Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

NY Senator call on airlines to scrap new carry on proposal

Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

Forum Member
    Washington, DC
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm glad to see this public statement by a government official to shine some light on this issue. U.S. airlines act at times like roaches--scurrying out of sight as soon as the light is turned on--so this is probably all it will take for them to back off. It really is a ridiculous proposal--as many have said, if they would just enforce the current rules none of this would be necessary.

Hampshire, UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really don't see why everyone is up in arms about this. Yes there is clearly a lack of airlines enforcing current rules which breeds frustration. However, what about the benefits of standardising?
    - Consumer confidence in carry on sizes as they shop between airlines.
    - Greater efficiency in getting carry on baggage on/off (I.e. less delays in transit).
    - Easier job for airlines to enforce carry on as most customers will be 'standard' by default. They can then more effectively manage the exceptions.

Some have called this business 'greed' (and I agree that some airlines are really squeezing every last penny) but this just sounds like good business practice to me.

The easier they can do their jobs, the less money it costs them to do it, therefore, the cheaper the ticket price. Assuming they don't just pocket the savings, it's a win win for all.

I'm all for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Aeronaut 45 (Navy/NWS), A30 (Black/Island), Tristar (Steel/Island), Western Flyer (Steel/Island), Pilot (Steel/Island), Synapse 25 (Mars Red/NWS), Synapse 19 (Black/Island) & (Burnt Orange/Steel), Ristretto 11 (Navy/Steel), Small Cafe Bag (Navy/Steel) & (Mars Red/Dawn), Daylight Briefcase (Cloud/Dawn), Side Kick (Mars Red/Dawn), Travel Cubelet (Mars Red)

Forum Member
    Washington, DC
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perseffect, I agree that standardization is good. I don't see how this new move is any different than current practice (meaning that the majority of airlines agree that a carry-on should be no larger than 22", etc.). If the reasoning is to allow more bags to fit into overheads, then enforcing current rules would achieve that, in most cases.

In my view, however, this is just a current recommendation. If this is instituted (or not), in time something else will be put forth as the new 'best' practice as nothing is static. Only thing in life that is constant is change and all that. We'll see how this develops...

Wisconsin
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think standardization is helpful. The problem is lack of consistency in enforcing those standards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The city of waffles and good chocolates
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi guys,

I don't see why people make so much fuss about that. I travel a lot (I mean a lot...) and I'm tired of people trying to stuff pieces of luggage that should never have entered the main cabin in the first place. The Aeronaut 45 is my carry-on, it's not overstuffed so it fits the new limits. I'm tired to see my aeronaut crushed by all those huge hard/wheeled luggages, I'm tired to answer stupid requests like "could you put your carry-on under the seat in front of you so I can put my (oversized) bag in the overhead bin??"!!!

I wish the Airlines would strictly enforce their carry-on size Policy in the first place! If you want to schlep a half ton with you, I have no problem with that, but those huge bags have to be checked-in.

And I don't even talk about "personal items": some of them are like a small suitcase...! Most of the people really have no limits, once it's "free allowance"

All the fuss about the new carry-on limits are mostly made by people that simply do not want to pay for checking their luggages...
    Most of the TB carry-ons (A45, A30, Tristar...) do fit the new limits as they are soft bags (well if they're not overstuffed of course).

So I fully agree with Perseffect!
    Last edited by Poker Face; 06-14-2015 at 01:31 PM.
    Big fan of Nordic dyneema (aeronaut, PCSB, PCBP, TT, LSB, SSB, SE, SCB, MCB, co-pilot, synapse 19). OK, so where am I going to put all that stuff...

Sweden
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The airlines should make passengers follow the rules to start with. But today when schedules are so tight they dont take the time and I think the staff dont want the agro.
    I have been asked twice by people to remove my Western Flyer from the bin. They think that because they brought huge bags everyone else should suffer. I told them that my bag stays where it is. One woman got really angry until she realized the Western Flyer wasnt my personal item. I say, enforce the rules, so the passengers who follow them dont feel cheated.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Poker Face View Post
    I wish the Airlines would strictly enforce their carry-on size Policy in the first place! If you want to schlep a half ton with you, I have no problem with that, but those huge bags have to be checked-in.
    So agree with this! Those of us with the TB soft sided bags really do not need to worry. It would be more equitable for everyone if there were enforced size limits, and if the early boarders were prevented from placing 2 or 3 items in the overheads, as I see happen all the time. That said, I'll be very surprised if anything regarding these new guidelines effects flights within the U.S., but it would actually be better if there were two categories of carryon's: (1) small enough to be guaranteed overhead space, and (2) allowable but liable for gate-checking if the flight is full.

On my last AA flight from Boston to Miami, someone with a huge roller decided it would be ok to shove it into a space that was not large enough, crushing my little Aeronaut 30. I had to stand up and protest, and the roller was moved to a location across the aisle.

I do not usually have this problem on my international flights, at least for Europe and Brazil. People seem to have smaller bags and to be more considerate. From what I have seen in Europe most people's bags already fit the new standards.
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Poker Face View Post
    Hi guys,

I don't see why people make so much fuss about that. I travel a lot (I mean a lot...) and I'm tired of people trying to stuff pieces of luggage that should never have entered the main cabin in the first place. The Aeronaut 45 is my carry-on, it's not overstuffed so it fits the new limits. I'm tired to see my aeronaut crushed by all those huge hard/wheeled luggages, I'm tired to answers stupid requests like "could you put your carry-on Under the seat in front of you so I can put my (oversize) bag in the overhead bin??"!!!

And I don't even talk about "personal items": some of them are like a small suitcases...! Most of the people really have no limits, once it's "free allowance"

All the fuss about the new carry-on limits are mostly made by people that simply do not want to pay for checking their luggages...
    Most of the TB carry-ons (A45, A30, Tristar...) do fit the new limits as they are soft bags (well if they're not overstuffed of course).

So I fully agree with Perseffect!
    I don't travel a lot, but what I have seen is that the current size restrictions work perfectly well with soft sided luggage, but usually disqualify the majority of hard sided rolling luggage.

And here is the rub, those are made by well known name brand and usually sold as sets in department stores and shopping channels.
    Those sets are last century travel style with usually a humongous wheelie destined to be checked and one or two other smaller wheelies and a cosmetic case.
    Using all 3 wheelies or just two was perfectly fine until airlines started to charge for checked luggage.

Now, passengers, who, for some reason, do not want to use soft sided carryons are trying to bully access to the overhead for their hard sided, obviously oversized luggage, sometimes adding a shopping bag and in winter their heavy coats.

Those are the type of passengers and their luggage that the airlines agents need to discipline but they don't.

Note that I haven't mentioned wheels, but, all of those hard sided suitcases needs them, they are too heavy to transport otherwise.

I understand the need for some to use wheelies, but, there is a difference between soft sided and hard sided luggage.

On one trip, I we had to wait at the gate for quite some times and were seated next to the bag sizer, just for fun, I placed our Aeronaute and Tristar which fitted with no problem.
    Sometimes later, a man with a had sided, very small wheelie (sized somewhat between a Western Flyer and a Pilot). He tried to fit it in the sizer but due to the wheel placed in the four corners of the case, some facing out, it could not fit, he swiftly removed it and went on to the check in line.

Flight crews carry soft sided wheelies, sometimes oversized.

The solution would be to post one airline agent right at the sizer and enforce the existing rules for everyone.

Wheelies now, have recessed wheels under the bottom of the bags which alleviate the difficulty of fitting them in the sizer.

It would help if airlines personnel applied some common sense by allowing seniors, parents, people with limited mobility and special health needs to keep the wheelies while making sure that very fit and strong adults have to check it.

The rules need to apply to them, even if they are "high maintenance" gals and guys, whose idea of packing is to throw their whole wardrobe in one of those monsters, and, get manipulative by turning on the charm then get upset like toddlers or congress, when they are told to get with the program.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    I don't travel a lot, but what I have seen is that the current size restrictions work perfectly well with soft sided luggage, but usually disqualify the majority of hard sided rolling luggage.

And here is the rub, those are made by well known name brand and usually sold as sets in department stores and shopping channels.
    Those sets are last century travel style with usually a humongous wheelie destined to be checked and one or two other smaller wheelies and a cosmetic case.
    Using all 3 wheelies or just two was perfectly fine until airlines started to charge for checked luggage.

Now, passengers, who, for some reason, do not want to use soft sided carryons are trying to bully access to the overhead for their hard sided, obviously oversized luggage, sometimes adding a shopping bag and in winter their heavy coats.

Those are the type of passengers and their luggage that the airlines agents need to discipline but they don't.

Note that I haven't mentioned wheels, but, all of those hard sided suitcases needs them, they are too heavy to transport otherwise.

I understand the need for some to use wheelies, but, there is a difference between soft sided and hard sided luggage.

On one trip, I we had to wait at the gate for quite some times and were seated next to the bag sizer, just for fun, I placed our Aeronaute and Tristar which fitted with no problem.
    Sometimes later, a man with a had sided, very small wheelie (sized somewhat between a Western Flyer and a Pilot). He tried to fit it in the sizer but due to the wheel placed in the four corners of the case, some facing out, it could not fit, he swiftly removed it and went on to the check in line.

Flight crews carry soft sided wheelies, sometimes oversized.

The solution would be to post one airline agent right at the sizer and enforce the existing rules for everyone.

Wheelies now, have recessed wheels under the bottom of the bags which alleviate the difficulty of fitting them in the sizer.

It would help if airlines personnel applied some common sense by allowing seniors, parents, people with limited mobility and special health needs to keep the wheelies while making sure that very fit and strong adults have to check it.

The rules need to apply to them, even if they are "high maintenance" gals and guys, whose idea of packing is to throw their whole wardrobe in one of those monsters, and, get manipulative by turning on the charm then get upset like toddlers or congress, when they are told to get with the program.

I haven't flown since 1991. My suitcases now are old. One was my grandmother's, who died at age 89 in 1982 - She hadn't used the suitcase in decades before she died. Other suitcases are leftover Samsonite hard sided, with wheels. My parents traveled with them to Europe several times in the late 80s/early 90s.

My point is that people with perfectly good luggage aren't always going to replace it. If the rules are to check certain size luggage, that's fine. But those of us who have good luggage and car travel, who may rarely but occasionally fly, aren't likely to replace luggage - even if we'd want to. That alone could be the cost of a ticket.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

The city of waffles and good chocolates
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marytattoo View Post
    My point is that people with perfectly good luggage aren't always going to replace it. If the rules are to check certain size luggage, that's fine. But those of us who have good luggage and car travel, who may rarely but occasionally fly, aren't likely to replace luggage - even if we'd want to. That alone could be the cost of a ticket.
    Yes indeed, no one ever said you'll have to replace them if they are still in perfect shape.
    You'll just have to check them in if they don't comply with the permitted carry-on size & weight Smilie
    Big fan of Nordic dyneema (aeronaut, PCSB, PCBP, TT, LSB, SSB, SE, SCB, MCB, co-pilot, synapse 19). OK, so where am I going to put all that stuff...

Forum Member
    Seattle area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last month, I flew from IAD to SEA on United. The gate agent was being very militant about making people check their rolling luggage, if it would not fit into the luggage sizer. There was a sizer placed right next to the gate. When people would protest, the gate agent was polite but firm: if the luggage doesn't fit, you have to check it. I believe that gate checking the luggage was free for the passengers.

I found it quite refreshing to see the carry-on policy being enforced. I was in the last boarding group, due to United loading the airplane so that aisle passengers board in the last group. It was nice to see that there was overhead bin space still left when I got on the plane. Of course, my only luggage was a Synapse 25 and a Small Cafe Bag, so I didn't have any issues finding space for my luggage. I was also pleasantly surprised that boarding the airplane seemed to proceed very efficiently, even given that many people were forced to gate check their bags.

I agree that the airlines need to be consistent with their enforcement of carry-on luggage policies. It would be at least one thing that would make flying more tolerable.