Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 5 of 35 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @adalangdon have you tried blotter paper? I often use paper napkins near /in my journal for quickly drying fountain pen ink. But I found blotter paper on Amazon. It will last forever. Whether you use a napkin or blotter paper, just lay it down flat on top of the writing and rub your fist over top. Then close the book with the paper still covering the writing. I also sometimes lay the paper over the top part of my writing so I can rest my non-writing (left) hand on it w/o smearing the ink. I've used fountain pens in my journals for decades and have very few smears.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marytattoo View Post
    @adalangdon have you tried blotter paper? I often use paper napkins near /in my journal for quickly drying fountain pen ink. But I found blotter paper on Amazon. It will last forever. Whether you use a napkin or blotter paper, just lay it down flat on top of the writing and rub your fist over top. Then close the book with the paper still covering the writing. I also sometimes lay the paper over the top part of my writing so I can rest my non-writing (left) hand on it w/o smearing the ink. I've used fountain pens in my journals for decades and have very few smears.
    I've done that using regular paper, yeah. I think it's due to a combination of the broader, wetter nibs that I used to use in the planner and the slow drying times of the inks I was using, but the writing would smear when I lifted the paper and the ink would still be wet O_O I suppose I won't have the same problem with actual blotting paper (I'm guessing it's way more absorbent?) and a thin nib though, so maybe I should give that a try.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You need something absorbent. So before blotting paper I just used/use a paper napkin from whatever coffee shop I'm in. And since I usually end up with extras, I put then in my bag because otherwise they will be thrown away. You can do this on everything, even checks. (I don't recommend addressing envelopes with fountain pens though in case the mail gets wet. Still, I've covered fountain pen ink with scotch tape to "waterproof" it.

Volunteer Moderator Alumni Badger's Avatar
    Somerville, MA
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Hobonichi web store was supposed to be open by now (11 a.m. Japan time), but when I tried to buy mine there was no "add to cart" option yet. The same is true on the Japanese-language version of the site. Pages are loading at a glacially slow rate, as well, but at least the 2016 store is up and all of the products are visible.

One new feature I really like: each book now has its own serial number, which means they are all unique.

ETA: It's now 21:46 and the "order now" button is visible!
    Last edited by Badger; 08-31-2015 at 08:46 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, thank goodness the Hello Kitty cover wasn't sold out when I logged in. I'd planned on sticking to my slightly frayed navy blue cover, but the Hello Kitty was too cute to resist as a fun alternative. I'm a bit disappointed that the decorative cover-on-cover for the standard techo is on the plain side, though.

Looking forward to another year of using this planner as a planner. My feelings about TR paper have varied a lot over the months (from "love!!!" to "maybe not so great" to "okay, it's pretty good all things said") but my love for the flexible 1-page-per-day layout has remained a constant.
    Last edited by adalangdon; 08-31-2015 at 11:17 PM.

Somerville, MA
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @GoStanford , you asked whether I purchased the Techo or the Avec (2 books, 6 months each). It was tempting to have less weight to carry on a daily basis, but the more I thought about it, the less I liked the idea of having to transfer information from one book to the next, and I would have had to carry around both books during May-June-July anyway so I could refer forward/backward during those transitional months. So, I got the normal 12-month planner.

Once again, I decided against a cover, even though a few were pretty tempting (like the Hello Kitty @adalangdon got, which reminds me of the backpack I had in first grade). What really almost suckered me in was these bookmarks because they feature Shiba Inus, which are, more or less, corgis with legs—but I'm a cheap bastard.

Italy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got a black Weeks.

Toronto, ON Canada
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After filling my shopping cart 5 times; getting stalled out another 5 times when I went to pay, I'm happy to say that I got my planner and the beautiful cover that I wanted (Kanga). It was a very frustrating evening! Their Facebook page does have an apology.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interestingly, I found their website to be working quite smoothly last night. I merged a couple of orders but ended up canceling almost right away so I could re-think the cover selection. I just know that I won't be filling up the Techo with beautiful art like so many users do, so I have to justify it in other ways.

Australia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Hobonichi Techo thread

I wonder why the A6 Techo is listed at a lower price than the A6 Planner (English version)? Is the planner cover made of better or more hard wearing cardboard in the English version to reflect the higher price? Any thoughts? Which version did you end up buying?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by WenV; 09-01-2015 at 04:20 PM.

Forum Member
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Probably economies of scale

Quote Originally Posted by WenV View Post
    I wonder why the A6 Techo is listed at a lower price than the A6 Planner (English version)? Is the planner cover made of better or more hard wearing cardboard in the English version to reflect the higher price? Any thoughts? Which version did you end up buying?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I'm pretty sure the Japanese Techo is made and sold in substantially higher quantity than the English version. They're probably accounting for the extra cost of developing and printing the English version too. I can't recall if they were the same price last year. At any rate, if you want it, you'll pay for it. :-)

Somerville, MA
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought the English version. My Japanese isn't good enough to to understand the daily quotes, and I do love them. I don't know if the cover is made of better paper, but it does come in black with the gold stamping. I am sure lots of people get more than one version, since each one has some unique properties.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Puget Sound region
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OMG! I placed my order last night and missed those doggie page markers. Please, someone....save me from myself.
    The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeylady View Post
    OMG! I placed my order last night and missed those doggie page markers. Please, someone....save me from myself.
    If your order hasn't shipped yet, you could place an order for the page markers and merge your 2 orders. See this page. (If you can't resist the pull of the doggies, that is...)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GoStanford View Post
    Interestingly, I found their website to be working quite smoothly last night. I merged a couple of orders but ended up canceling almost right away so I could re-think the cover selection. I just know that I won't be filling up the Techo with beautiful art like so many users do, so I have to justify it in other ways.
    Would you consider using it as a planner? (I only doodled in it because I started using the planner later in the year and had empty pages, heh) I'm nuts for the open timeline that has markers at only noon and dinner, because it lets me put down scheduled events in chronological order but also gives me plenty of space to make detailed notes when needed. I often draw a line to the right of the page to make space for a to-do list; there's more than enough space for that. And the Tomoe River paper makes everything really light for a page-a-day planner (this is my favourite thing about TR paper: it's lightweight and strong). With the other planners that were small enough to fit into my SCB, I always felt there was never enough space for writing important notes.

My suspicion from hanging out in FB groups on hobonichi is that folks who use the techo exclusively as a planner are a minority, but I just wanted to say that it excels in this capacity. I'd share a page of my very un-decorative planner, but there's just too much detailed personal info in it :S
    Last edited by adalangdon; 09-01-2015 at 09:46 PM.

Page 5 of 35 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast