Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So...Who's a Doctor Who fan?

I keep seeing mention of the TARDIS and the TB bags' TARDIS-like tendencies. So are there a lot of fans of the Doctor here?

I am binge-watching the First Series (with the Ninth Doctor) this weekend. I had my doubts as to whether I'd like the program (I wasn't a fan of the original series) but so far I am liking it very much. I think the theme music is the coolest TV program theme ever!

Looking forward to the Tenth Doctor as I think he is a hottie.

By the seaside, England
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some of us pre-date the rebooted series. I started watching it near the end of the Jon Pertwee era (third Doctor)...

If you like the current arrangement of the theme tune you might like to see if you can find a recording of the original, groundbreaking Delia Derbyshire version. Ron Grainer, the composer, reportedly reacted in shock when he first heard it, asking "Did I write that?" To which she allegedly replied: "Mostly..." Smilie
    Last edited by PaulT00; 04-04-2015 at 02:56 PM.
    A45CC K CQPC 3DCCGES25 SK SCBQKTTMCBLSB TT TSS4 PCSBSCBTT CQPC PQBPQK LT SETT 3DCCQKS19 TT P3DCCTS PP BBLCBCP TTRi QK NFTD A30DLBC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never watched it. My first hearing of it was before Christmas when a knitter was knitting her daughter a Tardis and 2 others were knitting Dr. Who scarves. The Tardis was a kleenex box holder for her young daughter.

By the seaside, England
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My grandmother was a prolific knitter. Not a birthday or Christmas went by without at least a couple of handmade sweaters, although as I grew older (and larger) she did occasionally opine that knitting a sweater for me was a bit like knitting a blanket (apparently the back panel, for a 6' tall male with a 46" chest, goes on and on...). She once knitted me a 15 foot long scarf a la Tom Baker's version in Doctor Who, although as she wasn't an obsessive fan the colours weren't right...

Fast forward 30 years or so and the Horror channel in the UK are repeating many of the old series of Doctor Who. Being an obsessive fan, I can see maybe 30 seconds of an episode and have a better than 90% chance of identifying the story involved. For some reason, my other half finds this somewhere between weird, disturbing and spooky... In the last few weeks alone I was able to correctly identify 'The Ark In Space', 'The Androids of Tara' and 'The Keeper of Traken' on sight, much to the bemusement of the rest of the household.
    A45CC K CQPC 3DCCGES25 SK SCBQKTTMCBLSB TT TSS4 PCSBSCBTT CQPC PQBPQK LT SETT 3DCCQKS19 TT P3DCCTS PP BBLCBCP TTRi QK NFTD A30DLBC

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Internet to the rescue:

Delia Derbyshire theme https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NPJ6GMXM3E

All themes https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkcHgI_TIYQ

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I have finished with the Ninth Doctor episodes and will move forward. I liked it better than I thought I would. I'm not much of a TV person so I never know if I will like a program or not. Especially if it's really popular!

Cambridge, UK
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like PaulT00, I've been watching it since I was small enough to be totally freaked out by the theme music - my first memories of the show are from the Jon Pertwee (3rd Doctor) era, but "my" Doctor is definitely Tom Baker, who played the role through my entire teens. Sure it was clunky, but the scariness made it cool Smilie

When I decided to start knitting again last year, one of the first things I embarked on was an authentic Tom Baker scarf - though of course it took me a long time to knit!
    Collections:
    Work EDC: SE + S19
    Leisure: SCBs, FJN, Swift, lots of YSSs
    Travel: WF + Pilot or SA, with SE/SCB
    General organisation: More pouches, stuff sacks and cubes than you can shake a keystrap at!
    Favourite TB colours: aubergine, forest (sniff!), linen, wasabi, UV
    Hoping for: A new dyneema colour for YSSs; a Linen Side Effect; the return of Portable Culture!

Volunteer Moderator Alumni Ilkyway's Avatar
    GMT +1 Germany, North
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This forums got me into Doctor Who (and Midori and some Films and some Books and Shoes and... you get the picture). And now I am a fan though I have to say I always have a hard time adjusting to a new Doctor. We just started on Peter Capaldi and I am not hooked jet. But we only saw one episode with him and it took me about 10 to warm up to Matt Smith.

Ilkyway
    “Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it in the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it so long as it was there.”

By Sir Terence David John Pratchett from The Truth

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @ilkyway, my friend had a difficult time adjusting after the Ninth Doctor...then she fell in love with David Tennant!

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ladyinblack1964 View Post
    @ilkyway, my friend had a difficult time adjusting after the Ninth Doctor...then she fell in love with David Tennant!
    @ladyinblack, David Tennant and Tom Baker top the list as the all-time most popular Doctors. My link references a post in the earlier thread where @Ilkyway was first introduced to Dr. Who episodes, along with assorted Dr. Who trivia about the characters.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @moriond, Tom Baker is the doctor I remember from past episodes, when our local PBS station used to air Classic Doctor Who. I don't remember much about the show then, but I think he's cute and cuddly!

Oxfordshire, United Kingdom
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I like Peter Capaldi because he reminds me of the older Doctors like Jon Pertwee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's funny...the other day my husband read somewhere online that some people don't like Peter Capaldi because he is "too old." I can only guess they are very young people. I think he also read that the target audience is 16-25 for the show. It seems to me that many fans of Classic would be fans of the reboot.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So here is an update: I just finished the David Tennant episodes (swoon!) and am about to start with Matt Smith. I really, really hope I like him! I will miss the Tenth Doctor.

North of the TB Mothership
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bow ties are cool! But Tom Baker will always be my doctor.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast