Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Traveling to Seattle and Portland - need restaurant advise

I'm off to the west coast for the first time in two weeks. Specifically I'll be visiting Seattle and Portland. Can anyone from there or who has visited there give any advise on some good restaurants to visit? I'll eat anything as long as it is excellent and locally owned. I will avoid corporate restaurants if possible. A visit to the factory is certainly proposed.
    Thanks so much.

Eire

Alexandria, VA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All in Seattle: Ezell's Famous Chicken, Yazuko's teriyaki, Red Mill Burgers, Racha thai on Queen Anne.
    [2004] Brain Bag (w/Lg. A45 Packing Cube, Q-kit & 2 Brain cells) ___________________________________________ "Be excellent to each other."
    - [2010] Aeronaut45 (w/Absolute, 1lg/2sm Packing Cubes, Travel Tray PCSB, Passport Pouch & 3D clear cube)
    - - [2013] Co-Pilot (w/S.O.S. strap, Cache, Clear Org wallet, 3D mesh cube, whistle, Sm. COP's & Q-kit)
    - - - [2015] Tristar (traded for A30)
    - - - - [2016] ID, Aeronaut30 (w/Absolute & Lg. Aether cube), Side Effect

Northern California
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Andina in Portland is a MUST-VISIT! You will absolutely love it.

Kansas City, MO
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RN74 in Seattle is AMAZING. Definitely worth a visit.
    Best French Restaurant Seattle | RN74 | Seattle French Cuisine

Michigan, USA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're a coffee drinker, be sure to check out Stumptown Coffee. When I visited the PNW last fall, I became enamored with their cold brew.
    kindness is contagious.

Volunteer Moderator Alumni Ilkyway's Avatar
    GMT +1 Germany, North
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have one must visit for you in Seattle: There is this fantastic Bag Shop called Tom Bihn. I am absolutely sure you will love it there, even so I have not been there myself jet.

Ilkyway
    “Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it in the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it so long as it was there.”

By Sir Terence David John Pratchett from The Truth

Forum Member
    Colorado
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1 for Stumptown Coffee

Forum Member
    Seattle
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Coconut cream pie at the Dahlia Lounge in Seattle. The fresh doughnuts there are also excellent. (You can also get the same desserts at Lola across the street.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you all for these great ideas. I now have a good selection to try.

Eire

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Without knowing your budget or tastes, it's hard to make a good recommendation. Both Portland and Seattle are great eating towns--you won't need to worry about corporate chain restaurants here, there's a wealth of great local choices. Both Portland and Seattle have lots of 'food trucks' that serve fantastic lunch food for reasonable prices. If you're out and about and just want a quick lunch rather than a sit down lunch, give them a try.

You can get specific info on food trucks and all other eating questions on Food and Recipe Forums - Chowhound. Just search for Seattle and Portland and you'll find detailed threads on the best teriyaki joints, the best upscale dining, the best pizza, the best you-name-it, as well as how to find the food trucks this week, since times and locations tend to change a lot.

Have fun and happy eating!
    Western Flyer (crimsom) with Absolute strap, Zephyr (black), Medium Cafe Bag (steel/olive), Shop Bags (solar, steel), Large Cafe bag (navy/cayenne), Small café bag (forest), Tristars (steel/solar and indigo/solar),Aeronaut (steel), Side Effects (old skool black cordura, olive parapack), Imagos (steel, cork, wasabi, and aubergine, hemp, steel), Dyneema Western Flyer (Nordic/Steel) and miscellaneous packing cubes, pouches, etc.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When/if you visit Pike Place Market in Seattle (assuming that's on your list if you're interested in food!), I highly recommend Pike Place Chowder and Piroshky Piroshky. Both are soooo good (and very reasonably priced). I also really like Long Provincial for very tasty Vietnamese food downtown (great atmosphere, overwhelmingly long menu (just order something - it's all good!), and surprisingly cheap for the location/quality). If you head to the International District, there are tons of places to get good, cheap Asian food - Phnom Penh Noodle House is one good option, for very tasty Cambodian food (something you can't find just anywhere!), if you like spicy, then definitely try out the house-made hot sauce they have on the table, it's not just chilies (although it is quite spicy), it has a ton of other complex savory flavors going on. There's also Il Corvo Pasta (lunch only, I think) in Pioneer Square for unbeatable fresh pasta (usually a line, but it moves fast and it's worth it). I could go on, but I'll leave it at that for now - but definitely let me know if you think you'll be hitting up some of the neighborhoods north of Lake Union because I also have a *lot* of recommendations for Fremont, Wallingford, and the University District.

Forum Member
    Colorado
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We went to Ray's Boathouse and Café, Pikes Place Chowder, Paseo, Marination, Lola, Dick's Drive In, Li'l Woodys, Molly Moon's Homemade Ice Cream, Maximus/Minimus, Dahlia Lounge and the Tom Bihn Store.

Matthew and Hannah told us about most of these places to eat when we were at the TB store.

Forum Member
    Seattle, WA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One suggestion is to consider a tour like the Savor Seattle Food Tours where you try samples at several of these recommended spots at Pike Place like Pike Place Chowder, Pirosky Piroshky, Beecher's Cheese, and many others. And if they don't stop there, Ellenos Greek Yogurt in Pike Place is a great treat - the marionberry is delicious. If you have a specific type of food you are interested in folks may have some more specific recommendations.
    Last edited by NWhikergal; 04-08-2015 at 07:21 PM.
    "Do one thing every day that scares you." - Eleanor Roosevelt
    "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." -Ferris Bueller

Forum Member
    Texas
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    More details help! (For instance, are you vegetarian, are you adventurous, are you more forgiving or more picky, do you drink coffee?)

There are lots of great places in Seattle's International District, and several great (IMO) Ethiopian places, esp. on Cherry St in the Central District and in that vicinity. (With Ethiopian, it seems like everyone has a favorite dish, and sometimes it's better at one place than another, making for complicated rankings Wink)

I like teriyaki; easy to find. At Shanghai Garden in the ID, I am drawn there for just one thing: shaved green barley noodles with shrimp. I could eat far more of them than would be healthy. Seattle's not a big pizza town, but there are a few places with decent New York style slices.

Michigan, USA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1 for the Savor Seattle Food Tour through Pike Place!
    kindness is contagious.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast