Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
TOM BIHN Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. TOM BIHN has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

User Tag List

Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22 23 LastLast
Results 316 to 330 of 336
  1. #316
    Volunteer Moderator Badger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Somerville, MA
    Posts
    2,324
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mausermama View Post
    I am excited to see the daily tidbits! Last time I purchased my Techo from Jet Pens. This year I'm interested in purchasing directly from Hobonichi to take advantage of some of the unique items not available in the U.S. Is it more expensive to do it that way? I'm a little nervous because I don't understand the currency differences and shipping costs.
    Don't worry—you can select USD as your currency when you're in the store (as far as I can recall). Shipping from Japan is more expensive than the free shipping you get from jetpens, but I think it's worth it if you want something special, as you say. The exchange rate is pretty good these days, too.

    Oh, as for the pen: it may be the ink rather than the pen. Have you tried any of the Noodler's document inks? I think they're supposed to dry really fast. If you like the way the Preppy writes but want something nicer, the Plaisir might give you similar results. Another pen at a similar price point is the Nemosine Singularity. I've no idea how it performs for lefties, though.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  2. #317
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    60
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mausermama View Post
    Thanks, @Badger! I am on the Hobonichi Eye Candy Facebook Group, and they also shared this link.

    I am excited to see the daily tidbits! Last time I purchased my Techo from Jet Pens. This year I'm interested in purchasing directly from Hobonichi to take advantage of some of the unique items not available in the U.S. Is it more expensive to do it that way? I'm a little nervous because I don't understand the currency differences and shipping costs.
    It costs about $20 for shipping, depending on the size of your order, but it's really fast. Plus there is a free pen and another item that you get with each book you order. Last year it was a little plastic toast plate. Usually you can only get the Techo and Weeks here and maybe a couple of plain colored covers.

  3. #318
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    73
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a pen with various inks, most notably Emerald of Chivor, that I use for when I want to write a little fancier. But I've never gotten into using a fountain pen for my everyday journaling. The reason why I'm so reluctant is because my fountain pen ink smears and bleeds if the paper gets remotely damp or wet. Has anyone found a fountain pen ink that resists smearing? Or is there something I'm missing?

  4. #319
    TB Ravelry Moderator Mausermama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    743
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    Don't worry—you can select USD as your currency when you're in the store (as far as I can recall). Shipping from Japan is more expensive than the free shipping you get from jetpens, but I think it's worth it if you want something special, as you say. The exchange rate is pretty good these days, too.

    Oh, as for the pen: it may be the ink rather than the pen. Have you tried any of the Noodler's document inks? I think they're supposed to dry really fast. If you like the way the Preppy writes but want something nicer, the Plaisir might give you similar results. Another pen at a similar price point is the Nemosine Singularity. I've no idea how it performs for lefties, though.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    With regards to the ink, I wasn't clear. I'm not getting the ink on my hand because I'm smearing it. I'm actually getting it on my hand for some other mysterious reason. It's like it's leaking from the base of it somehow, but I can't trace its origins.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  5. #320
    Volunteer Moderator Badger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Somerville, MA
    Posts
    2,324
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh dear. Could it be that the feed is a bit disengaged from the nib, or that there may be some loose threading in the pen body? I wonder if applying some silicone grease might help...



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  6. #321
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    126
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have purchased from JetPens, Amazon and Hobonichi Japan. The shipping cost is often padded into the US dollar price on non-Hobo websites.
    If you want any accessories, or are the designated buyer for the group of Hobo users you have made, then the Japanese website is convenient and fast.
    (For example, the Hobonichi Weeks is $25-$35 on Amazon but 1900 Yen on Hobonichi - Approx $20)

    Quote Originally Posted by Mausermama View Post
    Thanks, @Badger! I am on the Hobonichi Eye Candy Facebook Group, and they also shared this link.

    I am excited to see the daily tidbits! Last time I purchased my Techo from Jet Pens. This year I'm interested in purchasing directly from Hobonichi to take advantage of some of the unique items not available in the U.S. Is it more expensive to do it that way? I'm a little nervous because I don't understand the currency differences and shipping costs.

    On a totally different note, I'd love to find a pen that writes like my cheap Platinum Preppy but looks a little nicer. I don't want an expensive pen. I'm pretty hard on it since it rides shotgun in the pen sleeve of the Hobo cover. I just want one that is reliable and doesn't leak. I tried my Pilot Metro, but I keep getting ink all over my writing hand (I'm a leftie). I don't know if it's because of the fact it's sliding about in my Luminary or if it needs some fine tuning (cleaning?) or what, but I do want to keep my hand a little cleaner when I'm out and about.

  7. #322
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    898
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mausermama View Post
    With regards to the ink, I wasn't clear. I'm not getting the ink on my hand because I'm smearing it. I'm actually getting it on my hand for some other mysterious reason. It's like it's leaking from the base of it somehow, but I can't trace its origins.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    @mausermama, I started down this rabbit hole with the Pilot Metropolitan fountain pens and had the same experience. My pens also had lots of ink on their nibs. I just got used to wiping them off gently with a tissue. I pushed their feeds/ nibs in - that solved the mystery. The feed/ nib did not feel "loose", so I did not know they were not set in properly. I write with a very light glide.

    Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

  8. #323
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    3,598
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FoxValleyDame View Post
    I have a pen with various inks, most notably Emerald of Chivor, that I use for when I want to write a little fancier. But I've never gotten into using a fountain pen for my everyday journaling. The reason why I'm so reluctant is because my fountain pen ink smears and bleeds if the paper gets remotely damp or wet. Has anyone found a fountain pen ink that resists smearing? Or is there something I'm missing?
    You need blotter paper. This is a special absorbent paper that has been used since 1791.

    Because I like medium or bold nibs with a nice flow, I have used blotting paper since I got my first fountain pen, at age 9.

    This is a vlog post that explains what blotting paper does, what a rocker blotter adds to the experience and how a piece of blotter paper helps people who use fountain pen ink, in notebooks/journals, on the go.

    [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Yl36xUgrE0[/url]

    The link below shows you examples of roller and rocket blotters, they were piece of desk equipment that held a piece of blotter, which was rolled or rocked on top of the words that had just been written.

    The link is from a vendor who specialize in vintage dip pens, fountain pens and other desk accessories. (no affiliation, just a customer)

    I bought their 4 pieces of blotter paper for $1 years ago, I think 10, I am still using the first one. Very good quality blotter paper.

    Pendemonium - Fountain Pens, Pencils, Inkwells, Stationery, and other Writing Equipment for Fountain Pen Enthusiasts

    Another brand of good quality blotter paper is Herbin. Below is a blog post from Rhodia Drive that explains what blotting paper does. (not affiliated with them either, I just use Rhodia paper and Herbin inks).

    https://www.rhodiadrive.com/2014/10/...ortant-to-you/

    Hope this help.
    Last edited by backpack; 08-13-2017 at 01:01 AM.

  9. #324
    TB Ravelry Moderator Mausermama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    743
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Walker View Post
    @mausermama, I started down this rabbit hole with the Pilot Metropolitan fountain pens and had the same experience. My pens also had lots of ink on their nibs. I just got used to wiping them off gently with a tissue. I pushed their feeds/ nibs in - that solved the mystery. The feed/ nib did not feel "loose", so I did not know they were not set in properly. I write with a very light glide.

    Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk
    Thank you, @Walker. Pushing in the nib a little more seemed to help with one of my Metros, but the other one is still leaking. When I pushed in the first nib in some more I also didn't feel anything was off, but it did seem to take care of the issue. Hopefully I'll get the other one fixed, too. If not, at least I can be happy that they aren't super expensive.

  10. #325
    Volunteer Moderator Badger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Somerville, MA
    Posts
    2,324
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As announced today: the Weeks will be available in a Mega version, containing 212 pages of graph paper at the back of the book (the regular Weeks has 68 pages and is still available). The Mega will go on sale on 1 November.

    If anyone is is Shibuya, there will be a special edition you can only get there:

    The Hobonichi Techo Weeks has a new version! Introducing the Mega. - Hobo Nikkan Itoi Shinbun


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  11. #326
    Forum Member Rocks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    836
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Mega Weeks is tempting. I wound up with the Cousin, A6, and Weeks for this year. I don't use the A6. I took it on a trip, but it's too small to use as a diary for me, which is what I use the Cousin for. I carry the Weeks everywhere, but it's just not as fun or cute as the A6. But the cute A6 is just not useful for me. sigh.
    So for 2018 I'll get either Weeks/Mega Weeks and the Cousin.
    I'm pretty sure this forum introduced me to Hobonichi.

  12. #327
    TB Ravelry Moderator Mausermama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    743
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for letting us know! As tempting as those extra pages are, I am going to stick with my tried and true A5 version (is that the Original?). I greatly prefer having one page for each day. In fact, that was the main reason I bought it to begin with, even over the wonderfulness that is Tomoe River paper.

  13. #328
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    286
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This countdown with one little nugget of info each day is sort of maddening. I'm trying to decide if I get something. I really didn't use my A6 and decided to use it practice with some ink drawings. But I think the cousin may be more useful to me. with a bit more room to play around each day. I may use it to challenge myself to draw something each day for the year. A few years ago I did a photo a day for the year and I want to get back to doing something arty. I could go for a regular sketch journal but do like the calendar aspect and the Tomoe River paper.

    Do people here order from the website or from someplace like jet pens.

  14. #329
    Forum Member Rocks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    836
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I order from the Japanese Hobonichi site. You can order in English. Jetpens has a pretty good price, but their selection is limited.

  15. #330
    Volunteer Moderator Badger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Somerville, MA
    Posts
    2,324
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I order from Japan, too. The site invariably crashes a whole bunch of times between August 31-September 1 in the North American time zones, but once the Japanese traffic dies down a little bit, it's super easy to get in and out (and you can create an account to make the shopping experience even faster the next year).

    Plus, if you order from the Hobonichi online store, they throw in a bunch of little extras that you won't get from US retailers—the box/packaging itself is also lots of fun.

Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22 23 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •