Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22 23 LastLast
    Seattle, WA
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some favorites of mine that I don't think I've seen yet:

• URESHII DESIGN - I first heard about this two-woman Canadian company here on the forums. I've bought a bunch of made-to-measure merino clothing from them since then, and it has all been 100% beautiful and perfect.
    • SCARF SHOP - gorgeous hand-dyed scarves in cotton, wool, or cashmere. My current favorite thing from them is a cashmere shawl in an aggressively high-vis neon pink. Expensive, but they occasionally do sales, and they often sell slightly imperfect stuff for 40% off.
    • PIGGLEDEE - Etsy seller who makes super useful, super adorable things. I'm a huge fan of her insulated snack bags (perfect for holding uninsulated steel lunch containers) and food-safe utensil cases (seen here)

• CIELO pill cases, made in the USA. Highly functional, and very cute and compact.
    • I've bought DAZZLE DOT adhesive lipstick mirrors over and over again, and have given them to everyone I know who wears lipstick. Such a simple idea, but I hate not having these on my lipsticks now.

Forum Member
    Buffalo, NY
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm kind of surprised Buff hasn't been mentioned yet here. I have one of their merino neck gaiters and it's just absolutely phenomenal. They pack down to pretty much nothing, so you can take them anywhere, and they're surprisingly warm no matter how you wear them-and there's tons of ways to wear them. Great product.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skirata44 View Post
    I'm kind of surprised Buff hasn't been mentioned yet here. I have one of their merino neck gaiters and it's just absolutely phenomenal. They pack down to pretty much nothing, so you can take them anywhere, and they're surprisingly warm no matter how you wear them-and there's tons of ways to wear them. Great product.
    I really like my merino buff. I bring it on every single trip, as I can use it for a few different purposes. Besides the obvious as a scarf or neck warmer, it is my eye mask on flights (and keeps my ears warm on the flight, as a bonus.)

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love my WOOL & PRINCE merino shirts. https://woolandprince.com/ ... The quality of the fabric is superb, and the dark blue button down I bought is the most beautiful shirt I've ever owned. (I also have three long-sleeve henleys, a polo, two t-shirts, and a heavier piece somewhat akin to a sweater.)

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can people who have bought from URESHII DESIGN comment on the different fabrics they use? What's your favorite (or non-favorite) and why?

Silicon Valley
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm going to shout out to Anker for chargers, cables, etc ... Not only do they have great products, they have customer service equal to TB!

I've got a ton of their stuff and 98% has been flawless for years, but there have been a few duds - Anker replaced them for me immediately (and all were past warranty!).

Further, I just bought a battery w/ USB-C cable that just wasn't working with my specific phone - after trying a few things and getting some replacements, Anker agreed to give me a different model. Just super excellent customer service always to go with great products. (note that I have zero to do with Anker)

Seattle, WA
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BWeaves View Post
    Can people who have bought from URESHII DESIGN comment on the different fabrics they use? What's your favorite (or non-favorite) and why?
    My favorites for colder months are the Pure Merino and Sweater Merino. The Pure Merino is very fine 100% merino, I love it because it is soft, drapes well, and does not get smelly (as expected from 100% merino). Possible TMI: I generally only wash my Pure Merino tops if I get something on them.

The Sweater Merino is a newer offering, it's thick and plush and VERY soft and squishy. It's 30% merino and 70% lyocell, so I have to actually wash it now and then, but I can get quite a few wearings out of this fabric between washings as well.

In the warmer months I also love their Slub fabric. It's soft, extremely lightweight, and packable -- great for light summer cardigans. I also like the Hemp fabric for summer, as it's a thick, but loose, fabric.

The Bamboo rayon is also lovely and soft, and comes in many more colors than the merino offerings. I've worn this fabric in warm and cold weather with equal success. The Bamboo French Terry is also very soft and warm, great for lounge pants.

I generally don't get things in the Stretch Merino, since it's not as soft and comfortable as the Pure Merino or Sweater Merino in my opinion -- I prefer to just go for the Bamboo if I need something stretchy, or the Pure Merino if I don't need something stretchy.

By the seaside, England
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a spectacle wearer since around my 7th birthday, it's taken a long time but I have settled on two favourite spectacle brands: Lunor and Lindberg. Some people may recognise the late Steve Jobs' favourite spectacles, the Lunor "Classic Round" design. Lunor are a small, quirky company based in the Black Forest, making some classic - often vintage-styled - handmade spectacle frames in everything from acetate to titanium or gold; Lindberg are from Denmark - a much larger company, whose signature is the use of ultra-lightweight titanium, often with acetate elements, and very sharp designs. Both make some superb superb spectacle frames, with very high quality; I currently own 4 Lunor frames and a single Lindberg, but I have my eye on at least two more Lindbergs and am currently engaged in a discussion with my optician about another pair of specs with an updated prescription for screen use... because I spend all day every day, pretty much, in front of a computer. Presbyopia, especially combined with astigmatism, is a nuisance!

My lenses are from Seiko, their progressive lenses are superb.

I love my Scarpa boots and shoes (also mentioned earlier by @gqb ) - there's a pair of Terra GTX waterproof boots which are fantastic for walking with the dogs in muddy conditions, or on the beach in winter, and I also have a pair of their excellent waterproof walking shoes which look like technical trainers.

As far as pens are concerned, I'm a big fountain pen user. My favourites are long out of production, but can still be easily found on the used market - many have been restored, even unrestored examples are often still in full working condition needing just a good flush and a fresh fill of ink: the amazing Parker '51', launched nearly 80 years ago and still one of the finest writing instruments ever made. They're not flashy, but were designed as a high-end workhorse of a pen back in the days before ballpoints took over the world - and the sheer number of them still around bears out the fundamental solidity of the design. For minimum fuss and bother, the slightly later Aero-metric filling system just works and is often still fully operational even on pens considerably older than the mid-50s I'll admit to.

Kitchen knives: a 6" Global knife (no idea which model!) which I bought 20 years ago has been heavily used - but looked after - and is still our go-to kitchen knife for just about everything except peeling root veg. I got it when I was living in digs in London, then it came home 8 years later. These days my partner does a lot of the cooking, but also somehow ends up using the same knife, out of the half dozen on the knife rack, almost all the time...

And you can count me in as another big fan of Tilley hats - I currently own 4 and rotate between them depending on the season!
    A45CC K CQPC 3DCCGES25 SK SCBQKTTMCBLSB TT TSS4 PCSBSCBTT CQPC PQBPQK LT SETT 3DCCQKS19 TT P3DCCTS PP BBLCBCP TTRi QK NFTD A30DLBC

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ms. Ferret. Thank you!

I also don't wash my wool garments unless they look soiled. They never smell.

Can I also ask how URESHII DESIGN's finish their seams and hems?

Do you have a favorite garment shape from them?

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulT00 View Post

Kitchen knives: a 6" Global knife (no idea which model!) which I bought 20 years ago has been heavily used - but looked after - and is still our go-to kitchen knife for just about everything except peeling root veg. I got it when I was living in digs in London, then it came home 8 years later. These days my partner does a lot of the cooking, but also somehow ends up using the same knife, out of the half dozen on the knife rack, almost all the time...
    +1 on the Global knives... I have the paring knife and Chef's knife... very nicely balanced and fit a wide range of hands
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Silicon Valley
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love my Scarpa boots and shoes (also mentioned earlier by @gqb ) - there's a pair of Terra GTX waterproof boots which are fantastic for walking with the dogs in muddy conditions, or on the beach in winter, and I also have a pair of their excellent waterproof walking shoes which look like technical trainers.
    I have a pair of Scarpa mojitos and while I don't use them for "approach", they were excellent in Japan as we did a ton of walking all over tokyo in some rainy conditions and they stuck like glue on slippery steps and other places.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    The far west
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
    I have a pair of Scarpa mojitos and while I don't use them for "approach", they were excellent in Japan as we did a ton of walking all over tokyo in some rainy conditions and they stuck like glue on slippery steps and other places.
    Yeah! I've been wearing Scarpa hiking boots for the last 15+ years. Very natural, comfortable fit. I have a GTX pair for wet/muddy/snow conditions and a non-waterproof pair that are a little more breathable and comfortable in the summer months.

Along the same level of quality and fit: Le Chameau rain/mud boots. They make insulated and non-insulated versions; I pair my non-insulated boots with thick alpaca socks and they're plenty warm, despite being rubber boots. The fit, like the Scarpas, feels like it was made for me.
    Have a question? @Darcy (to make sure I see it)

Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whatís the General fit/ shape of Scarpa shoes? Iíve got a high instep and need shoes with a wide toe box. Always on the look out for other shoe brands that will work for me. For hiking shoes and boots, Iíve had good luck with Keen, but their lighter sneaker(-like) designs lately have been narrower and less forgiving of my instep.

Merrells donít work for me at all. I even have a pair of Moabs in their wide size, and theyíre too narrow for anything but thin socks.

By the seaside, England
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by autolycus View Post
    What’s the General fit/ shape of Scarpa shoes? I’ve got a high instep and need shoes with a wide toe box. Always on the look out for other shoe brands that will work for me. For hiking shoes and boots, I’ve had good luck with Keen, but their lighter sneaker(-like) designs lately have been narrower and less forgiving of my instep.

Merrells don’t work for me at all. I even have a pair of Moabs in their wide size, and they’re too narrow for anything but thin socks.
    I have terrible trouble with shoes because I have enormously wide feet and a quite high instep too. As in, nobody makes shoes which are wide enough and generally available, that I could wear at the "correct" size of about a UK 9. I tend to wear New Balance or Brooks trainers in a 10.5/2E width fitting - and have nearly an inch of space between my toe and the front of the shoe. My Scarpas are an 11 to get enough width, but the instep/ankle area can be tightened down with the lacing so that they don't slop.

My most bizarre experience, recently, was finding a pair of lovely Russell & Bromley black suede Chelsea boots (I was looking for something sharp to wear to the Christmas party!) which are a snug but comfortable fit at a size 9.5 - all to do with the shape of the last and where the shoe widens toward the toes and ball of the foot, relative to the shape of my tootsies. Other models from the same manufacturer just wouldn't work at all, even going several sizes larger!
    Last edited by PaulT00; 03-05-2020 at 02:53 AM.
    A45CC K CQPC 3DCCGES25 SK SCBQKTTMCBLSB TT TSS4 PCSBSCBTT CQPC PQBPQK LT SETT 3DCCQKS19 TT P3DCCTS PP BBLCBCP TTRi QK NFTD A30DLBC

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    The far west
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Knives by the bladesmith Daniel Gentile

We traded Daniel some bags for knives, and the workmanship of the knives is top-notch. They're basically works of art.

Quote Originally Posted by autolycus View Post
    What’s the General fit/ shape of Scarpa shoes? I’ve got a high instep and need shoes with a wide toe box. Always on the look out for other shoe brands that will work for me. For hiking shoes and boots, I’ve had good luck with Keen, but their lighter sneaker(-like) designs lately have been narrower and less forgiving of my instep.

Merrells don’t work for me at all. I even have a pair of Moabs in their wide size, and they’re too narrow for anything but thin socks.
    Sounds like my feet! Someone told me Scarpa boots have a reputation for being a good fit for those with narrow feet, but that's not me and they fit me great so... I haven't worn Keens, Merrells, or Moabs, so can't compare to those. Chacos are a great fit for my feet, but I think they're more universally adaptable.
    Have a question? @Darcy (to make sure I see it)

Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22 23 LastLast