Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Dallas, Texas
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Travelling with a tent footprint? Good idea or crazy?

Our family of 6 is travelling to the Highlands of Scotland at the end of July for a reunion, and I have this idea to bring a tent footprint with me as a multi-use item. I mainly use it as an ultra compact waterproof picnic blanket with tent stakes* through the corner loops, but it has also served as an emergency robe after getting soaked in the rain, and also as a car blanket. It is large enough to wrap around yourself and wear as a poncho (89 x 54 inches). Two big people or four small people can sit on it comfortably.

We are not camping, but 4 of us will be "glamping" in a tent like "wigwam" caravan thing, which has a fire pit in front. I know it rains often and unexpectedly in the Highlands. So I thought it might be useful for sitting on wet ground in front of the fire.

It weighs 8 oz. and fits in a quart sized ziploc. But I have a weight restriction of 22 lbs for everything including laptop and electronics.

Does it seem like a tent footprint would be a handy thing to have on a trip? My husband laughed out loud when I walked in the room wearing it draped around me as a proof of concept.

Btw, I am not bringing tent stakes (not tsa compliant).
    Last edited by Amy; 06-24-2015 at 03:20 PM.
    Donít make something unless it is both necessary and useful; but if it is both necessary and useful, donít hesitate to make it beautiful. ó Shaker Philosophy

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Buy it there. They have sporting goods store (sports direct?). It's pretty good and reasonable prices. Last time in Scotland we bought sandals there that we still use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dallas, Texas
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the suggestion. We are staying in a tiny village on the coast (Dornie) so I don't think shopping will be very convenient. Plus I hate to spend money on something I already own and would only ever need one of... It would cost much more over there and only save me 8 ounces on one leg of the flight. My question was really about if travelling overseas with this type of item is worth it in terms of usefulness. I have never brought a waterproof blanket on an overseas trip before, but it seemed like this would make sense in this particular case.

I may just fuggeddaboutit and use a trash bag instead, in the event we find ourselves needing a dry place to sit or a waterproof thing to put over us when the rain comes down. 8 ounces is probably too much to dedicate for the few times I would use it.
    Donít make something unless it is both necessary and useful; but if it is both necessary and useful, donít hesitate to make it beautiful. ó Shaker Philosophy

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Will you be wearing an outdoor jacket that has those big inner pockets? It could go in there since I suspect it packs pretty flat. Seems like a great idea if you need a ground cloth for wet or muddy situations. Just don't get it too close to that fire; those things go up like a match!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bijouxandbeads View Post
    Will you be wearing an outdoor jacket that has those big inner pockets? It could go in there since I suspect it packs pretty flat. Seems like a great idea if you need a ground cloth for wet or muddy situations. Just don't get it too close to that fire; those things go up like a match!
    When we camped we just used plastic (paint) dropclorhs. Can just throw away when you leave.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like your trash bag idea. After you are done, you can put them to their intended use.

When my nieces and nephews were young, we used large trash bags as "picnic blankets." However, we did have a LLBean picnic blanket, fleece on one side, waterproofish nylon on the other side, for the little ones. THAT picnic blanket is one of the best purchases ever. I think it may still be around.

Back to the trash bag "picnic blankets," at the end of the day, we collected our trash and trash that other people left, carried them to the dumpsters. I am happy that even as they approach their teen/ young adult years, they regularly carry repurposed grocery bags in their TB bags (S19s, BBs and 1 Ego) to collect their and other people's trash.

Have an awesome trip!

Dallas, Texas
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys! @Walker-- I think trash bags make the most sense and will do everything the waterproof blanket will, while also doubling as a trash bag when we're done. Great!