Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
TOM BIHN Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. TOM BIHN has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Midori Traveler's Notebook

For the past days I have been thinking about writing about the Toraberazunoto, but couldn't find the right words to start... how can I describe why I like a product that is really that simple?

Really short, objective description : a rectangular piece of leather (brown or black) with one horizontal elastic on the outside to close it and one vertical inside to hold the inserts.

Midori Traveler's Notebook-image-php-jpg

Midori Traveler's Notebook-special_join_04-jpg

Not very exciting, is it?

To be able to really make it justice, I will have to step back and with the help of the wikipedia, try to explain the basic concept of the Toraberazunoto.

Shibui (渋い) (adjective), shibumi (渋み) (noun), or shibusa (渋さ) (noun) are Japanese words which refer to a particular aesthetic of simple, subtle, and unobtrusive beauty.

Shibusa is an enriched, subdued appearance or experience of intrinsically fine quality with economy of form, line, and effort, producing a timeless tranquility. Shibusa includes the following essential qualities:

1. Shibui objects appear to be simple overall but they include subtle details, such as textures, that balance simplicity with complexity.
    2. This balance of simplicity and complexity ensures that one does not tire of a shibui object but constantly finds new meanings and enriched beauty that cause its aesthetic value to grow over the years.
    3. Shibusa is not to be confused with wabi or sabi. Though many wabi or sabi objects are shibui, not all shibui objects are wabi or sabi. Wabi or sabi objects can be more severe and sometimes exaggerate intentional imperfections to such an extent that they can appear to be artificial. Shibui objects are not necessarily imperfect or asymmetrical, though they can include these qualities.
    4. Shibusa walks a fine line between contrasting aesthetic concepts such as elegant and rough or spontaneous and restrained.

The colors of shibusa are "muddy" colors. For example, in interior decorating and painting, gray is added to primary colors to create a silvery effect that ties the different colors together into a coordinated scheme. Depending upon how much gray is added, shibui colors range from pastels to dark. Occasionally, a patch of brighter color is added as a highlight.

The seven elements of shibusa are simplicity, implicity, modesty, silence, naturalness, everydayness, and imperfection. The aristocratic simplicity of shibusa is the refined expression of the essence of elements in an aesthetic experience producing quietude. Spare elegance is evident in darkling serenity with a hint of sparkle. Implicity allows depth of feeling to be visible through a spare surface design thereby manifesting the invisible core that offers new meanings with each encounter. The person of shibusa modesty exalts excellence via a thoroughness of taking time to learn, watch, read, understand, develop, think, and merges into understatement and silence concerning oneself. Shibusa's sanctuary of silence, non-dualism—the resolution of opposites, is intuition coupled with beauty and faith as foundations for phases of truth revealing the worship and reverence for life. Naturalness conveys spontaneity in growth, unforced. The healthy roughness of texture and irregular asymmetrical form maintain shibusa freedom wherein the center lies beyond all particular things in infinity. Everydayness raises ordinary things to a place of honor refined of all artificial and unnecessary properties thus imparting spiritual joy for today is more auspicious than tomorrow. Shibusa everydayness provides a framework, a tradition for an artist's oeuvre to be a unit not a process.

Hiroshi Mizuo argues that the best examples of shibusa are found in the crafts, which are ordinary objects made to be used; also, since they are mass-produced, they tend to be more spontaneous and healthy than many of the fine arts. Imperfection in shibusa Soetsu Yanagi in The Unknown Craftsman refers to as "beauty with inner implications". It is not a beauty displayed before the viewer by its creator; creation here means making a piece that will lead the viewer to draw beauty out of it for oneself. Shibui beauty, as in the beauty of Tea Ceremony, is beauty that makes an artist of the viewer." The Lang 8 Blog includes this observation: ...things or persons liked by kids or younger people are generally not shibui. So milk is not shibui, but Highland single malt Scotch whisky is shibui.

In James A. Michener's book Iberia the adjective 'shibui' is referenced as follows: "The Japanese have a word which summarizes all the best in Japanese life, yet it has no explanation and cannot be translated. It is the word shibui, and the best approximation to its meaning is 'acerbic good taste.'" The author Trevanian (the nom de plume of Dr. Rodney William Whitaker) wrote in his 1979 best-selling novel Shibumi, “Shibumi has to do with great refinement underlying commonplace appearances.” In the business fable The Shibumi Strategy, the author, Matthew May, wrote that shibumi "has come to denote those things that exhibit in paradox and all at once the very best of everything and nothing: Elegant simplicity. Effortless effectiveness. Understated excellence. Beautiful imperfection."

Sorry to abuse of the "cut and paste" here, but couldn't move forward without first establishing this, after all this is the same reason why I felt in love with Tom Bihn products, specially the Aeronaut.

But going back to the specifics...

Comparative description: the Toraberazunoto has the same functionality and versatility of the Filofax but without the bulk or the weight of the Ring Mechanism, instead of using metal rings it resorts to elastics and rubber bands to hold it's contents.

To me this difference gives to to the Toraberazunoto the exact same advantages the Aeronaut has over the wheeled carry-on:

. Less bulk
    . Less weight
    . Easier to store
    . T.A.R.D.I.S. effect
    . Endless configurations
    . Highly updatable content
    . Easy to change configurations
    . No mechanisms to break or rust
    . Great eclectic and enthusiastic support ecosystem

Really guys... people of all kinds of backgrounds, ages, tastes and occupations find good uses for this thing!

My personal reasons to like it...

I hate spiral notebooks and tolerate ring binders! Why? I can´t find a comfortable position to write on the left page of the spiral notebooks and I dislike the bulk of the ring binders. What about the moleskines and others like it? Well, it´s what I use, but it bothers me to have to carry more then I need.

Good example of this is a full year diary or planner... I would be happier with a three months fascicle, for example... Got it?!

The Toraberazunoto inserts open as flat as a notebook can open! And you fill it with just about anything you mind conceive and your heart desire! Very easy to make your own inserts, there are no awkward holes or thick bindings to deal with. It can be as simple as a couple folded pages of any kind of paper!

What I dislike...

1. The page format... I like to stick to standard formats like A5, A6 and/or A7. First of all, because is easier to find replacements. Second, familiarity with the size. Third, means no wastes in making it (A7 is half of A6, A6 is half of A5, A5 is half of A4, A4 is half of A3, A3 is half of A2, A2 is half of A1, A1 is half of A0 and A0 is the size made by the paper companies)
    2. Too few cover color options

Disclaimer: I have no stock options on Midori or Tom Bihn, Inc. !

HTH

eWalker
    Last edited by eWalker; 02-17-2015 at 03:42 PM.
    So much to catch up!

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    eWalker you always find so very interesting things! I like the simplicity and the beauty. For reasons I mentioned in your thread about journaling I prefer A5 too and like being able to sort pages but this is quite in tone with your last (?) design quote about perfection being when there is nothing left to take away rather than add to a product.

Ilkyway

PS: had to laugh quite a bit over your Disclaimer.
    “Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it in the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it so long as it was there.”

By Sir Terence David John Pratchett from The Truth

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilkyway View Post
    eWalker you always find so very interesting things! I like the simplicity and the beauty. For reasons I mentioned in your thread about journaling I prefer A5 too and like being able to sort pages but this is quite in tone with your last (?) design quote about perfection being when there is nothing left to take away rather than add to a product.

Ilkyway

PS: had to laugh quite a bit over your Disclaimer.
    The paper size is the main reason I am planning to make an "eWalkerdori" !!

Oh boy... that is really an hideous name!! Any way... a cover made to fit A5 inserts would be just perfect!!
    I even checked the JetPens site and they sell Tomoe River A4 sized paper! I would just have to folder in half and I would make, easily, an A5 booklet to fit my desires and needs!

I could´t resist writing the disclaimer!! I tend to be too passionate about things I like!!
    So much to catch up!

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I almost forgot... There is an accessory that I find particularly useful, a binder without rings for the used inserts...

Midori Traveler's Notebook-69831-jpgMidori Traveler's Notebook-69832-jpgMidori Traveler's Notebook-69833-jpgMidori Traveler's Notebook-69834-jpgMidori Traveler's Notebook-69835-jpgMidori Traveler's Notebook-69836-jpgMidori Traveler's Notebook-69837-jpgMidori Traveler's Notebook-69838-jpgMidori Traveler's Notebook-69839-jpgMidori Traveler's Notebook-69840-jpgMidori Traveler's Notebook-69841-jpgMidori Traveler's Notebook-69842-jpg
    Last edited by eWalker; 02-17-2015 at 06:24 PM.
    So much to catch up!

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @eWalker, how about a Pandori instead?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pokilani View Post
    @eWalker, how about a Pandori instead?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    @Pokilani LOL Loved the idea!!

Even got an idea for a trademark for it! The interrobang in the Palatino Linotype font

Last edited by eWalker; 02-18-2015 at 12:42 AM.
    So much to catch up!

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    eWalker maybe this will give you some editional ideas? This product has a kind of big brother: the X47 that I used for some time. I my dog chewd on it when he was a puppy (he did that to a LOT of things). The other reason, why I did not replace it, was because the X47 does only work with refills bought from X47. Later they invented the X17 where you can put in anything. But in the first years this product looked kind of dull. Now it has evolved: X17: Ringbuch mit Ringen, Organizer, Terminplaner, Terminkalender, Notizbuch A4, A7, A6, A52015, 2016

Ilkyway
    “Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it in the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it so long as it was there.”

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @ilkway

This is exactly what I was looking for!

A leather cover like a Midori but with four elastics to hold inserts, the size of Hobonichi Techo e Hobonichi Cousin (A6 / A5)!

The only things missing is... inserts made of the same paper used on Hobonichi pages (Tomoe River) and Hobonichi pen holder.

But the inserts I can make sewing A4 paper sold @ JetPen.com and the pen holder I can order from Hobonichi site!

Midori Traveler's Notebook-slide_2-jpg

Thanks a lot!

ETA: Their product matrix is huge and some product pages don't have English versions, but it's manageable with Google Chrome + translator! Midori Traveler's Notebook
    Last edited by eWalker; 02-22-2015 at 12:30 AM.
    So much to catch up!

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad I could help. If I can translate something for you just say so.

Ilkyway

The penholder looks nice!

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would appreciate that! Midori Traveler's Notebook

I will pinpoint the gaps and get back to you (most probably tomorrow)!
    So much to catch up!

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @ilkway It was a A5 sized recipe book I was looking at and did not know!

Midori Traveler's Notebook-kochlust-cognac-4er-jpg

I had to watch some videos from their youtube channel to finally grasp what I was looking at!

The other thing was the Mind papers... Mind-Papers - das neue Karteikartenkonzept

Midori Traveler's Notebook-mindpaper_turm_cognac_390dpi_5981-jpg

Liked those to use for random notes and things like thai phrases or something like that!

That pretty much nails down my AnaLog Setup!

Thanks a lot for the tip @ilkway! You are the best!
    Last edited by eWalker; 02-22-2015 at 07:06 PM.
    So much to catch up!

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a Cousins cover with two Hobo notebooks slid into each side and one to two more with elastics to those.
    The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    eWalker I had overlooked your post, sorry. This recipe-book can be filled with simple notes too, obviously. It just has this cooking-related pictographs to it.
    If you are getting one of these Mind-Paper things I would love to see some pictures. Even so the it is in German I cant seem to get my head around how this is meant to work.
    I have ordered an A5 cover with for two notebooks that I want to use as a diary. I keep my calender and to to lists in the Field Journal and it works just great for that but I feel a diary can not bee on loose leaves.

I had written a Diary from 14 till 28 but than stopped for one reason or another. Now I feel it is time to start again. And I want to try and have my girls keep a diary too since it is a great way to deal with all the various tasks life challenges them with. So for get them started we all sit around the table for 10 minutes after dinner and each writs (or draws) in their own book. Lets see, what comes of it.

Ilkyway

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eWalker View Post
    I almost forgot... There is an accessory that I find particularly useful, a binder without rings for the used inserts...

Midori Traveler's Notebook-69831-jpgMidori Traveler's Notebook-69832-jpgMidori Traveler's Notebook-69833-jpgMidori Traveler's Notebook-69834-jpgMidori Traveler's Notebook-69835-jpgMidori Traveler's Notebook-69836-jpgMidori Traveler's Notebook-69837-jpgMidori Traveler's Notebook-69838-jpgMidori Traveler's Notebook-69839-jpgMidori Traveler's Notebook-69840-jpgMidori Traveler's Notebook-69841-jpgMidori Traveler's Notebook-69842-jpg
    How does one purchase that ?
    Gulfcoastgal. .....

ISO. Cork LS +Indigo /sapphire /green
    ISO. Swift Red Indigo(❤️)
    my TB fleet:
    Swift: Turquoise
    LS:Turquoise /Azalea/black dyneema/red
    LSB big Black
    SSB: Black /Solar/monarch
    SCB azalea
    LCB in azure
    PCSB: Iberian /UV