Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Update on Dad

Forum Member
    Upstate NY
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Best wishes to your dad for much strength and perseverance towards what will hopefully be a speedy recovery. And fortitude and faith to you and your family to support him through this challenging period

Kansas City, MO
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mausermama View Post
    Sis and I bought Dad a Roku for Father's Day. He is a very active man and can't sit still for long. His favorite thing to do is buy old John Deere tractors and restore them. The only thing he will sit for is a good Western movie, preferably starring John Wayne. Roku has several "Western channels," so hopefully this will keep him entertained while he convalesces.
    I think we share a dad. Except mine loves Farmalls :-)

Hope today is better for you!

TB Ravelry Moderator Mausermama's Avatar
    Florida
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by brendabethman View Post
    I think we share a dad. Except mine loves Farmalls :-)

Hope today is better for you!
    Love this! Oh, and currently I'm in Salina. He lives in Lindsborg. I wish it was closer to KC. I LOVE lasagna!

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bunchgrass View Post
    I hope your dad is doing better. I had quintuple bypass surgery in Dec. 2013. My daughter stayed at the hospital with me for several days. It was good having her there. And very much appreciated. This past February, my husband had hip replacement surgery. @marytattoo nailed it. One of the things I learned is the importance of taking care of myself. Partly because open heart surgery is not fun and I really don't want to do it again and because I am the caregiver for my husband. Aging is not fun.
    I hope both you and your husband are doing all right: wow, quintuple bypass surgery! That's a lot to endure. As they say, aging is not for wimps!

~Nancy

eastern Washington
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ncb4 View Post
    I hope both you and your husband are doing all right: wow, quintuple bypass surgery! That's a lot to endure. As they say, aging is not for wimps!

~Nancy
    We are doing well. Thank you. I have learned that wellness is work. I walk or go to the gym almost every day. I have also become much more selective about what I eat.

I hope the OP's dad is recovering well and will be released soon.

Florida
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by bunchgrass View Post
    We are doing well. Thank you. I have learned that wellness is work. I walk or go to the gym almost every day. I have also become much more selective about what I eat.

I hope the OP's dad is recovering well and will be released soon.
    Dad is continuing in his healing, thanks! You are so right. Wellness takes time and effort. Dad is learning that he will need to alter certain things in his life (like putting salt on food before even tasting it). Exercise for him has never been an issue because he is on his feet all day long doing things that would wear me out at 22. Food, though, is another matter entirely.

Right now he's still on 4L of oxygen. Later today he will get the pacer wires out. Yesterday they pulled the chest tube. Today he will be focusing on getting himself dressed and caring for his personal needs. He will need to be able to do those things when he gets home, since he lives alone.

I think he also needs to work on his attitude a bit, as he is extremely grumpy. I'm attributing some of that to the pain meds, but also he is not liking being so helpless. I will not be extending my trip, so I will be heading home tomorrow evening. He should be coming home before noon on Monday.

I am so thankful I've had the opportunity to care for Dad. It's been a huge privilege. I'm feeling more and more confident that Dad will recover well and I'll be able to enjoy him for several more years.

Volunteer Moderator Alumni Ilkyway's Avatar
    GMT +1 Germany, North
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh that are good news! So glad to read it. This is so impressive what they can do today, right?
    His crumpyness will heal along with his heart, I am sure of it. Your boys will be glad to have you back home.

Thanks for the updates, I wish you all health and strength to carry on.

Ilkyway
    “Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it in the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it so long as it was there.”

By Sir Terence David John Pratchett from The Truth

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Over the past 21 years I've learned that going home from the hospital/rehab makes a huge difference in the recovery of a person because it's the getting back to normal that helps most. About 6 years ago my mom was in rehab for 4 months (LONG story). Every time she or my now deceased dad were in long-term medical care they became disoriented and just out-of-it. They often had no real connection with reality. At the time 6 years ago mom was in that situation. All of my 5 siblings and their spouses and the medical people and mom's pastor told me she NEEDED to stay in the facility. I'm the live-in parental caregiver and I said no. I knew that she would likely improve when she got back into a familiar environment. She came home. And can be on her own (not live on her own full time, but with me there it's like her assisted living). I was away for a week and she was alone, relatives checking on her daily, making sure she had dinner. I'm out and about a lot and she's home alone. She reads on a kindle. We have an aide who comes a few hours a week. Everyone in my family and her pastor have said I was right to bring her home. I know if she'd remained in the rehab place 6 years ago she'd be dead. Same stories with dad after his massive stroke. He lived for 13 years, but wouldn't have if he'd not been home. So, when your father gets home, he'll recover quickly. His grumpiness will ease because some of it's likely due to fear that he WON'T be able to go home.

Incidentally, mom has no memory of those 4 months she was in rehab.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Kansas City, MO
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Love this! Oh, and currently I'm in Salina. He lives in Lindsborg. I wish it was closer to KC. I LOVE lasagna!
    Hopefully next time you're in KS, your dad's health will be good and we can work out a plan to get together. Salina and Lindsborg are on my day trip list, but I haven't made it yet.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anger and depression were two of the things my mother and I were warned to expect after my dad's valve repair surgery. We were not expecting medication-induced psychosis at home on Thanksgiving Day, but that's what we got. Fortunately, trading oxycodone for Vicodin took care of that - if your dad's grumpiness persists or seems to be morphing into something more serious, talk to his doctor about changing his meds. An anti-depressant could help as well, though it wouldn't work quickly.

I hope Delta is forgiving about the ticket, but it sounds like a situation where the change fee will be worth the peace of mind.

Florida
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by brendabethman View Post
    Hopefully next time you're in KS, your dad's health will be good and we can work out a plan to get together. Salina and Lindsborg are on my day trip list, but I haven't made it yet.
    Well, I'm coming back on the 15th of July...with my newly 18 year old son, for a visit to KU. Maybe we could make a time for it! Things will be crazy that day, as we will be touring, checking out my old haunts, and wining and dining my favorite professor (yes, she's still there!). BUT, maybe afterwards, like on another day? It's iffy, simply because Dad may still be needing some assistance, but it's something that I would love to make happen!

Florida
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by binje View Post
    Anger and depression were two of the things my mother and I were warned to expect after my dad's valve repair surgery. We were not expecting medication-induced psychosis at home on Thanksgiving Day, but that's what we got. Fortunately, trading oxycodone for Vicodin took care of that - if your dad's grumpiness persists or seems to be morphing into something more serious, talk to his doctor about changing his meds. An anti-depressant could help as well, though it wouldn't work quickly.

I hope Delta is forgiving about the ticket, but it sounds like a situation where the change fee will be worth the peace of mind.
    Thanks for telling me that. I really didn't even have that on my radar, but it does make some sense that the meds could be totally altering him a bit. He's never been sick before, and has never taken medicine (even Aspirin) until his surgery got slated. I wish I could claim the same! My allergies would eat me alive without Flonase and Astelin!

Florida
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marytattoo View Post
    Over the past 21 years I've learned that going home from the hospital/rehab makes a huge difference in the recovery of a person because it's the getting back to normal that helps most. About 6 years ago my mom was in rehab for 4 months (LONG story). Every time she or my now deceased dad were in long-term medical care they became disoriented and just out-of-it. They often had no real connection with reality. At the time 6 years ago mom was in that situation. All of my 5 siblings and their spouses and the medical people and mom's pastor told me she NEEDED to stay in the facility. I'm the live-in parental caregiver and I said no. I knew that she would likely improve when she got back into a familiar environment. She came home. And can be on her own (not live on her own full time, but with me there it's like her assisted living). I was away for a week and she was alone, relatives checking on her daily, making sure she had dinner. I'm out and about a lot and she's home alone. She reads on a kindle. We have an aide who comes a few hours a week. Everyone in my family and her pastor have said I was right to bring her home. I know if she'd remained in the rehab place 6 years ago she'd be dead. Same stories with dad after his massive stroke. He lived for 13 years, but wouldn't have if he'd not been home. So, when your father gets home, he'll recover quickly. His grumpiness will ease because some of it's likely due to fear that he WON'T be able to go home.

Incidentally, mom has no memory of those 4 months she was in rehab.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    You are a strong person. I admire that. Good for you for understanding your parents' needs. It's tough to make a decision contrary to everyone else's advice, but sometimes it's the best thing you could do. It sure sounds that way for your situation!

Kansas City, MO
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I'm coming back on the 15th of July...with my newly 18 year old son, for a visit to KU. Maybe we could make a time for it! Things will be crazy that day, as we will be touring, checking out my old haunts, and wining and dining my favorite professor (yes, she's still there!). BUT, maybe afterwards, like on another day? It's iffy, simply because Dad may still be needing some assistance, but it's something that I would love to make happen!
    Yes, let's try! I will PM you my info and hopefully we can work it out. If you haven't been, the yarn shop in Lawrence is lovely :-)

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are so uplifting to me! Thanks! Yesterday was a perfectly awful day. Dad's pulse was super wonky- all over the place. It dropped down very low (30s) several times and he was cold, clammy, and sweaty. The doc ultimately kicked in the temporary pacemaker. Thirty minutes later he was feeling much better. I suspect they are going to tell us today that he will need a permanent one installed today. What's even more amazing to me is that they do it in the room while the patient is only on Versed and Morphine! Although with Dad's bleed during the surgery, they may decide to do it under a more controlled environment. I'm getting ahead of myself. They may decide to watch him awhile and kick him off of it for awhile to see how he does, too. We shall see.

Sis and I bought Dad a Roku for Father's Day. He is a very active man and can't sit still for long. His favorite thing to do is buy old John Deere tractors and restore them. The only thing he will sit for is a good Western movie, preferably starring John Wayne. Roku has several "Western channels," so hopefully this will keep him entertained while he convalesces.
    My mom got a pacemaker last year. Outpatient surgery normally although they kept her overnight because she is 90 just to check up on her. Two hours after the surgery she was emailing the grandkids on her phone.

I had taken her in to the ER the previous night because she was just feeling very sluggish. It was raining, there was a football game on TV and it was the middle of the week - the perfect time to go to the ER.

They took her vitals and put her in a room in the back. The on-call cardiologist came by and said "you're getting a pacemaker in the morning." My mom says "Let me go home and think about it" and the doc said "nope, you're spending the night in ICU."

The idea of the pacemaker bothered my mom a lot more than the pacemaker. In her case it isn't doing a lot - intentionally. My mom is back to swimming her daily 20 laps in the pool.

A buddy of mine has one. He says "the best thing I ever did. Everybody ought to have one."
    When in trouble, obfuscate.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast