Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Forum Member
    New York City
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I might have the opposite problem, though I technically skew a bit on the shorter end of the spectrum. I find many Ibex shirts to be a tad short for me. I'm 5'4", long-waisted with a bit of cookie dough around the midsection, and I'm a 32D bust, which often causes shirts to ride up. I find that in styles that run small, I have to go up a size in Ibex, to a large, and the length is better for me.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I forgot to mention Uniqlo - their clothes tend to be cut relatively small (at least in Europe) and they carry merino, cashmere and down. Check out the fall collection when it comes online.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you like your T-shirts not tucked in try this

Ask a good alterations place to cut the shirt about 4 inches off the bottom. Then, sew it back together minus however many inches it needed to be shortened. Two reasons: the twin needle factory stitch is retained at the hem plus it then looks like a basque hem which is meant to be worn untucked. Hope this helps, if unclear just let me know and I'll find some photos (I'm in the rag trade)

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bijoux, I'd love to see a pic or two of what you're describing.
    I'm not short at all but am definitely short-waisted and frequently want to have my tops taken up a bit in the torso.

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    @sturbridge and Others,

On the topic of sources for petite size clothing, I was reminded of @Vecturist's Post from a year ago that mentioned a couple of blog web sites that she found useful:

Quote Originally Posted by Vecturist View Post
    Aeon - I feel your pain - I'm 5', 115 or so (one of my guy friends likes to call me pocket-size), but I need to hem pants even when they're petite-length. My feet are small enough I can still buy shoes in the kids' dept., which is both good and bad. Luckily as a grad student/scientist I don't need too fancy a wardrobe - jeans, tshirt, and a white lab coat. Two blogs I discovered are: Extra Petite | Petite Fashion, Style Tips and DIY and Alterations Needed - Personal Style and Fashion Blog. Some of the clothing and accessories are fancier (and pricier) than I would ever wear, but there's also some good basic info as far as finding skirt lengths and picking out flattering jeans.
    Not on the subject of merino T-shirt lengths, but I found the May 13 Extra Petite blog post of interest with its link to the Ann Taylor knee-length skirt version of the Black and white petite mitered full stripe skirt (on sale at 40% off), related to the maxi dress shown in the blog photos. This was actually the right length, and a comfortable, flattering fit, though I'm at the taller end of people posting in this thread at 5' 3.5"/161 cm. They have this in petite sizes from XXS to XL (as well as regular sizes), and the machine washable rayon fabric feels comfortable in weight for wrinkle-resistant traveling.

Like NWHikergal, I've generally had more success with Ibex sizing running true to size. My favorite fabric for tee shirts, the Ibex seventeen.5 line, runs long. They shortened the length in the 2015 models as well as adding a slight vee to the neckline, but the change likely won't be enough to help posters in this thread. BTW, the change in length doesn't seem to have gone up on their web site description yet.

HTH. There may be a few other blog sites mentioned if you tap the arrow beside @Vecturist's quoted post (#50 in Frank II's interview over at Carryology) to navigate back to the original thread. The thread subject had shifted to a discussion of minimalism at that point.

moriond

Forum Member
    Seattle, WA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a quick plug to revive this thread...I recently purchased an Ibex hooded indie in midnight (love this color) and in honeydew (totally reminds me of wasabi) on sale, and they fit me very well as a shortwaisted person. Women's Hooded Indie The current Ibex woolie tops seem to run very long on me, so this was a nice surprise, as the Indie fit true to size for me and is not too long, and it is a very nice light weight. Ibex just started their winter sale, just in case anyone is interested.
    "Do one thing every day that scares you." - Eleanor Roosevelt
    "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." -Ferris Bueller

Forum Member
    United States
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have some Ibex tees that are borderline too short for my liking on a 5'5" frame.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NWhikergal View Post
    Just a quick plug to revive this thread...I recently purchased an Ibex hooded indie in midnight (love this color) and in honeydew (totally reminds me of wasabi) on sale, and they fit me very well as a shortwaisted person. Women's Hooded Indie The current Ibex woolie tops seem to run very long on me, so this was a nice surprise, as the Indie fit true to size for me and is not too long, and it is a very nice light weight. Ibex just started their winter sale, just in case anyone is interested.
    I just ordered a couple different sizes of the Indie, since they are on sale. I have Ibex things in both S and M: seems like I have a similar shape/fit experience as Ginkgo's - except that I am only 5' - re: Ibex, in that they end up a bit short on me. (Icebreaker is more consistently flattering for me.) Anyhoo, looking forward to seeing what fits! (Alas, the kohlrabi/purple tops were not on sale yet.)
    Last edited by haraya; 02-02-2016 at 01:33 PM.

Forum Member
    Upstate New York
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd happily take any too-long merino wool top if they would just carry my size. Most top out at size 16, which is a large size in most stores but is considered an XL in the outdoor clothing lines. I need a size 18.... Am considering just getting a man's shirt, but not sure how my sizing would work in men's sizing.

I had to buy a man's XL for a down jacket (female here), and I gotta tell you, I see plenty of men way larger around than me, so I have no idea what those folks do.
    Last edited by Yokosmom; 02-02-2016 at 01:33 PM.
    Owner of Aeronaut 45, Aubergine/Wasabi; MCB, Plum; Travel Trays, Wasabi, NW Sky & Zest; PCSB, Iberian; PCBP, Steel, black dyneema CP & Pilot

Wisconsin
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @NWhikergal, what size are you? I think I'm a size bigger than you and want to choose the right size.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yokosmom View Post
    I'd happily take any too-long merino wool top if they would just carry my size. Most top out at size 16, which is a large size in most stores but is considered an XL in the outdoor clothing lines. I need a size 18.... Am considering just getting a man's shirt, but not sure how my sizing would work in men's sizing.

I had to buy a man's XL for a down jacket (female here), and I gotta tell you, I see plenty of men way larger around than me, so I have no idea what those folks do.
    I could've sworn there was a thread where this question came up previously. If I recall, the general response was that it was still hard to find XL and up sizes from the merino specialty brands, but that looking for merino items from regular (i.e. not specifically activewear) brands was a good strategy.

I am not familiar with the sizing, but here's a Pendleton women's turtleneck, and here's a TravelSmith open-front vest with styling similar to Icebreaker's Bliss wrap.
    Last edited by haraya; 02-02-2016 at 02:33 PM.

Forum Member
    Seattle, WA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pokilani View Post
    @NWhikergal, what size are you? I think I'm a size bigger than you and want to choose the right size.
    I wear a size small in the Indie. I do have one of their Woolie tops that I use for sleep, but I purchased that in medium, since it is one of those super long and skinny tops on me. In women's tops I normally wear about a 4 petite.
    "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." -Ferris Bueller

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Ibex has Kohlrabi items on sale in some styles

Quote Originally Posted by haraya View Post
    (Alas, the kohlrabi/purple tops were not on sale yet.)
    @haraya. There are kohlrabi tops on sale in some product lines (Carrie Vest, Bouclé Hoody, Seventeen.5 funnel Neck, Seventeen.5 Felicia shirt). The shirts are long sleeve. The Bouclé Hoody design didn't get good review. The seventeen.5 tee that I have in Kohlrabi was from their pre-Black Friday Sale in November, when the short sleeve options were still around. These should show up again for their Spring/Summer line up (and hopefully go on sale again at the end of summer).

I'm bad at catching things up on the web site, so my secret strategy when things sell out in the size I want on the web site is call directly to their Seattle Store and ask if it's in stock there. They apply the sale prices, and it often comes faster (to Hawaii, at least).

Quote Originally Posted by Pokilani View Post
    @Pokilani, I usually also wear small in Ibex products, and I think I'm a size larger than @NWHikergal (usually size 6 Petite in tops rather than size 4). It probably depends on the item's fit style, too (usually my tops were semi-fitted). I also find that Ibex usually runs true to size for me, and that Icebreaker can be long-waisted on me in the styles I've tried, but is just more variable.

Not directly for the specific topic of tops, but I was very surprised to find out that the Ibex dresses can fit people in our height range.There's a separate forum thread about that topic, and @ClaireJ posted about getting the Costa Azul dress last Spring/Summer. (The skirt of the Costa Azul is short enough to fall flatteringly; I don't generally wear that sort of tank top neckline, though.) She also got the Cascade Cardigan with that dress (another lighter weight style that should show up again in a few months), and I really like that item (got this Black S), which I totally overlooked on the web pages, because they don't display it well. That was another case where I ended up calling the Seattle Ibex store to find color combinations and sizes still in stock.

HTH

moriond

ETA: I should also have added that I like the Ibex Overdyed Heather Trinity shirt that is currently on sale. This is the first long-sleeved merino wool shirt I've gotten, and I'm surprised by how comfortable the soft wool is in this style. I've tried both the Ciara and the OD Noe shirts in the short sleeve styles, since I use shorter sleeve lengths more. The styling and construction of the yoke and placket is among the best I've seen among these shirts. For example, I can't imagine that the issues one forum member of having the fabric around the buttons twist and warp after washing would apply to this style. The darts in front are nicely done, and make the fall of the shirt and its fit flattering.

I imagine that more people will be interested in the Hooded Indie that @NWHikergal posted about than the OD Heather Trinity Shirt, but the OD Heather Trinity works very well as a classically designed, long sleeve shirt that is extremely comfortable to wear. A couple of comments: because this is a "regular fit", it will feel looser than what you're used to if you generally get more form-fitting styles. Again, because of the regular fit, sleeve length runs a bit longer. I'm 5'3.5" (161 cm) tall, and the bottom edge of the sleeve cuff, if I pull it out, just hits the middle of my palm. If you care about this, turning the cuff over will make the length exactly fit, and looks fine, because both the stitching on the cuff ends, and the fact that they run the Heather pattern vertically for the cuff (nice touch), makes this work. It also looks fine if I don't turn the cuff over, because of the looser styling. I still got the size S (Yukon Sky Heather). I think the color on the web site (seen on a few different devices and screens) looks a little darker (or maybe this just looks lighter when seen against an Aubergine bag.). Anyway, I really like this shirt, so I thought I'd give details (even if it's not the spectacular Kohlrabi color.)
    Last edited by moriond; 02-03-2016 at 10:32 AM. Reason: Added title

Wisconsin
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    @Pokilani, I usually also wear small in Ibex products, and I think I'm a size larger than @NWHikergal (usually size 6 Petite in tops rather than size 4). It probably depends on the item's fit style, too (usually my tops were semi-fitted). I also find that Ibex usually runs true to size for me, and that Icebreaker can be long-waisted on me in the styles I've tried, but is just more variable.
    I do have one Ibex shirt that is a size small and fits well, but when I see pics of @NWhikergal, I can definitely see that I am bigger than she. This always makes me think I'm a size bigger, especially since I have gained a little weight.

Forum Member
    Seattle, WA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Merino wool for short people?

@Pokilani, I will post some photos of three different Ibex shirts, all size small, that I have, to see if that helps. The first is the hooded Indie, the second is a 17.5 Felicia, and the third is one of their short sleeved shirts, but I am blanking on the name. The Felicia is a lot longer than my preference and I think would look better on a taller skinny person, but I love the Indie and the short sleeved v-neck t-shirts that Ibex makes. If it makes you feel better, I inhaled and thought skinny thoughts before taking the photos, since I have eaten very well lately, and I seem to be postponing my marathon training.

Last edited by NWhikergal; 02-03-2016 at 07:57 PM.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast