Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Hampshire, UK
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, you guys are helping to empty my bank account again. Not only does this forum help me identify ways to shop more TB gear, I'm now purchasing other items based on these recommendations.

Well I splashed out on a Midori Travellers Notebook and wow, it's amazing. I used to carry several notebooks and finally a simple solution to carry all in one place.

I admit, I tried to save money first and bought an etsy one but, although nice, just wasn't as slimline and well finished. And to top it all off, I found a Japanese bookstore in London that sells them and the accessories for a fraction of the mail order prices.

Buy one of these and you won't regret it. Well worth the cost.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Aeronaut 45 (Navy/NWS), A30 (Black/Island), Tristar (Steel/Island), Western Flyer (Steel/Island), Pilot (Steel/Island), Synapse 25 (Mars Red/NWS), Synapse 19 (Black/Island) & (Burnt Orange/Steel), Ristretto 11 (Navy/Steel), Small Cafe Bag (Navy/Steel) & (Mars Red/Dawn), Daylight Briefcase (Cloud/Dawn), Side Kick (Mars Red/Dawn), Travel Cubelet (Mars Red)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, I've heard about these from this forum. But, why are they so great? I'm not being sarcastic or anything. I've journaled for nearly 50 years (I'm 57 right now). I've used almost every type of paper journal and various digital ones. Right now I'm working with the Field Journal. So, someone please tell me about this journal.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marytattoo View Post
    Ok, I've heard about these from this forum. But, why are they so great? I'm not being sarcastic or anything. I've journaled for nearly 50 years (I'm 57 right now). I've used almost every type of paper journal and various digital ones. Right now I'm working with the Field Journal. So, someone please tell me about this journal.
    It is a new way to keep together thin notebooks with different paper, in a somewhat lightweight and definitely refillable manner.

The sewn notebooks are very lightweight and so are the elastics that keeps them tethered to their leather cover, which is itself, not so light weigh.

Because the name brand is so expensive, there has been a slew of Fauxdori, D.I.Y ways to make a similar setup.

Forum Member
    Oregon
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking

Hello, @perseffect!

May I ask what Japanese bookstore in London?

I am heading to the French Open next week with a few days in London before the tennis begins in Paris and would love to make a stop there!

Thank you! dutyfree

Australia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi All,

I finally received my Davis Leatherworks notebook cover today. Inside was a Field Notes notebook (included) and I also ordered an extra set of rubber bands for expansion. However, I found I could add at most another pocket sized notebook. The leather was not wide enough to handle the thickness of 3 notebooks. I added a Clairefontaine notebook which I already had. I'm quite pleased with the leather cover and the overall look of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm waiting for an order from Davis Leatherworks right now! --pocket size, not really bothered by the two-notebook limit since I'd prefer it not to be bulky.

Like someone else mentioned earlier, I tried a fauxdori from a seller on Etsy a couple months ago, hoping that it would be able to accomodate a more standard paper/notebook size, but it turned out not being as slimline as I'd hoped. ):

Australia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Juliana, what cover did you order? As an update to my Davis cover, I've since added a Midori plastic zipper pouch and Kraft folder. As you can see from the pic it doesn't increase the bulk significantly but has made the TN very useful during my recent conference travel, helping me to stay organized.

Australia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And just so I don't stray too far from the title of this thread, here is my family of notebooks...yep, I have fallen down the rabbit hole of Midori TNs... Smilie

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All right, hoping I can get some input here!

I like the idea of the Midori notebook, but would rather use more standard-sized inserts, such as moleskine cahiers and field notes, without having them stick out or line up with the edge of the cover. So I started looking into fauxdoris instead.

My first attempt was a large-ish one (I think about 8.25 x 5in) by Foxy Fix, but it's actually a bit too thick. I prefer something more streamlined that lies a little flatter -- I don't usually keep more than two inserts (plus a folder or pocket thing) inside. Maybe three. Even if I keep only two inserts inside, the leather is thick enough that the binding won't go any flatter.

My second was a pocket-sized cover by zenokleather, also on Etsy. I like how flat it is, and the binding, but I don't like the closure strap and notches as much.

Anyway, I'd like to try another 8.25 x 5in cover. Anyone have any suggestions?
    Last edited by Juliana; 02-04-2016 at 10:52 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Juliana View Post
    All right, hoping I can get some input here!

I like the idea of the Midori notebook, but would rather use more standard-sized inserts, such as moleskine cahiers and field notes, without having them stick out or line up with the edge of the cover. So I started looking into fauxdoris instead.

My first attempt was a large-ish one (I think about 8.25 x 5in) by Foxy Fix, but it's actually a bit too thick. I prefer something more streamlined that lies a little flatter -- I don't usually keep more than two inserts (plus a folder or pocket thing) inside. Maybe three. Even if I keep only two inserts inside, the leather is thick enough that the binding won't go any flatter.

My second was a pocket-sized cover by zenokleather, also on Etsy. I like how flat it is, and the binding, but I don't like the closure strap and notches as much.

Anyway, I'd like to try another 8.25 x 5in cover. Anyone have any suggestions?
    I would suggest Chicken Sparrow - ChicSparrow. Jennifer Harvey creates an excellent product.

I would also suggest you watch travelers notebook videos on YouTube. Just search travelers notebooks, and perhaps include the name of the company you're looking for.

Finally, there are various Facebook groups you can join, where you can ask questions of other users. There's also a buy and sell group where you might pick up a good one that is being re-homed.

another good company on Etsy, by the way, is Speckled Fawns. (there's a similar-sounding shop, 3 speckled fawns, but it's not the same). I'm also anxiously waiting for an order from Naked Cow on Etsy. Joey makes a beautiful beautiful product full of innovation. There are many video reviews of his products, a notable one being by Miss Vickybee.

(another favorite is the Sojourners Travelers Notebook by Rowena at www.sojournerusa.net. I have several of her notebooks and they are not overwhelmingly thick)

HTH.
    Last edited by marytattoo; 02-04-2016 at 11:53 AM.

Winnipeg, Canada
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ordered a trifold journal cover from Red Robin on Etsy, and am quite pleased. I use Moleskine Cahiers and it works nicely with a single or with multiple notebooks. I can also fit in a hardback Moleskine notebook, although I don't use an elastic for that one.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the suggestions! Most of the sample pictures are with 4-6 inserts already inside, though -- I'm looking for something that will close relatively flat around just 2-3 inserts, with a slimmer profile. Hoping maybe someone could tell me how theirs looks after they remove a few!

The trifold looks nice, but is just a bit too much wrappage for me. Wink

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You don't have to put in so many inserts. I also know Rowena at www.sojournerusa.net will work with you. She is a minimalist.

Have you considered just buying the Midori brand? You can get it on amazon. It's very slim.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The slimness of the original Midori is actually exactly what I want, but I was afraid if I used standard-sized Moleskine inserts, they'd poke out over the edge.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rowena's "gazelle leather" feels very much like the standard Midori leather. People on Instagram just love it. I'm sure she would cut it to the right size (she does her own work). seriously. You'd get something which feels like Midori and actually looks/feels a lot like the leather but is made in the USA.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast