Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Regarding travel but not travel bags

At the risk of sounding like a complete idiot, can I just say how the Internet is opening a whole new travel world up for me?

I'm just sort of surfing around, reading different forums, and I just found out there is a Whole Foods in Kensington. I have a lot of dietary restrictions, and knowing there's WF in England is so helpful. It's just SUCH a different world than the last time I traveled internationally (1987).

I am trying to convince my mom to visit a friend of hers who lives in Sicily. She is terribly anxious about food (she also has dietary issues), having stamina (she seems to think one must be able to walk for hours on end in a foreign country), and having a 16-hour plane ride (I keep telling her she can sleep on the plane). I am hoping to go with her, though I have this funny feeling she's not going to do it after all. I don't want her to miss out on a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, yet I don't want to push her into it.

Anyway, as I was saying, I'm really glad that there is so much to read out there on the web! I think it will make things a lot easier when I do get the opportunity to travel.

Wisconsin
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just got back from London. The Borough Market has wonderful organic and slow food options. They also have many fresh juice places and Pret A Manger is a very healthy "fast food" option. You can get whole foods, and decent premade options with ingredients clearly labeled. They also have organic coffee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It must be very different from when I was there, in '84, '86 and '87. At the time, I was not a vegetarian, but my English pen-pals were actually the first vegetarians I ever met! Seems incredible now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has your mom traveled much in her own country? Because if she's only been on short trips, maybe see if you can convince her to try something just a little bit out of her comfort zone first. Travel is exhausting, especially if it's not your usual activity.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ladyinblack1964 View Post
    At the risk of sounding like a complete idiot, can I just say how the Internet is opening a whole new travel world up for me?
    I couldn't agree more!
    The ability to research ahead has changed the way I travel, and made me confident enough to try more solo trips to interesting places. There is so much that has improved about being a tourist:

* Being able to read Tripadvisor reviews (though with some common sense and skepticism), to find great out-of-the-way places to stay at that are not listed in any guidebook.

* And airbnb! I've gone to places I could never have afforded if it meant a $200/night hotel.

* Putting a local SIM card in my phone and being able to Google directions for getting around new cities using buses. And never being lost, or having to carry paper maps.

* Tracking my credit and debit accounts live. And not having to use traveler's checks, which were a pain.

* Planning a very precise itinerary ahead of the trip, so I can maximize each day once I'm there. It helps to know when museums are open, and how long it will take to get from place to place. I find this very liberating. There is still plenty of surprises and spontaneity, but less wasted time.

* Being able to stay in touch with worried friends and relatives on Facebook. My mom confessed recently that she doesn't care what I write exactly; it's just nice for her to know that I'm still alive Smilie

Anyway, @ladyinblack1964, you can do trip planning that takes some of the edge off the "unknown" of venturing into a new place. Like showing your mom the transportation options in Sicily and pulling up restaurant and grocery store options. I also agree that short trips can make her more confident about traveling!
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, this is embarrassing because I never visited Whole Foods during my 4 years in the US, but-- the last time we were in England, we stayed in Kensington right up the hill from the WF. It's great. My visit there was my very first WF trip. They have two storeys of stuff, a nice florist, and I didn't think the prices were that crazy given the location. Also, while that is the posh "empty Russian oligarch houses" part of Kensington, it's classy without being uppity.

Seconding the PAM rec, too.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by adalangdon View Post
    Okay, this is embarrassing because I never visited Whole Foods during my 4 years in the US
    It's possible you visited without knowing. In Boston there was Bread and Circus that is the same as WF. I find they have good prices on some stuff and a good selection of allergy-friendly foods. We get almost all our produce at a farmer's market but rely on WF for some pantry goods and fridge items plus milk. Also they have a great policy of allowing customers to try any product in the store - just ask if you are unsure how something tastes, and they will open one up for you. I hope they are able to use up the rest of the pack somehow.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @binje--My mom has traveled to many places in the United States (including Hawaii, the Grand Canyon and the Pacific Northwest), Canada, taken a cruise to St. Thomas and the Virgin Islands, and gone to Costa Rica. Never anywhere "overseas," however.

@bchaplin, I don't even know what a local SIM card is and what it does. I don't have a smartphone,if it has s/thing to do with that. I've also only just recently heard of airbnb and will look into that.

My mom isn't very internet-savvy, so if *I* am just learning this stuff, she probably is too. I probably need to spend an afternoon with her and we can go over some stuff together.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With that list, I think your mom is making excuses Smilie - it sounds like she's actually done more than a lil' ol' trip to Italy would demand.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @binje, Granted, some of those trips were a few years ago, but I agree with you that she's just making excuses. Especially since she's talking about driving across the U.S. with her new BF to visit a mutual friend. (This, after telling me a few years ago she was NEVER going to drive anywhere on a long trip again, just b/c I took ONE wrong turn on the way back from the Jersey Shore.) Sometimes she is contradictory and infuriating.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think all older moms should be locked in a VW bug and forced to travel together. Just saying!