Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 13 of 34 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 ... LastLast
    Forum Member
    Washington, DC
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Enablers, all of you! I just ordered the HOBO Cousin and Weeks, along with a bevy of covers, cover for cover (for the Cousin), pencil boards, and other accessories. I'm excited to try them out!

Forum Member
    Northern NSW, Australia
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So true�� From not even knowing what Hobonichi was, I now belong to various discussion groups and have also ordered a Hobonichi 2016 to try out.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    JetPens has a nice new video on bullet journaling and on various aspects of the process. Those of you who have looked for bullet journaling tutorials online know that the quality varies, and JetPens has a nice aesthetic in its presentations. Take a look here:
    Bullet Journaling: A Flexible, Adaptable Organization System - JetPens.com

Wisconsin
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello all- I'd love to get in on all the Hobonichi goodness, but I am having a heck of a time ordering. I've read comments about having to call your credit card company to ensure that they will authorize the foreign online purchase. I have tried ordering with a Visa debit and a Visa credit card and neither seem to work on the Hobonichi website. I've called and spoken to both my bank and credit card companies and neither even see that the transaction even came through to be denied. It seems as though when I place my order it never even goes through. I've been getting error codes once I hit 'order'. (E01040010 and 42G780000) I've tried emailing Hobonichi as well to see what these codes mean, but can't seem to get a reply. Anyone have a similar experience? Am I missing something about the ordering process?

Volunteer Moderator Alumni Badger's Avatar
    Somerville, MA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by driftlessgirl View Post
    Hello all- I'd love to get in on all the Hobonichi goodness, but I am having a heck of a time ordering.
    Hmm, I'm in the US and aside from on debut day, when the website is terribly slow, I've not had the trouble ordering that you describe. The first error code you list seems to be a general "this page does not exist" sort of thing (look at me, pretending I know what I'm talking about The Hobonichi Techo thread) so maybe try wiping your search history, cookies, etc. and relaunching your browser. Second, if you haven't set up a customer account, try doing that too. Also make sure you've selected North America (or whatever region you're in) for the shipping, and that the country for the billing address is correct. These suggestions are probably not very helpful but if you do these things at least you will know it's not your browser or personal information that's thrown a spanner in the works.

The other solution is to order from jetpens. Their stock of A6 English planners is out at the moment but you can sign up for a back-in-stock notification. Their selection of covers is much more limited than the Hobonichi store's, obviously, but jetpens is a US-based company with a customer service department that's fluent in English, so if you have trouble it's much more likely you'll get a helpful response. Definitely use jetpens over Amazon, btw: it's at least $12 cheaper to do so and you'll qualify for free ground shipping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wisconsin
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your help Badger! I was thinking about relaunching my browser as you suggested and then remembered I was having trouble with another website this week as well. I generally use Chrome, but also have Firefox and decided to give it a go instead. Poof, order went through no problem with Firefox! Thanks for helping jog my brain a bit. Can't wait to give these a go!

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    @driftlessgirl,

Another suggestion: check your system requirements and browser version. They updated security requirements just before launching the new web site in August, so even accounts that previously worked (immediately prior to the site update) had issues just after.

Here's their Important Shopping Information Page of information just before the launch. Notice the link to the Check Computer Requirements Page

In order to ensure accurate orders and safely store customer information such as address and credit card information, Hobonichi Store employs GeoTrustģ GeoTrust Quick Positive SSL Premium encryption to protect all stored information.

Hobonichi Store also uses cookies to ensure a smooth and convenient ordering process for customers.

We ask that customers always place their orders through Hobonichi Store account. It allows us to use these security systems to accurately and safely receive your order.

Use of Hobonichi Store account may not be possible with some computer settings or operating systems, so please use the information below to check the compatibility of your computer before placing an order.

Checking your browser version

Hobonichi Store recommends the following browser versions in order to use Hobonichi Store account:

PC
    Windows 10:
     Microsoft Edge, Internet Explorer 11 or later, Chrome 52 or later,
     Firefox 47 or later
    Windows 8.1:
     Internet Explorer 11, Chrome 52 or later, Firefox 47 or later
    Windows 7(SP1):
     Internet Explorer 11, Chrome 52 or later, Firefox 47 or later
    Windows Vista(SP2):
     Internet Explorer 9, Chrome 52 or later, Firefox 47 or later

MacOS 10.10 or later:
     Safari 9 or later, Chrome 52 or later, Firefox 47 or later

Smartphone, Tablet
    Android: 4.4 or later
    iOS: 9 or later

Using a browser not listed above may prevent a customer from being able to access Hobonichi Store account. We apologize for the inconvenience, but please place your orders from a computer equipped with the recommended system settings above.

Checking your JavaScript and cookie settings

Hobonichi Store uses JavaScript and cookies, so please make sure to always enable JavaScript and cookies when using the store.

Checking your computerís clock settings

If your computer clock is incorrect, you may experience an error message that will prevent you from using Hobonichi Store account.

Before placing your order, check both the accuracy of your time zone and the accuracy of your date/time settings.
    I've highlighted the note that orders may only only workin from certain computer or smart phone operating systems, because I think that when these requirements are not met, you just get cryptic error codes, similar to the ones you've listed.

HTH

moriond
    Last edited by moriond; 10-02-2016 at 02:19 PM.

Somerville, MA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your help Badger! I was thinking about relaunching my browser as you suggested and then remembered I was having trouble with another website this week as well. I generally use Chrome, but also have Firefox and decided to give it a go instead. Poof, order went through no problem with Firefox! Thanks for helping jog my brain a bit. Can't wait to give these a go!
    Great! I'm glad you were successful. What did you end up choosing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wisconsin
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    Another suggestion: check your system requirements and browser version.
    I did check those. My PC was running Windows 7 SP1 and Chrome 53. My G4 is running Marshmallow and the Chrome browser there as well and I couldn't order that way either. Chrome seems to be the common denominator so I must have some Chrome setting that wasn't agreeing with their store. I'll keep poking around and see if I can work it out as I doubt this will be my last Hobo order. heehee Thanks for the info and offering a hand!

Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    Great! I'm glad you were successful. What did you end up choosing?
    I had a hard time deciding between the Original and the Weeks. In the end I went with the Weeks in the Antique Red, plain Cover on Cover, Pencil Board, the Schedule and Basic Stencils, Tyrolean Red ribbon bookmark, red and navy Rivet Band, and the Style Fit Meister pen with the 5 gel color refills. As a stay at home mom, I think the layout in the Weeks will be perfect for what I need: tracking all the kids' activities, errands, and planning chores for the week on the left, with plenty of room for my grocery list for the week on the right hand side. I find planners with a weekly view most useful.

I'm coming from an A5 Filofax that is just too large for my needs. I'm not a huge doodler and I write really small so there is so much wasted real estate. I don't need my days broken up by hour so initially I was going to just live with the A5 and swap to the "Week on a Page With Notes" inserts, but when I stumbled onto the Hobo Weeks with that same set up I figured I had to give it a try. It's so much more portable and I think I will love having the grid visible to keep my writing neat. I really love some of the covers for the Original size though! I loved the Ukranian Flowers and Lapis but just don't see me having a need for an entire day on a page. They're so pretty though, so I may have to come up with a reason to get one anyway.

Somerville, MA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a hard time deciding between the Original and the Weeks. In the end I went with the Weeks in the Antique Red, plain Cover on Cover, Pencil Board, the Schedule and Basic Stencils, Tyrolean Red ribbon bookmark, red and navy Rivet Band, and the Style Fit Meister pen with the 5 gel color refills. As a stay at home mom, I think the layout in the Weeks will be perfect for what I need: tracking all the kids' activities, errands, and planning chores for the week on the left, with plenty of room for my grocery list for the week on the right hand side. I find planners with a weekly view most useful.
    The Antique Red is a very nice color, and the accessories you chose will look pretty sharp with your book.

I'm coming from an A5 Filofax that is just too large for my needs. I'm not a huge doodler and I write really small so there is so much wasted real estate. I don't need my days broken up by hour so initially I was going to just live with the A5 and swap to the "Week on a Page With Notes" inserts, but when I stumbled onto the Hobo Weeks with that same set up I figured I had to give it a try. It's so much more portable and I think I will love having the grid visible to keep my writing neat. I really love some of the covers for the Original size though! I loved the Ukranian Flowers and Lapis but just don't see me having a need for an entire day on a page. They're so pretty though, so I may have to come up with a reason to get one anyway.
    For a while, I was looking at Leuchtturm1917's planner, which is laid out in a similar fashion; however, it was too honking huge for me. The Weeks is very tidy and so very lightweight, and is perfect for small handwriting. You'll probably find the space for the daily entries to be sufficient for most days: you get a rectangle that's almost 1.5" x 3" (I'm rounding up slightly); you can see the grid through the paper, you'll have about 6 lines per rectangle. I'm not sure if I explained that very well, but you'll see for yourself soon enough.

You can always get an A6 cover and use it with any appropriately-sized notebook...

oops—I hope I didn't just persuade you to spend more money.

Forum Member
    Atlanta, GA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, you guys sucked me in and I purchased a 2016 version of the smaller book to try out. Initially I thought this thing was too small, but so far it is doing ok. The only real issue I have is what pen to use.

My larger fountain pens don’t really bleed through, but seem to leave a lot of ink on the page which dries slowly. I tried a gel pen and it dries faster, but the pressure causes indentions in the paper. Again, none of the inks bleed through, but the thin paper does allow shadowing and along with the indentions can be a little distracting when writing on both sides of the paper.

So, curious what pen everyone uses? I realize I may need to tame my hamfisted writing style, but just curious if a new pen might help. Also, I have several higher end pens and not really looking to invest in any more right now, so thinking more budget minded maybe $30 US or less.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BarryLee View Post
    Ok, you guys sucked me in and I purchased a 2016 version of the smaller book to try out. Initially I thought this thing was too small, but so far it is doing ok. The only real issue I have is what pen to use.

My larger fountain pens don’t really bleed through, but seem to leave a lot of ink on the page which dries slowly. I tried a gel pen and it dries faster, but the pressure causes indentions in the paper. Again, none of the inks bleed through, but the thin paper does allow shadowing and along with the indentions can be a little distracting when writing on both sides of the paper.

So, curious what pen everyone uses? I realize I may need to tame my hamfisted writing style, but just curious if a new pen might help. Also, I have several higher end pens and not really looking to invest in any more right now, so thinking more budget minded maybe $30 US or less.
    I had the exact same problems until I lightened up my touch. If you write with a heavy hand, the marks are going to be especially obvious with any pen with a ball point. Might be OK with a FP that gushes less ink (i.e. a less "wet" pen) or ink that dries more quickly, like an iron gall ink.

I use an extra-fine ballpoint, specifically the freebie that comes with Hobonichi. It's very smooth and I'm too impatient to wait for ink to dry because I write a lot and quite fast. Yeah, it leaves marks on the other pages, but I write a lot more lightly now and love the extra fine point pens because they let me downsize my writing to cram more onto a page.
    Last edited by adalangdon; 10-03-2016 at 08:01 AM.

Wisconsin
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can always get an A6 cover and use it with any appropriately-sized notebook...

oops—I hope I didn't just persuade you to spend more money.
    No, thank you for the suggestion! I do alot of ancestry research and have a mess of scratch paper and leads laying all over my desk. I could definitely make use of a nice little notebook to keep things all collected. I do think I'm going to keep an eye out for either the Lapis or Ukranian flower covers to come back in stock and then make my move!

Wisconsin
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BarryLee View Post
    I tried a gel pen and it dries faster, but the pressure causes indentions in the paper. Again, none of the inks bleed through, but the thin paper does allow shadowing and along with the indentions can be a little distracting when writing on both sides of the paper.
    I just made my first Hobonichi purchases and I picked up the pencil board to go with my Weeks. Hasn't arrived so can't vouch for it yet, but I'm hoping it takes care of any indentations from writing. Maybe something like that would help you out?

Wisconsin
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

oopsóI hope I didn't just persuade you to spend more money.
    I got an email that my first order I placed the other day for the Weeks shipped. I went to the website to check the shipping information. Should NOT have done that. T_T

Saw that a small quantity of the Lapis Cover I was coveting was back in stock. I put the set with the cover and the 2017 Original (Japanese) in my cart. As I was looking for other things to go with it I noticed the quantity available started dropping like flies! Had to quick complete the order and then place it on hold so I can finish browsing for accessories I want to go with it. Holy cow, that was nuts. Was worried I wasn't quick enough! Hobonichi folks are savage! EEK!

Page 13 of 34 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 ... LastLast