Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Dallas, Texas
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BJ Nemeth View Post

It might help to think of this product as an expansion of the iPad concept, rather than a simplification of the MacBook Air. The iPad has a single port, primarily used for charging, and a headphone jack. The iPad relies almost exclusively on wireless technologies. And the iPad is incredibly popular.
    That is a good point-- it seems to be more of an updated iPad with a keyboard. I am not impressed by this new macbook-- it seems crippled compared to the Retina Pro and Air lines (slower, fewer ports), and even crippled compared to an iPad (no touchscreen). Its only advantage compared to an Air is the retina screen, and its only advantage compared to a Pro is the weight. And yet, I'm sure plenty of people will buy it because it's thin, light, and new, and that will matter most to a lot of people.

What I would really like to see is an "iPad Pro"-- a touchscreen convertible laptop running the full OS, like so many other manufacturers are doing on the Windows side. I just bought a Toshiba Satellite Radius 11", which flips back into a tablet, and also runs Windows 8.1. 500gb hard drive space, 4 gb ram, and only $450. I wish Apple would make such a beast. I'd buy that.

Even more-- I'd like to see an "iPad Pro Designer Version" which would be the same as the above, but with a pressure-sensitive stylus included.
    Donít make something unless it is both necessary and useful; but if it is both necessary and useful, donít hesitate to make it beautiful. ó Shaker Philosophy

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Amy View Post
    That is a good point-- it seems to be more of an updated iPad with a keyboard. I am not impressed by this new macbook-- it seems crippled compared to the Retina Pro and Air lines (slower, fewer ports), and even crippled compared to an iPad (no touchscreen). Its only advantage compared to an Air is the retina screen, and its only advantage compared to a Pro is the weight. And yet, I'm sure plenty of people will buy it because it's thin, light, and new, and that will matter most to a lot of people.
    I agree! I was expecting that the new laptop would be about the size of the 11inch Macbook Air, with more power and features, not less. The only thing I like about it is the wider screen, but I'm not sure I personally care about the increased resolution. Hoping the Macbook Airs, as they are now, stay in the lineup.
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Forum Member
    Texas
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the idea of the small but hi-res screen that's smaller than my MBA, but I am definitely wary of a one-port-for-all-things approach. Still, I hope it inspires some other things along similar lines (small computer, big-as-possible screen).

Forum Member
    Atlanta, GA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Amy View Post
    it seems crippled compared to the Retina Pro and Air lines (slower, fewer ports), and even crippled compared to an iPad (no touchscreen).
    A touchscreen would serve little purpose on the 12" Retina MacBook, because it runs an operating system (Mac OS X) that was designed for a completely different paradigm -- a keyboard and a mouse/trackpad.

The iOS operating system on an iPad is designed for touch, so it has a touchscreen. The Mac OS X operating system is designed for a keyboard and mouse (or keyboard and trackpad), so it doesn't have a touchscreen. The input method is fundamental to the design and functionality of an operating system, and changing it would require a major overhaul and an extended period of adjustment for software programmers and users.

Apple has shown no interest in making a touchscreen laptop, or an iPad that runs the full Mac OS X. That could change in the future, but the marketplace seems to be proving Apple's strategy is a lot more profitable than Microsoft's all-in-one Surface tablet-laptops.
    Aeronaut (Original in Hunter Green), Aeronaut 30 (Forest), Smart Alec (Hunter Green), Pilot (Forest), Co-Pilot (Coyote), Synapse 25 (Black Dyneema), Two Large Shop Bags (Iberian and Steel), Passport Pouch (Iberian), Two Travel Trays (Solar stays in the Aeronaut, Iberian stays home), more than a dozen accessories.

Volunteer Moderator Alumni Badger's Avatar
    Somerville, MA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Giving up a bit of speed or power (that most people do not exploit to the fullest anyway) is a compromise that may or may not be worth it to you. Giving up a crap ton of ports may or may not be worth it to you. There are models out there to suit different needs and preferences, including in the existing Apple lineup. Not everyone is going to be the target audience for every product, and it would be distressing if companies (in general, not just Apple) adopted a retrogressive perspective towards innovation in design so that some of its customers' comfort level with the product was kept undisturbed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Somewhere in the Hills
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just an update on this thread; MacRumors just published links to a bunch of top-notch review-articles on the new 12-inch MacBook ultra-ultra-slim spartan laptop computer.

MacRumors Review Roundup

The Verge also published a video review, which makes some very persuasive arguments, alternately praising and criticizing the new USB-C MacBook.

Owner of: Brain Bag backpack (Black), Field Journal Notebook (Blue), Snake Charmer (Small, Orange), Super Ego briefcase (Black / Indigo / Steel) with Reflective Strip, Brain Cell (Steel), Horizontal Freudian Slip, various Organizer Pouches and Key Straps, and a Side Effect (Black / Wassabi) worn as a belt-style hip-pack.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3