Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rowena sounds great, actually. I'll contact her! Thanks for the help!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Juliana View Post
    Rowena sounds great, actually. I'll contact her! Thanks for the help!
    Tell her I referred you (doesn't get me any perks but she might like knowing how you heard of her). She uses a FN inside her larger TNs because she likes to journal in a FN. She also has YouTube vids under Sojourners Travelers Notebooks or Retrowtures.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sure thing, should I refer to you by username, or...?

My notebook and pen obsession have gotten a bit out of hand, haha.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sure thing, should I refer to you by username, or...?

My notebook and pen obsession have gotten a bit out of hand, haha.
    Username or Mary Hazlett. If you are on Instagram (I look up people who use travelers notebooks) she's @retrowtures.

Forum Member
    VA
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sometimes you will see Wide and Extrawide used for the 8.25x5 sized Moleskine cahiers. The difference is if you want to get multiple notebooks in there, or notebooks with the edges hidden by the leather, (so you can add tabs, or whatever and they will not bend in your bag) the Extrawide will accommodate that. The Wide will have the edges of the notebooks come to the edge of the leather. Each maker of the "faux"doris will have different sizing. On Etsy.com, the makers are easy to contact and overall my experience is that if you ask very specific questions, they will help you can figure it out. Good luck!

Northern California
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WenV View Post
    Hi Juliana, what cover did you order? As an update to my Davis cover, I've since added a Midori plastic zipper pouch and Kraft folder. As you can see from the pic it doesn't increase the bulk significantly but has made the TN very useful during my recent conference travel, helping me to stay organized.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    @WenV , I'm digging that green paper clip (annoying how I only see and find brass ones everywhere); where did you buy it?

Thank you!

Australia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    @WenV , I'm digging that green paper clip (annoying how I only see and find brass ones everywhere); where did you buy it?

Thank you!
    Hi Peruvian, it is a Marbig clip that probably came from Staples (Australia). I'm sure you can easily find one in the States. Here's a picture:

Northern California
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @WenV Thank you!

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just wanted to update with a summary of my current lineup and some thoughts!

I got a Classic Sojourner from Rowena and it's beautiful -- didn't end up using the gazelle leather because she suggested the stag/ibex type for a slimmer profile, so I assume that the surface of mine is a bit smoother than what gazelle would be. I've only had it a few days, but I like it so far. The elastic in hers have to stretch a bit more in order for the inserts to fit, but I'm told that is intentionally part of the design so that they can't slide out. That's all good with me! I'm a bit paranoid about how durable the elastic will be in the long run, but I have faith!

I also recently received a pocket-sized cover in American Buffalo leather from Davis Leatherworks. First impressions: love the feel of the leather. The edges are a little "flaky," but Chris assured me they're just a bit loose from the leather being cut, and that it'll stop doing that after a bit of use. One thing I don't like as much is the elastic. It's got more of a grippy plastic/rubber feel to it, and due to the way it runs (I believe it's there's only one single strand total -- you may be able to see it in WenV's images), sometimes when I'm stretching the elastic closure in order to close it, the whole thing ends up lopsided and it's not aligned over the spine anymore. It's easy enough to pull back into shape, just a bit of a hassle. I think it'll take a bit of practice to use the elastic closure without ending up with everything out of alignment, haha.

I also have a pocket-sized cover from zenokleather on Etsy that I got about a year ago. I like it -- it's got style and it's very well made. His designs have a piece of leather on the elastic closure like so (in fact, that might be the exact same one I have), which means when you're stretching the elastic out and around, you have to use your fingers to pull the piece of leather apart so that half goes on each side. At first I thought about just cutting it off, but the elastic is pretty thin and I think the leather piece ends up being more of a help than a hindrance. (Plus, I got used to it after a while.)

My first Midori-style cover was one I got from FoxyFix on Etsy. The leather was thicker and it ended up being a bit too hefty for me, but overall the binding and closure elastic style is one of my favorites. I think it's a lot like the actual Midori, in that the elastic closure knot is in the middle of the back cover. I know some people don't like it that way, but I actually find it easier to use.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just wanted to update with a summary of my current lineup and some thoughts!

I got a Classic Sojourner from Rowena and it's beautiful -- didn't end up using the gazelle leather because she suggested the stag/ibex type for a slimmer profile, so I assume that the surface of mine is a bit smoother than what gazelle would be. I've only had it a few days, but I like it so far. The elastic in hers have to stretch a bit more in order for the inserts to fit, but I'm told that is intentionally part of the design so that they can't slide out. That's all good with me! I'm a bit paranoid about how durable the elastic will be in the long run, but I have faith!

I also recently received a pocket-sized cover in American Buffalo leather from Davis Leatherworks. First impressions: love the feel of the leather. The edges are a little "flaky," but Chris assured me they're just a bit loose from the leather being cut, and that it'll stop doing that after a bit of use. One thing I don't like as much is the elastic. It's got more of a grippy plastic/rubber feel to it, and due to the way it runs (I believe it's there's only one single strand total -- you may be able to see it in WenV's images), sometimes when I'm stretching the elastic closure in order to close it, the whole thing ends up lopsided and it's not aligned over the spine anymore. It's easy enough to pull back into shape, just a bit of a hassle. I think it'll take a bit of practice to use the elastic closure without ending up with everything out of alignment, haha.

I also have a pocket-sized cover from zenokleather on Etsy that I got about a year ago. I like it -- it's got style and it's very well made. His designs have a piece of leather on the elastic closure like so (in fact, that might be the exact same one I have), which means when you're stretching the elastic out and around, you have to use your fingers to pull the piece of leather apart so that half goes on each side. At first I thought about just cutting it off, but the elastic is pretty thin and I think the leather piece ends up being more of a help than a hindrance. (Plus, I got used to it after a while.)

My first Midori-style cover was one I got from FoxyFix on Etsy. The leather was thicker and it ended up being a bit too hefty for me, but overall the binding and closure elastic style is one of my favorites. I think it's a lot like the actual Midori, in that the elastic closure knot is in the middle of the back cover. I know some people don't like it that way, but I actually find it easier to use.
    I really like Rowena's work! I have 3 or 4 (different sizes), including my current B6 slim in the gazelle. It's leather is similar in many ways to the true Midori brands leather. I have quite a few TNs, and this is the closest. But, I have other notebooks I love too. And something in cherry ice on its way from Naked Cow. Anticipation, as he is in Malaysia!

Australia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm still using my Davis Leatherworks' Horween Chromexel cover, and I still prefer it over another wallet notebook cover I got from Naked Cow, mainly because of the slimmer profile. The elastic issue doesn't bother me too much as it is quite easy and quick to re-adjust after closure. I use the Davis cover as a minimalist wallet and a couple of notebooks for bullet journaling and collection notes.

The Naked Cow field notes sized notebook wallet cover I got is a beautiful notebook but I do find the wallet part a bit cumbersome to use, especially when I am opening it frequently to pay for items at the market. Otherwise, it is good for occasional payment EDC use.

I am saving up for a Foxy Fix Butterscotch Wanderlust notebook. Just the right color and texture for my taste... Wink

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TB Ravelry Moderator Mausermama's Avatar
    Florida
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have so enjoyed following this thread stealthily for the past year or so! I keep thinking I'd like to get one of those fabulous notebooks. As a lefty, I am challenged by any spiral or 3-ring system. I love my FJN, but I always remove the pages to write on before inserting them in again. For this reason (along with the weight of the notebook) the system has a permanent spot on my desk as my "control journal." I use it daily and love it, but I need something that will work out in the field. Previously I have been using naked moleskine notebooks, but now that ya'll have gotten me on the fountain pen bandwagon, I find I prefer a different type of paper that is a little more conducive to those inks. To that end I have been using a Filofax notebook. It is lightweight and cute. My only beef with it was that I couldn't insert my own custom pages in it because of the ring/paper system. I finally found an ARC hole punch from Staples and I'm off and running. Here are a few photos to share.
    Midori Traveler's Notebook-img_5271-jpg
    This is a picture of my Imago. I took it out last night to my first book club meeting. We had just finished The Portrait of a Lady and I was up to choose the next book (To the Lighthouse by Woolf). Anyway, you can see the pink notebook peeking out from my MCB FS.
    Midori Traveler's Notebook-img_5274-jpg
    This is the front of the notebook. I put some sticky notes in that come with the ARC system. They just slip into the rings.
    Midori Traveler's Notebook-img_5276-jpgMidori Traveler's Notebook-img_5277-jpg
    The above photos are of my weekly and monthly pages, which sit directly behind my daily page. I print these off and punch them. Using the Washi tape makes for a prettier presentation and also makes them more secure in the notebook. As a leftie, I still remove pages to write, but it is so easy to slip them back into the notebook. I don't have to open anything, just slide them between the rings.

There are a few page dividers that come with the notebook. The blue one also has a pocket so I keep stickers, stamps, and receipts in it.

Anyway, I will keep looking at all those beautiful notebooks. Someday I will likely have one, but for now my cheap system is working pretty well.

I was looking for the Rowena notebook that was mentioned in an earlier thread, but I haven't been able to find it. Can anyone provide a link? I'd be much obliged! Thanks!

Sigh. It looks like everything posted upside down. Again. I have no idea how to change it all. I'm so sorry!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just received my Naked Cow field notes size Kay-B Special wallet in Cherry Ice. I'd been using a passport size Midori but found it just a bit small. Because of the many pockets in the Kay-B I was able to get rid of one vinyl card flip insert. I've kept inside a vinyl zip and keep a few small paper items inside and in the back of that insert I have a few small photos and stamps. The tan insert is from Baum-Kuchen and I use the zip for coins. The wallet has 4 bands. At the moment I'm using my passport size notebook for jotting but it holds field notes inserts. One can use this as a travelers notebook and wallet combo but I prefer it to be simply a wallet. If I was traveling light, i'd add a FN insert (I have an unused band remaining). FWIW, this item comes with a small fountain pen and it works great. I found refills on amazon.

The last pic shows the comfortable fit inside my SE.

ETA: I am experimenting with keeping my cash slipped beneath a band. So far I like it much better than folding it inside a pocket.

And, under the cards in the front of the wallet is a pocket.
    Last edited by marytattoo; 02-27-2016 at 10:47 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Midori Traveler's Notebook

Thanks to yalls, and a need to consolidate the stuff in my EDC, this is on its way to me along with a plastic zip folder insert. I plan to get a cheapo field notes sized book for on-the-go brainstorming and note-taking and a weekly planner insert. Right now these 3 functions are spread out across 3 items and it's very fiddly because I tend to need all 3 at once these days.

Would anyone have recommendations for a weekly planner insert that is like the Hobonichi Weeks? I'm seeking something with the days of the week on one side and a blank page on the other.

Last edited by adalangdon; 06-23-2016 at 05:15 AM.

Forum Member
    VA
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks beautiful! You can easily make your own "weeks" set up if you get a grid book, and just divide one face of a page into 6 (the bottom one can then be divided in half for Sat/Sun) or 7 sections, and the other facing page left blank for notes. If you look at Etsy, there are lots of cool inserts available there. There is a shop called Growing Up Goddess that makes nice products with different color covers to choose from in all sorts of formats. Yellow PaperHouse is another good shop to check out. Enjoy!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast