Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alternative to Rockports

For over 20 years, I've been wearing Rockport Dress Shoes for my travels. Comfortable, durable, looks good both casual and dressy.

But I'm thinking.....maybe it's time to try something new. I can always go back to Rockports but sometimes change is good.

I need:
    Black, dressy looking walking shoes
    Very comfortable--almost like wearing sneakers (That's what I like about Rockports.)
    Wide foot and toebox
    Good, grippy sole
    prefer laces

Suggestions on brands and models?

Since my travels will be extended, I'm also looking for a possible second pair--very lightweight, black, doesn't need to be as dressy, packs tight, to be worn in the shoulder season in Europe.
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2 brands to consider - Keen (check zappos; many are sandal-type but they do have shoes but don't know how dressy you need), and Finn. Finns are EXPENSIVE but are handmade in Germany and are very very comfortable. When the support bed wears down it can be replaced at a fraction of the cost of the shoe, meaning many years of wear. Imo they are worth it. I have a high end shoe store near me and never thought I'd buy a pair because of the expense. But last year there was a pair on clearance (they seldom go on sale) and they were so cool. I bought them. I've found 2 more pairs on sale and had coupons too. I felt I spent a lot on name brand purses, so I had no excuses on the shoes, and tried the Finns.

Both brands are very comfortable.

Wisconsin
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sure you'll get plenty of the male perspective, but my 2 cents... I'm a fan of the Timberland Earthkeepers series. They have a lot of really good looking men's shoes. I wore a pair of Chelsea boots all over London. Add a little waterproofing spray (though some are waterproof) and they clean up really well and work in the rain. I also love Campers for a more casual style. They are more Euro hip and incredibly comfortable. Friends who own the men's shoes have also indicated comfort.

Toronto, Canada (GMT+5)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I swear by Ecco dress shoes with the red dot shockpoint on the heels. It is the only dress shoes that I have found to keep my feet comfortable for a whole day of walking - and they last for many years. I am just replacing the ones I bought in 2005 and have been using every work day (I rotate 2 pairs). They are light and I truly do not feel them on when I wear them. I usually need significant arch support for my shoes but I have not needed them for my Ecco shoes - and that is saying something about the ergonomics of the shoe design. I have had Rockport (Dress and boots), Dr. Martin, Clark and Mephisto - supposed to be the gold standard for shoe comfort and the Ecco shoes beat them all. Also, the uppers last and do not look aged even after 10 years.

My Ecco dress shoes are light, ergonomic and long lasting - perfect for low maintenance, comfortable and classic business shoes.

Hope this helps
    Cheers!
    Last edited by tpnl; 05-05-2015 at 10:17 PM.
    TB Ballistic Black/Iberian Dyneema backpacks and briefcases for every occasion together with my cherished Nordic and Solar Dyneema!

MA USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like "barefoot" shoes (but they are not for everyone) so I recommend Vivobarefoot or Soft Star Shoes. They pack super small, have a wide toe box and come in black. They may not be the warmest shoes for everyone (I run warm so I like the cool off) but they are generally made well and are super comfortable IMHO, YMMV.

cave of caerbannog
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brooks Addiction - awesome for wide feet.
    never skate faster than your guardian angel can fly....black and gold til I'm dead and cold....
    be nice - until it's time to not be nice.......what separates us from the animals is our ability to accessorize...

Forum Member
    Costa Rica
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ahh, Frank II. Why mess with a good thing? I am about to embark on a 2.5 week work-pleasure whirlwind of Europe with Rockports as my main dress and walking shoe. If I want to dress down and lighten up, I have a pair of really lightweight New Balance Minimus running shoes that weigh little and squish almost flat.

But, I admire your spirit of adventure.