photo of the envelope so beautifully taped in reminds me of the series of books that was very popular about 20 years ago called Griffin and Sabine. Did you ever read those? The first one started off the correspondence between the two main characters, and the reader unveils the relationship by opening up envelopes, reading letters, all printed and folded into the pages like a real journal or mail correspondence.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast