1-800-729-9607 | emailus@tombihn.com

Shop Tom Bihn
TOM BIHN Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. TOM BIHN has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

User Tag List

Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 LastLast
    TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On a recent road trip, I spent a little time in Mancos, Colorado where I purchased a very nice blanket made by Nancy Hains. She collects the wool from her own sheep and alpacas and dyes, spins, and weaves it herself.

On that same trip, I used my Snowpeak French Press every time we camped for the night. It's a nice little french press, especially if you only make/drink one strong cup of coffee in the morning like I do. I even use it at home.

More food than thing but I really like Sprout Living Pumpkin Seed Protein Powder.
    Current Carry: The Hero's Journey, Skookum Dog Citizen Canine, Founder's Briefcase, Synapse 19 (day hikes), Guide's Pack (longer day hikes), Yeoman Duffel (winter/emergency stuff for the car), Aeronaut 30 (travel), Night Flight Travel Duffel (camera bag), Moveable Feast + Shop Bags (food)

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Apresski View Post
    Such an awesome thread! So much have been added to my I-WANT list.

One thing that I do love that I dont think is mentioned is my bunker-ring for my iPhone/mini iPad. It is so very convenient. It's a ring that attaches to the back (it can be removed) that svivels and helps you hold the phone more securely, and since I got it I have not dropped my phone once. (This used to be a rather expensive habit of mine). It also doubles as a stand and comes with a hook attachment to hang on the wall/car. (I've found that since I dont have the ring centered that's not so useful). Also - I know it's a silly problem, but with the iPhone 6s I found it hard to text one handed - the shift, q, w, a and s keys were to far away to reach with my thumb when holding the phone securely. With this ring I can easily reach them. I know I'm gushing - but I've seldom been so happy with an impulse-1am-amazon-buy. (they color on them do wear out but I've happily bought replacements). I'll attach a picture from amazon.

Attachment 17663
    Along the same lines are http://www.loopycases.com. I initially backed them on Kickstarter and have a few as does my wife. Very comfortable and practical.
    --------------------------------

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you mkeith12 for RBW <https://www.rivbike.com/> inspiration! I have been saving up since last June for one of their bikes its going to take a while longer, but I gotta have me one. In the meantime, I have been making a few changes to my old beater bike to make it more riv-like. Just got an order today of an albatross handlebars, cork grips, tape, and a bell I love their site too, and Grant P. is definitely someone I would love to know.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    John Deere tractors
    Weber grills
    Apple Mac and iOS products

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Zamberlan boots last forever. I have had a pair over 10 years. It remains 100% waterproof and the sole actually still looks good.

Rolex submariner. I have a 15 year old one that works perfectly well with zero scratches on the sapphire glass. In comparison, my stainless steel Apple Watch lasted a little over a year. The Apple watch much use the world's lowest grade of sapphire glass because mine had scuffs on it after about 6 months. Come to think of it, the quality of the stainless also is subpar on the Apple watch as it's scratched more than my Rolex.

Boeing 787. This is going to sound strange, but after several trips to Asia and back from the US on different aircraft, there is no comparison. The air quality (significantly less dry) and flight smoothness of this plane blows away peers. The Airbus 330 is the opposite of the 787.

Thermarest travel cushion. This thing is amazing. It inflates on its own and saved me on the Asian flights I've been taking. It also can be be deflated and rolled up into something about the size of a can of soda.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a great thread, how have I waited so long to post?
    A Kaweco Brass fountain pen (with a small italic nib!) is in my pocket every day. I love it.
    I am addicted to nearly everything made by Armor-lux and Saint James, two French companies which both make traditional French sailor’s sweaters and shirts. They are warm, long-lasting and stylish. (And a shout-out to B1GSKY about both Armor-lux and Trippen!)
    Oboz shoes—the best hiking shoes (not boots) I have ever had. When I bought them, three different REI employees say the box in my hands, and spontaneously started gushing about how great they are. (I have Bridger Low BDry’s, to be exact.)
    Victorinox kitchen knives—inexpensive and good (sometimes even cheaper in Europe)
    Penzey’s Spices ( https://www.penzeys.com/ ), an amazing company!
    Most surprising to me, since I didn’t know the company before, is the Condor hooded fleece jacket which I love. Condor makes stuff for the police and military market. I bought the fleeece jacket as a future replacement for a Marmot fleece jacket I bought in 1981 (I haven’t worn it out yet...). It is one of the only onew I could find with pit-zips. It is well designed (though it might be an inch or two longer), and cost me much, much less than the other brands I was looking at.
    Otter box for their iPad cases. The case nearly doubles the weight of my iPad, but I have no fear of breaking it.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glerups wool slippers. https://www.glerups.com
    Picasso Labs leather macbook sleeves https://www.picasolab.com/products/classicbrown
    Thin optics keychain reader pince nez (has made it possible for me to read menus many times when I have run off without regular reading glasses - I like the keychain one but a lot of my friends use the one that sticks to the back of a cell phone) https://www.thinoptics.com
    Smartwool anything.
    Last edited by spcanf; 04-22-2018 at 08:20 AM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For outdoor wear:
    Paramo clothing, based in UK and with ethical manufacturing
    And for winter, Buffalo pile and Pertex, made in the UK
    Both brands make ultra breathable, virtually indestructible softshell, ideal for outdoor work in all weathers

Footwear:
    Scarpa hiking boots - One of the few brands which suit my narrow feet
    Dunlop green wellies - cheapest on the market and still the best
    Teva sandals: loved my leather pair so much that I bought a spare pair 'for when these wear out' - still waiting after 14+ years !

Lingerie: Fantasie

Coffee flask: Lifeventure Thermal Mug. Everybody needs one of these!

Water bottle: Nalgene wide mouth 500ml & 1 litre

Hiking backpacks: Macpac - not the flimsy looking new ones, the discontinued older models made of bombproof Aztec fabric. Heavy but will stand up to any abuse and as a bonus are waterproof. Love my Synapses but I wouldn't wear them to crawl through a hedge, but my Macpac ones I would (and have)

Cookbook: Nigella Lawson, How to Eat

Great thread Brands and Stuff That You Love (Emphasis on Quality)

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Optimo hats

Helly Hansen Workwear Chelsea Construction Pants (Buit-in kneepads!!!!)

Bosch Laser tape measure

Veto Pro Pack Tool Bags

Occidental Tool belts

Blackwing pencils

Petzel headlamps

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Solidteknics cookware. (In my mind, the Tom Bihn of cookware, and with a cult following including a FB group.) An Australian company that manufactures in Australia and now, in the US as well. Their points of difference include one-piece design, innovative materials and durability. They started with "Aus Fonte" cast iron cookware (which they are no longer manufacturing), and then added "Aus Ion," which is wrought iron, and then "Noni" ferritic stainless steel. They are calling their US wrought iron range "US Ion," which is made in Chicago of US steel, and have two skillets on Kickstarter now. The wrought iron is much lighter than cast iron but performs much the same. I have two of these pans in the Australian iterations and absolutely love them .... actually they've rekindled my enjoyment of cooking. I've had fun learning to season them (which is not hard) and love that they are low-stick without a "teflonesque" coating. I also have one of the Noni stainless steel pans, and adore it too.

Hedrena merino clothing. I have a number of their pieces and love them for their beautiful hand and good-quality construction. The designs are basic streetwear, rather than "athleisure," which I appreciate. Now marketed online under Merino & Co., a group with a couple of other Aussie wool brands, which has a good return policy.

Merino Country 100% merino briefs. Another Australian company, whose jersey merino also has a nice hand like Hedrena's. Their briefs for both men and women are less expensive than Hedrena's and of a similar quality. Hubby and I have been trialling these for over a year; we both rate them high for comfort and performance, and I'm happy with their durability and easy care. (I haven't tried any of the styles with lace, which is not merino.) We also have a couple Merino Country turtlenecks, which are fine but they do have necks wider than I like. Note the sizing.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a big fan of Le Creuset pots and pans. They are pricey, but with some care they last generations. I bought my first almost 16 years ago (used) and it's still producing amazing food.

I love Pendleton Woolen Mills blankets. They're great gifts and long lasting. My national parks blankets are staples in my house. They are also made in the USA, and come in a crazy amount of patterns and designs (if anyone is a Harry Potter nerd, they have several gorgeous blankets for adults and kids).

Deneen Pottery makes some truly kick butt mugs (Minnesota based) and they contract out to National Parks and businesses. Many, many color choices and sizes, and the quality is amazing.

Any coffee lovers here? Kicking Horse Coffee, based in Canada, has a pretty wide variety of choices (Horsepower, Kick Ass, Smart Ass)... I've tried all but one of their flavors and they remain the only auto buy I have on Amazon every month.

Caxton Printers (based here in Idaho) publishes a wide variety of non-fiction every year, and they specialize in Native American history and folklore.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaz View Post
    Solidteknics cookware. (In my mind, the Tom Bihn of cookware, and with a cult following including a FB group.) An Australian company that manufactures in Australia and now, in the US as well. Their points of difference include one-piece design, innovative materials and durability. They started with "Aus Fonte" cast iron cookware (which they are no longer manufacturing), and then added "Aus Ion," which is wrought iron, and then "Noni" ferritic stainless steel. They are calling their US wrought iron range "US Ion," which is made in Chicago of US steel, and have two skillets on Kickstarter now. The wrought iron is much lighter than cast iron but performs much the same. I have two of these pans in the Australian iterations and absolutely love them .... actually they've rekindled my enjoyment of cooking. I've had fun learning to season them (which is not hard) and love that they are low-stick without a "teflonesque" coating. I also have one of the Noni stainless steel pans, and adore it too.
    . .
    LOVE my Solidtekniks Wok, fry pan, and Nöni saucepan! I paid for shipping from AU to US and the pans are worth every penny.
    current EDC- Black Ballistic Travel Cubelet with an Orange 152 COW. I have MANY pouches... My goal is 1 in every color 好的朋友

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my opinion, the Tom Bihn of cookware is Scanpan, especially their Pro IQ range. Great lasting products, but not cheap.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was just reminded of these, from a separate thread...

Zojirushi vacuum insulated travel mugs are amazing...keep hot hot and cold cold for a wicked long time... slightly more effort required to clean all the gaskets, but worth it for the performance.
    Last edited by G42; 06-18-2018 at 03:40 PM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree about the zojirushi mugs. I have loved everything from that brand - rice cooker, mugs, etc.

Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 LastLast