Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21 22 23 LastLast
    Germany
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
    This one is probably pretty niche - for people that like mechanical watches and German stuff - but this is such a great brand from a small German company very much like Tom Bihn: Sinn (pronounced "Zinn").
    Looks great! I don’t have that much money to spend on a watch, but I like the Sinn 556 watches. No frills and small enough for a woman. I don’t like most women’s watches, they’re just ugly. At the moment I’m wearing a Junkers watch daily (the poor man’s Junghans). When I travel I always wear my Casio F91W, practical and so inexpensive that I don’t need to worry about it. And I kind of dig it in a certain retro way (but then I probably had too much contact with Berlin hipsters). Especially paired with floral sundresses... Wink

Silicon Valley
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BihnBag View Post
    Very nice. Is that after market strap (the white one) or is that an official Sinn one?
    Quote Originally Posted by b1gsky View Post
    Looks great! I don’t have that much money to spend on a watch, but I like the Sinn 556 watches.
    Alright! a few other watch nerds here! @Bihnbag, yes those are Sinn straps that I bought the full size deployant clasp for, which I really like even though i have a smaller wrist. I also have the red (see below). Your SM is, of course, awesome, and it's funny you mention the Fenix because I'm thinking on an Instinct or F6, but probably after the holidays.

@B1gsky, holy moly, German watch fan! I love Junkers and also Casio! I'm thinking on a g-shock or Protrek soon ... that said, I keep going back to the German brands as there's just something I love there.

The U2 with the red Sinn strap:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great thread.

Here are some of my choices:

Folding knives - Hinderer
    Fixed blades - Busse
    Kitchen knives - Kramer
    Scissors - Victorinox
    Work axes - Conciltool
    Lights - Surefire
    Cameras - Sony A7[R]iii
    Laptops / Monitors - Dell
    Dog gear - Alpine Outfitters
    Scooters - Diggler Alpha Disc (large), Xootr - folding small, Micro - folding micro
    Casual shoes - Salamander or Clarks
    Specialty shoes - Crocs
    Thermals - North Pole
    Clothing - Todd Shelton
    Hats - Tilley (outdoor), Stetson (lifetime hats), Bailey Hollywood (dress)
    Leather bags - Saddleback leather (esp. old papyrus logo)
    Leather treatment - Leatherique (cars), Leather Solutions International (furniture)
    Watches mechanical - Oris, Universal Geneve, quartz - Seiko solar radio atomic
    Cars - Porsche

Germany
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @B1gsky, holy moly, German watch fan! I love Junkers and also Casio! I'm thinking on a g-shock or Protrek soon ... that said, I keep going back to the German brands as there's just something I love there.
    Hereís my Junkers:

Brands and Stuff That You Love (Emphasis on Quality)-be34ff08-bb2c-42aa-939b-0eb734b8364a-jpeg

Itís a great everyday watch for me, especially because I can wear both silver and gold jewellery with it. But Iím definitely looking for another more sporty watch as an alternative , and also maybe something with an automatic or hand wind movement. But I havenít found the right watch yet. I definitely canít imagine going without a watch, I always wear one when Iím out and about.

Forum Member
    Perth, Australia
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My watch collection so far. I think we have enough to warrant a push to get a TB travel watch case made? Brands and Stuff That You Love (Emphasis on Quality)

I was thinking of buying scraps and making a band or something. But lack of the skills to do anything good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Minneapolis, MN
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recently came across recommendations for the NiteIze Quickstand. It's a credit card-sized stand that is compatible with most phones and tablets. I wasn't super convinced of its efficacy but it's low price (found mine for $9 at REI https://tinyurl.com/w4eb9sk) and local availability pushed me to try it. Totally love it. It's tiny, actually the size of a credit card so it's always at hand. Stable. Lightweight. Lots of angles and useful in both portrait and landscape mode.

When I bring my Logitech Keys-to-go I can pretty much leave my laptop at home or the office and have all the comfort of full keyboard typing. You can get up to 3 months between charges (Based on 2 hours average usage per day) says the product description. In my experience with light use I've gotten nearly a year's use with a single charge and light, occasional usage.

London, He/Him, Colourway (Novo Amor), Squash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good brands: Patagonia (jackets, fleeces and capilene t-shirts), Arc'teryx (coats, fleeces), Stance (socks and t-shirts), Supernatural (merino wool t-shirts), Lululemon (trousers fit really well, free hemming; and the silver tech t-shirts are good as well), On Running (shoes), Hoka One One (shoes) EDIT oo and Alex Mill: wonderful basics and pieces that will last forever. & Tracksmith: best brand I've ever found for running gear because they're ridiculously comfortable and long-lasting.

Bad/not great brands: Smartwool (t-shirts and socks; they just lost shape and didn't meet my expectations), Allbirds (shoes; really hurt my heels, wanted to love them, but just can't), Organic Basics (again, wanted to love them, but I feel as though their products were over-priced and did not fit well at all).

Finally, just a quick caveat for people wanting to be more sustainable, especially to do with animal welfare, more specifically to do with down products. Try to source sustainably, specifically through RDS (Responsible Down Standard): this does still mean that animals die, it just means it is done ethically (no live plucking etc.), if you want a down alternative, then go synthetic (Patagonia and Arc'teryx make great jackets: Micro-puff and Atom LT respectively), you still get the micro plastics and everything, but it's about weighing up everything and what you're more happy with.
    Last edited by Fox; 02-18-2020 at 05:59 PM. Reason: Forgot a brand

Forum Member Generic Industries's Avatar
    Coming to you live from Virginia.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello, all. I'm late to the thread but I'm glad to have found it. There are definitely some manufacturers here that are new to me! Thanks for everyone's input and insight.

I thought I'd add a few suggestions of my own.

And a note up front: With a lot of these companies and companies others have mentioned it's always a good idea to get in touch when something breaks, wears out, or doesn't perform as expected. You'd be surprised what quality gear companies can do for you!

Jandd Mountaineering
    Quality specialty bags, worth checking out for cycling gear especially. Panniers, rollers, handle bar bags, bike frame bags. Lifetime guarantee, lots of colors, reasonable prices.

Steele Canvas
    Excellent US-made canvas totes, trolleys and bushel baskets.

Occidental Leather
    The ultimate leather tool belt company. All products are made in the US (California, I think). They have a nice line of nylon belts and pouches that are robust and affordable. I work in construction, these are premium belts. I'd recommend you check them out if you're looking for a decent set of bags for a weekend project or if you do occasional carpentry and haven't found the right set of bags just yet.

Berkeley Point
    Stainless hardware and components for home, garden, aviation and sailing. Hooks, clips, hasps, rings, shackles, hinges, etc! If you're into NiteIze style carabiners and clips give these a look.

Wheeler Monroe
    Find them on Etsy. Tool belts for gardeners, florists and others in need of keeping tools close at hand. All made in North Carolina, USA.

Starrett
    Fine US-made marking and measuring tools: rules, dividers, calipers, micrometers, squares, trammels.

Kennedy
    Classic matte-brown tool boxes and tool chests for machinists and mechanics. These are best picked up used at yard sales and craigslist.

Blundstone
    The now-ubiquitous brown boot has always served me well. We've been through half a dozen pairs in our household and all have been well worth the price of admission. We stick to the basic all-leather models.

AO Eyeware, Inc.
    Classic aviator glasses. The "original pilot" glasses were used by astronauts during the Apollo program. Reasonable prices, made in the US. Can you say "polarized glass lenses"?

A note on Smartwool
    I've noticed a few comments about Smartwool products throughout the thread. I've had a few pairs of merino tights, several 150 and 250 baselayer shirts and a few pairs of socks. All have help up pretty well, the shirts especially. I always take care to wash on gentle and to air dry on a clothes horse.

When their stuff has worn out and I sent it back. Let's just say they've been generous.

I love wearing merino, I find it's great at regulating my body temperature and very comfortable. I don't just wear it when I'm on an excursion in the cold. I wear Smartwool layers practically everyday: to work, to sleep, as a baselayer practically all winter. I get so acclimated that cotton feels like chain mail when I switch back.

Pyrex
    How about a shout out for everyday US-made kitchenware available practically everywhere? Sturdy glass beakers and big glass bowls for mixing and measuring.

Leatherman
    Excellent multitools and customer service. I carry a Wave. A few years back I picked up an original Leatherman PST at a flea market for $2.00 that needed some TLC. The pliers didn't work. I sent it out to Leatherman and they returned it back to me good as new. I think I only paid shipping.

Amaroq
    Makers of beautiful aluminum dustpans. That's right – dustpans! Nicely stamped edges stay flat to the floor. Very similar to the big aluminum pans you find at most hardware stores but better made and better looking. US-made.

Darn Tough
    They've been mentioned here but I'll go ahead and add that they've always done right by me!

Patagonia
    A few people have spoken up for Patagonia already. I say great products and customer service. Good warranties, good replacement and repair program. I've found busted Patagonia stuff at the thrift store that I've sent in for repairs! I've got... a lot of their stuff. Mostly picked up used!

Carhartt
    Has Carhartt been mentioned here? For the price and durability they are really tough to beat. Some of the classic designs like the double-front dungarees, duck pants, sandstone hooded jackets are hard wearing and last a really long time.

Tilley
    I know they've been mentioned. I got a Tilley Outback ten years ago and it's still looking good. I wore it while working summers on an organic produce farm and still use it in hard rain or when I'm outside in the summer. Durable, hold their shape, retain water repellency, handsome, etc. Haven't sent one in but the label inside says they'll replace it if it wears out.
    Last edited by Generic Industries; 02-29-2020 at 09:55 AM. Reason: Poor editing, dropped pronouns, latent ideas

France
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Pyrex suggestion is a great one. Used almost everyday, but somewhat taken for granted.

Silicon Valley
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBadD View Post
    The Pyrex suggestion is a great one. Used almost everyday, but somewhat taken for granted.
    Complete side note, but I had a pyrex container I've been using for years in the oven with only garbanzo beans in it roasting at 350. Took it out and was turning to set it on the island behind me and the dish literally exploded! there was glass everywhere, including in my hair - i was lucky I wasn't injured.

Anyway, not sure if it was user or error or mean time-to-failure (I've been using that dish for that purpose for years), but word to the wise!

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Complete side note, but I had a pyrex container I've been using for years in the oven with only garbanzo beans in it roasting at 350. Took it out and was turning to set it on the island behind me and the dish literally exploded! there was glass everywhere, including in my hair - i was lucky I wasn't injured.

Anyway, not sure if it was user or error or mean time-to-failure (I've been using that dish for that purpose for years), but word to the wise!
    You might find this interesting

https://gizmodo.com/the-pyrex-glass-...die-1833040962
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Forum Member
    Las Vegas
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That happened to me with a Pyrex 4-cup measure a couple years ago. I always used it to make tea for iced tea, but the last time I started to pour the boiling water in, it exploded in little shards all over my kitchen. No injuries, just a mess to clean up, but it sure did startle me! I replaced it with another and, so far, so good��

Silicon Valley
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    wow, interesting - it's exactly what happened to me, taking it out of the oven and BOOM! and it DEFINITELY exploded (and it was pyrex) - there was glass ON TOP of 5 foot high things 10 feet away!

Freaked me out enough that I'm steel or aluminum only now.

Forum Member Generic Industries's Avatar
    Coming to you live from Virginia.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yikes! Exploding glass is no good. I haven't had anything go wrong but those scenarios are scary enough to strike it from the "recommended" list!

France
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had not heard of or personally experienced such Pyrex issues - but clearly a concern! My own positive daily use is mainly as mixing bowls and measuring jugs, rather than oven use.

Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21 22 23 LastLast