Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Wisconsin
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with Frank II as well after reading your second post!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

La Mesa (San Diego), California
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You did say road trip? How long will you be in a vehicle with them?

Also, maybe get your own room...that way you can get away when you need to and have your own privacy.

I have grown kids, but even I don't want to be with my own kids 7/24 while on vacation.
    🐝➰

Oxfordshire, United Kingdom
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree that your clarification changes things.
    Sometimes when we ask a question we already know, possibly subconsciously, what we would like the answer to be. Since you came back to all the positive responses with more reasons not to go, then I'd say your mind is already made up and you shouldn't do something you really don't want to do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, I'll chime in here. I'm a member of a large, very dysfunctional family. I have 5 siblings, and for the most part, we don't like each other. I'm the only unmarried one and have tried very hard to develop a relationship with them, to no avail. The names I've been called are too disgusting (and that says something since I've been known to use the F word). I have 12 nieces/nephews, 3 of whom are married. Everyone in my family lives 15 minutes away, and seldom see my mom, their grandmother/mother/in law. The same when Dad was alive.

So, it all comes down to: do you want a relationship with these relatives? Is it possible that on a vacation your niece/nephew will behave differently? Those are questions i'd ask myself. I have a good relationship with one niece and one nephew (brother and sister), and a little relationship with another nephew because he and his wife have a baby. The rest - I don't try anymore and on an emotional level will never trust them. I would travel with my niece and nephew (bro/sister). Bit not the rest.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @nukediver, Ocean City.
    @melissa, About a five-hour drive, I think. I can't afford my own room (the rooms are more than $300 a night--yowza!)
    @ceepee, What you say makes a lot of sense. I have a lot of mixed feelings about the whole thing.
    @marytattoo, I'm sorry. Families can be such a pain sometimes. I do love my family, but we just don't hang out together. No special reason. They do live a little distance from me (but not terribly far) but really, I only see them on holidays, birthdays, Mother's Day, etc.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Getting along with family is like getting along with anyone else - it takes effort. Just because you are related doesn't mean that you have to get along.

How is your relationship with your sister? Does she understand your strained relationship with her kids? Do you want to improve the relationship? Does your sister want your relationship to improve? Do you care?

I come from a very small family and married into a huge one. It takes lots of effort during "family" events to build rapport with people I only see a few times a year. It is even harder with the gazillion teenagers that are mostly interested in doing their own thing and hanging out together.

How much effort do you want to put into bonding with the kids?
    When in trouble, obfuscate.

Forum Member
    Upstate New York
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As ceb just said--it depends on how much interest you have in trying to bond with the kids. They sound like typical teenagers, from your description of them. I am in a similar situation to you--childless and not all that comfortable around kids. My relationship with my nieces and nephews ranges from non-existant to slight (they grew up in other states). I have always felt bad, however, that I don't have more of a relationship with them. Since you will be staying at the shore you can always skip out to the beach if they get too annoying. You many not end up seeing them all that much (they may be the ones to flee to the beach!) So my useless two cents is--take the trip and see how things go.

NJ
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ladyinblack1964 View Post
    @nukediver, Ocean City.
    @melissa, About a five-hour drive, I think. I can't afford my own room (the rooms are more than $300 a night--yowza!)
    @ceepee, What you say makes a lot of sense. I have a lot of mixed feelings about the whole thing.
    @marytattoo, I'm sorry. Families can be such a pain sometimes. I do love my family, but we just don't hang out together. No special reason. They do live a little distance from me (but not terribly far) but really, I only see them on holidays, birthdays, Mother's Day, etc.
    Ocean City is AWESOME for families. The beach is great, but what really sets it apart is the boardwalk. There's so much to do - mini golf, shopping, arcades, and FOOD.

La Mesa (San Diego), California
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ladyinblack1964 View Post
    @nukediver, Ocean City.
    Yeah.....I gotta admit you'd have lost me just at the thought of being on a car with that many people in it for 5 hours. It seems rather selfish of me, but I also know my limits for toleration.
    🐝➰

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2