Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 3 of 35 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
    GMT -03:00 (Brazil)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Hobonichi Techo thread-uploadfromtaptalk1429189949423-jpgThe Hobonichi Techo thread-uploadfromtaptalk1429190325653-jpg
    Enabling points for you @Badger! The Hobonichi Techo thread
    So much to catch up! Roll Eyes (Sarcastic)

Volunteer Moderator Alumni Badger's Avatar
    Somerville, MA
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eWalker View Post
    Enabling points for you @Badger! The Hobonichi Techo thread
    oops, haha. Apparently knowing me can be very expensive. Wink

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would say very instigating, in a good way, of course!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Badger ? What do you think are the best inks to write on Tomoe River paper?

I am under the impression that less saturated (off gray / off grey) colors / colours may be better due to the transparency/thinness of the paper...

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have both the Cousin and the A6 Hobonichi Techo. I bought the A6 "gently used" from a woman in the Facebook "Eye Candy" group. She had decided it was too small. I like having two different sizes. I use the A6 for collages and sketches, and while I also draw in the Cousin, it is my daily diary/journal. I have the Rose Poudre cover and "Trees" cover-on-cover for the A6 but no cover for the Cousin. Next year, I may try the Avec b/c I think even the A6 is a bit heavy to carry around.

Somerville, MA
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @eWalker, I usually use .4 mm Zebra gel ink and its line is so fine that there's no real bleed-through, but even when I use my Zig Cocoiro brush pen I really have to work to saturate the paper. The Pilot fountain pen ink in your picture should work just fine The Hobonichi Techo thread

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Puget Sound region
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use the following pens in my HOBO Weeks (Japanese side of store only) without bleeding or ghosting: regular old cheapo ballpoints, Sharpie pens, Frixion pens and markers. The paper also stands up well to watercolors and wet inks, coletos, jet streams.
    The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    TR paper produces some interesting results with different inks. My biggest quibble is that *even* ballpoint inks tend to smudge on this paper. On the other hand, the effect with water-based markers is really paint-like, and I love how you can wipe away faint mistakes if the ink is wet. Here are 2 freehand scribbles of the guardian statues at Horyuji, one ballpoint (Zebra Surari-- very 'surari' indeed, for the Japanese speakers here), one marker (Zig non-brush Clean Colour). They're not great, but I just uploaded them to show how different sorts of pens perform on this paper.

The other great thing about it is that it's so smooth that it actually facilitates fast sketching. Pretty amazing. I was able to scribble these in like 15 min each because the paper gives you such a good rhythm while drawing.

The Hobonichi Techo thread-11117132_1591343941151301_1925371694_n-jpg

The Hobonichi Techo thread-11137794_1593503207603548_87859829_n-jpg
    Last edited by adalangdon; 04-19-2015 at 10:40 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just wanted to include a quick note on Tomoe River paper and how bleed and feather resistant it is. I've been testing samples of really bad-behaving ink and TR paper seems to hold up perfectly against them. These inks are so naughty that they feather and bleed through even on Rhodia and Clairefontaine, so it's pretty awesome that they behave well on TR paper. So far, I've tested Concord Bream, Periwinkle, and Georgia Peach by Noodler's.

Love TR paper!

Somerville, MA
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just wanted to pop in and say that if you are a fan of the Gentleman's notebook cover from Field Notes, you may be interested in this Techo cover from One Star Leather Goods, made in America with raw materials sourced from US suppliers.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Further ink update: Tomoe River paper does not hold up against some very saturated Noodler's inks (e.g. Dragon's Napalm and Gruene Cactus). I tested these inks on my planner and they leave an icky halo that's visible on the other side of the paper-- not your standard bleed-through, but just as much of an eyesore. I think this happens because TR paper borders on translucent, so you see stuff which you would not see with thicker papers. No biggie though, since it's just a few inks that cause this to happen.

More importantly, here is a PSA for those looking to get a Hobonichi in 2016. The launch of 2016 planners will be on 1 Sep at 11AM JST. The reason you may want to check out the store when it first opens is that the more attractive/unique covers and 'covers on covers' (i.e. the plastic cover you put on top of the cover...) tend to sell out very fast. Kind of like TB stuff. If you're the kind who wants the planner of your dreams (i.e. the 'right' cover, 'right' stationery, 'right' planner doodads), you might want to log in on Day 1 to make sure you don't miss out!

Source
    Last edited by adalangdon; 08-10-2015 at 08:42 AM.

Volunteer Moderator Alumni Ilkyway's Avatar
    GMT +1 Germany, North
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    adalangdon I just did TODAY my first ever order of Noodler´s ink. We have some nice ink in Germany too but nothing with that much different color offers than Noodler's. Sorry for sidestepping it is just the exitment and that it might take a while for that ink to get to me.

Ilkyway
    “Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it in the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it so long as it was there.”

By Sir Terence David John Pratchett from The Truth

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilkyway View Post
    adalangdon I just did TODAY my first ever order of Noodler´s ink. We have some nice ink in Germany too but nothing with that much different color offers than Noodler's. Sorry for sidestepping it is just the exitment and that it might take a while for that ink to get to me.

Ilkyway
    !! What colour(s) did you get?? Did you get it from Rolf at Missing Pen? I heard he's the German distributor.

Volunteer Moderator Alumni Ilkyway's Avatar
    GMT +1 Germany, North
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh I did not even know there was a German distributor. Should have asked here first... I bought from Gourlet Pen stupid me. I looked on Amazon.de and that was more than getting it all the way from USA.

I got: Liberty's Elysium (blue), African Violet and something from De Atramentis Kokument: Fuchsia.
    My plan was to find cool colors that are waterresistend. I have two Watermans (braun and red) and three Lamys (blackblue, violett and tourquise). Only the blackblue stays somewhat readable after a "waterexident".

Ilkyway
    “Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it in the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it so long as it was there.”

By Sir Terence David John Pratchett from The Truth

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My journals are filled with lots of color. I have multiple pens filled with different colors. The pen I use on any given day usually depends on what color of ink I want to use.

I've bitten the bullet and am going to try a travelers notebook. I bought midori inserts but fauxdori ones from Etsy are arriving today (!). I'm most comfortable with inner reflection, but for a long time have wanted to just "play". I'm not very good at that. I bought some coloring pages for the TN, and would like to just cut loose. I have paint galore.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 35 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast