Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 21 of 34 FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21 22 23 31 ... LastLast
    Forum Member
    Chicago, IL
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So we are roughly halfway through the year and my Hobonichi Techo already seems to be bursting at the seams (figuratively speaking). It has been filled so much that it is like a little heavy brick that in a pinch could probably be used as a self defense weapon. What once slipped easily into my side effect with room to spare for pens, scissors, washi tape, etc., has now become a tight squeeze. (Adding halcyon side effect to wish list.)

This has been my first year using a hobonichi, as well as my first time journaling consistently. I have found it to be thoroughly enjoyable and therapeutic and expect to continue it for many years to come. I am already looking ahead in anticipation of when the 2018 hobonichi journals are released, debating which one I should get. I love that the petite size of the Techo can fit into my side effect, side kick, or even the side pocket of my shop bags. But I also consistently wish I had more writing space and might lean towards the Cousin next (but then would I feel less satisfied when I have pages with lots of empty space?). I also saw that they have an "Avec" version (in both sizes) that splits the year into two separate books, which seems like it might solve my problem of an overstuffed book.

For those of you who have tried both the Techo and the Cousin, which do you prefer? And has anyone tried the Avec styles? Thoughts?

The Hobonichi Techo thread-img_4890-jpg
    The Hobonichi Techo thread-img_4891-jpg

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have an Hobonichi, but I am familiar with the struggle of finding the perfect size journal/agenda.

It might be worth using an elastic closure, to keep the Hobonichi closed securely until the end of the year, then, next year, you could buy the 6 months version.

Alternatively, you could buy this year's June/December and keep it in another Hobonichi cover, check retailer sales for colors that didn't sell well or were overstocked, ebay or Hobonichi fan sites/blogs for a used or, like new, cover.

My feeling is that when one finds the perfect size notebook, journal, EDC writing tool, it is better to stick with it.

I found the same feeling your described when Tom designed the FJN. It is a tad bigger, but it is perfect for A5 paper.

Edited because I am not clear what if Avec is an Hobonichi size or the six month pages (avec means with in French)

I agree with Badger about fountain pens.
    Last edited by backpack; 07-18-2017 at 04:40 PM.

Volunteer Moderator Alumni Badger's Avatar
    Somerville, MA
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Hobonichi Techo thread

I'm tickled that this thread is still alive after all this time.

First, to answer your question FoxValleyDame, I think you might find the Cousin Avec a good size. White space can be a psychological hurdle when it comes to regular journaling but maybe you could see those empty spots as opportunities: to create stripes of the new washi tape you've acquired that month, to practice penmanship or show off a new fountain pen ink, to paste in photos or pictures you took on the given day, or draw. I often end up with white space and I just draw a border around it, then use it for whatever. Having that good solid border helps keep areas distinct and I get to feel the satisfaction of filling up every page.

Second: I wanted to tell you all about these great little fountain pens that I'm really excited about. The Pilot Petit is less than $4 on jetpens and it writes very well! It comes with a cartridge of rather decent ok ink, and can be used as an eyedropper pen as well. Because the barrel isn't huge, it's great if you want to swap out inks regularly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Badger; 07-19-2017 at 06:34 AM.

Minneapolis, MN
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the Cousin and the Techo (Japanese version because I like how the grid colors change every month. ) I love both sizes, but the Cousin stays home and gets use as an every day diary. The A6 Avec languishes as an on the go notebook, because I use the Weeks for that.
    yes, I'm a Hobonichi addict. But I do use the Weeks and Cousin every day. And the A6 is so cute! But I could definitely do without it.

I have a Pilot Petit apple green fountain pen already. Smilie

Forum Member
    Northern NSW, Australia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh no, badger, now I have to look at the jet pens site for the pilot petit! I blame you for my beloved Hobonichi and my fountain pens...

Fox valley dame, I have A6 and my partner has the avec of A6. I tried the avec but I wanted the whole year as I use mine for planning primarily and jounalling secondarily (I actually use a whole year book for six months so I use half dated pages as intended and half as 'blank' pages). If you are only journaling, the avec should be fine for you as you don't need to see ahead.

Colorado Springs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Badger - like my new Lamy Safari in petrol. (MAy try an X fine nib.) Using it to fill up the Cousin, which I use as writing / whining journal. Haven't tried the nifty ink samples and converter cartridge yet. I should NOT have read this thread! Just kidding. I'm spoiled forever with Tomoe River paper and a good pen, like the one time I was bumped to first class for a long-haul flight. Coach was never the same after that.

I have several vintage fountain pens from ancestors--wonder if they could be restored to work again?

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TavaPeak View Post
    @Badger - like my new Lamy Safari in petrol. (MAy try an X fine nib.) Using it to fill up the Cousin, which I use as writing / whining journal. Haven't tried the nifty ink samples and converter cartridge yet. I should NOT have read this thread! Just kidding. I'm spoiled forever with Tomoe River paper and a good pen, like the one time I was bumped to first class for a long-haul flight. Coach was never the same after that.

I have several vintage fountain pens from ancestors--wonder if they could be restored to work again?
    They certainly can, there are many fountain pen repair persons. It is better to stick with a person with a good reputation and experience with the brand of pen you want to be restored.

Some people, especially younger persons, or new fountain pen enthusiasts claim they know how to repair pens, I would not give them my pens to repairs, even new ones, let alone vintage heirlooms.

The Fountain Pen Network is a good place to start, it is a forum about everything related to fountain pens, which is friendly to people new to fountain pens.
    http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/
    Last edited by backpack; 07-18-2017 at 10:16 PM.

Somerville, MA
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Hobonichi Techo thread

Quote Originally Posted by TavaPeak View Post
    @Badger - like my new Lamy Safari in petrol. (MAy try an X fine nib.) Using it to fill up the Cousin, which I use as writing / whining journal. Haven't tried the nifty ink samples and converter cartridge yet.
    We are pen buddies! A very nice person sent me a Lamy Safari in Petrol with the xfine nibóit writes like a dream and I'm super happy with it! (Thanks, nice person Wink ) I wanted to use it right away and all of my ink samples were in storage so I just used the Lamy Blue ink cartridge that was included with the pen.

The Hobonichi Techo thread-img_9488-jpg

Almost all of the Lamy Petrol ltd. edition ink has sold out, and what's left has skyrocketed into the "unaffordable" category for me, so I've on the lookout for a good non-shimmering ink that will complement the pen. (J. Herbin 1670 Emerald of Chivor is perfect color-wise, I think, but I'm paranoid about clogs.) Keeping in mind that the pen can either go blue or green depending on your mood and perspective, here's what I found:

De Atramentis Document Green
    De Atramentis Mint Turquoise
    De Atramentis Petrol (huh, go figure)
    De Atramentis Plum
    Diamine Evergreen
    Diamine Sherwood Green
    Diamine Teal
    Graf von Faber-Castell Deep Sea Green
    Montegrappa Turquoise
    Monteverde California Teal
    Monteverde Emerald Green
    Noodler's Air-Corp Blue-Black
    Noodler's Bad Green Gator
    Noodler's Polar Green
    Noodler's Squeteague
    Noodler's Turquoise
    Pelikan Edelstein Aquamarine
    Pilot Iroshizuko Syo-Ro
    Robert Oster Deep Sea
    Robert Oster Marine
    Robert Oster Peppermint
    Robert Oster Spearmint
    Robert Oster Tranquility
    Rohrer & Klingner Verdigris
    Stipula Bright Green
    Last edited by Badger; 07-27-2017 at 04:29 PM.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @FoxValleyDame, that is an impressive girth! How fun to flip through the memories in that book. I got the Cousin Avec in January and glad I did so instead of the A6 or the regular A5 Cousin. My Book 1 (Jan to June) only grew 10% thicker, if that. Still, I am happy not to tote it around since I moved to Book 2 this month.

I think I found the right size/ setup of a journal for me in the A5 Cousin Avec. YMMV, but the Avec versions may be worth consideration.
    Last edited by Walker; 07-30-2017 at 02:02 PM.

Minneapolis, MN
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If we're still taking about cheap fountain pens, I am more impressed with the platinum Preppy than the Pilot Petit. The nib feels altogether softer and smoother. Downsides, it's not very attractive, and there are some inconsistencies with the ink flow. It starts great, and then sort of runs dry. Huh.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the Pilot Plumix Medium Italic, also described as Music nib. Mine writes finer than my Pilot Prera CM. The pen is UGLY but the nib writes beautifully.

$7.50 from Jetpens (no affiliation).

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    The Texas Panhandle
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    We are pen buddies! A very nice person sent me a Lamy Safari in Petrol with the xfine nib—it writes like a dream and I'm super happy with it! (Thanks, nice person Wink ) I wanted to use it right away and all of my ink samples were in storage so I just used the Lamy Blue ink cartridge that was included with the pen.

The Hobonichi Techo thread-img_9488-jpg

Almost all of the Lamy Petrol ltd. edition ink has sold out, and what's left has skyrocketed into the "unaffordable" category for me, so I've on the lookout for a good non-shimmering ink that will complement the pen. (J. Herbin 1670 Emerald of Chivor is perfect color-wise, I think, but I'm paranoid about clogs.) Keeping in mind that the pen can either go blue or green depending on your mood and perspective, here's what I found:

De Atramentis Document Green
    De Atramentis Mint Turquoise
    De Atramentis Petrol (huh, go figure)
    De Atramentis Plum
    Diamine Evergreen
    Diamine Sherwood Green
    Diamine Teal
    Graf von Faber-Castell Deep Sea Green
    Montegrappa Turquoise
    Monteverde California Teal
    Monteverde Emerald Green
    Noodler's Air-Corp Blue-Black
    Noodler's Bad Green Gator
    Noodler's Polar Green
    Noodler's Squeteague
    Noodler's Turquoise
    Pelikan Edelstein Aquamarine
    Pilot Iroshizuko Syo-Ro
    Robert Oster Deep Sea
    Robert Oster Marine
    Robert Oster Peppermint
    Robert Oster Spearmint
    Robert Oster Tranquility
    Rohrer & Klingner Verdigris
    Stipula Bright Green

This post inspired me. I have a couple of Visconti (Rembrandt and Homo Sapiens) that I usually prefer to use. However, I thought this pen looked so awesome that I just ordered one today. I will just use my favorite Diamine Safari or possibly Noodlers Army.
    S19 & S19/Island; S25/Island, S25/NW Sky; GE S25 & GE S25/Coyote; S30/Coyote; BB/Canyon; SA/Island, SA/U.V., SA/Wasabi, SA & SA/Steel; A30/Zest; A45/Island, A45/Steel; MCB/Wasabi, MCB & MCB/Canyon.

Colorado Springs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ran the provided cartridge dry on the new Lamy Petrol, took a deep breath, and loaded the converter cartridge with Emerald of Chivor. Lovely ink color! But a bit fancy for my written content, I think. And I still manage to splut green ink on myself when I write. Lots to learn. Ordered more Lamy preloaded cartridges...

Somerville, MA
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's August 1, everyone! And that means that we've got 30 days until the 2018 Hobonichi lineup is released for sale.

(The site goes live on September 1, Japan time, so those of us in North America can order on August 31 if their site doesn't collapse from the traffic, which it often does.)

Day by day, they'll be releasing tidbits of information and sneak peeks of new covers and designs. You can check it out here:

Hobonichi Techo 2018 Pre-Release Announcements - Hobo Nikkan Itoi Shinbun

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TB Ravelry Moderator Mausermama's Avatar
    Florida
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, @Badger! I am on the Hobonichi Eye Candy Facebook Group, and they also shared this link.

I am excited to see the daily tidbits! Last time I purchased my Techo from Jet Pens. This year I'm interested in purchasing directly from Hobonichi to take advantage of some of the unique items not available in the U.S. Is it more expensive to do it that way? I'm a little nervous because I don't understand the currency differences and shipping costs.

On a totally different note, I'd love to find a pen that writes like my cheap Platinum Preppy but looks a little nicer. I don't want an expensive pen. I'm pretty hard on it since it rides shotgun in the pen sleeve of the Hobo cover. I just want one that is reliable and doesn't leak. I tried my Pilot Metro, but I keep getting ink all over my writing hand (I'm a leftie). I don't know if it's because of the fact it's sliding about in my Luminary or if it needs some fine tuning (cleaning?) or what, but I do want to keep my hand a little cleaner when I'm out and about.

Page 21 of 34 FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21 22 23 31 ... LastLast