Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Forum Member
    Singapore
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just got the Basis Peak too! I used to wear the Fitbit flex but think basis peak tends to be more accurate and track the heartrate consistently. The notifications are quite cool too especially when it can do the whatsapp.

The only two issue i have right now, 1) i wished i gotten the white with brush metal and 2) the straps tend to itch a little especially after my naps/sleep.

Michigan, USA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, thanks to everyone who chimed in! This was a lot to synthesize.

Quote Originally Posted by kathryn View Post
    I have been considering updating to a newer version (the Charge) with the real watch-style band. I find that the Flex band can get caught on things and come open. My dad lost his that way, and switched to the FitBit One that clips to your shirt or waistband. You obviously don't have the problem with the Jawbone because it's a totally different design. Smilie
    The Jawbone Up Move is a different design, but the reason I brought up the topic is actually because I lost my tracker on the 4th of July! While the optional wristband can come undone accidentally (usually only happens when I'm sleeping), I wore my tracker while tubing behind a boat and when I unexpectedly fell off, the tracker came out of the band when I hit the water. Jawbone ended up replacing the tracker for free, though I think I might need a new wristband (mine might be stretched out a bit?). I do like that the Up Move gives me the option of clipping on OR wearing on my wrist, even if I find I'm only wearing it on my wrist.

Quote Originally Posted by sujo View Post
    I use the MapMyWalk app. It's simple and free. It also links to my LoseIt! app and records walk times, mileage and calories burned. It also records the route, so I can choose a walk based on mileage.
    Thanks for the recommendation! I actually tried a little experiment on Saturday when I went out for a walk, comparing my Jawbone, Fitbit app on my phone (using the phone to track steps), and MapMyWalk. Unfortunately, MapMyWalk gave me terrible results! It shortchanged me almost an entire mile! I Googled my route after I got home to see that I'd gone 2.9 miles - MapMyWalk showed I'd only walked 2 miles, the Fitbit app about 2.5, and Jawbone 2.7 miles. So that was +1 in the "keep what I have" column. Still, I can't figure out how an app that uses GPS was so far off!

Quote Originally Posted by Rocks View Post
    I love my Fitbit One!
    A lot of you mentioned the Fitbit One, which I'm drawn to because it gives you so much data on its little screen. I just wish I could wear it on my wrist! I know that the accuracy might be better for clip-ons, but I check in with my tracker quite often and it seems like it'd be a pain to do so when it's clipped on to your clothing.

Quote Originally Posted by jagmuse View Post
    I long for a tracker that includes Heart Rate, but cannot bring myself to wear the ginormous FitBit Charge HR - it's huge, and in my opinion, ugly.
    I have pretty tiny wrists (just about the only tiny part of me, ha) but I wore my sister's Charge HR for an hour just to try it out and found I didn't mind it. (She has smaller wrists than me, and it doesn't look bad on her, IMO.) At first it felt a little heavy and clunky, but after 20 minutes I forgot it was there. I don't find the need for a heart rate monitor myself, though, so if I decide to upgrade any time soon it'll probably be to the Charge. The Charge seems a little less bulky, probably because it has a little less hardware.

Quote Originally Posted by JP22 View Post
    I have a Basis Peak, which I absolutely love. It automatically detects when I sleep and wake up, separating it from most trackers. It accurately measures my heart rate as well. I once stupidly put the Peak through an entire wash cycle and it came out fine. Definitely recommend it.
    I did a LOT of research before picking the Jawbone Up Move, but I don't remember coming across Basis. Thanks for introducing me to a new option! Though with tiny wrists, anything with a large face is probably out of the question for me. But when my boyfriend gets off the fence and decides he wants a fitness tracker, I'll have to suggest this one for him.

After all of this, I think I'm going to give my Up Move another shot, if only because I got a free replacement from Jawbone. But it looks like a Fitbit product is probably in my future. I'm with a lot of you here - I care mostly about the steps. The sleep function is nice, but my problem is that I often sleep too much, which the Jawbone app doesn't consider a bad thing. I'm trying to be patient with the Jawbone app, because I really do love the simple function and look of my little tracker. But if I can get on board with a clip-on tracker, the One is probably THE one for me. And if not, the Charge (or maaaaaaaybe the Flex) will likely make its way to my wrist.
    kindness is contagious.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jeana View Post
    I just got the Basis Peak too! I used to wear the Fitbit flex but think basis peak tends to be more accurate and track the heartrate consistently. The notifications are quite cool too especially when it can do the whatsapp.

The only two issue i have right now, 1) i wished i gotten the white with brush metal and 2) the straps tend to itch a little especially after my naps/sleep.
    How long ago did you get the Peak? Have you considered calling Basis and asking about an exchange for a white model?

Quote Originally Posted by bermudajes View Post
    I did a LOT of research before picking the Jawbone Up Move, but I don't remember coming across Basis. Thanks for introducing me to a new option! Though with tiny wrists, anything with a large face is probably out of the question for me. But when my boyfriend gets off the fence and decides he wants a fitness tracker, I'll have to suggest this one for him.
    The Basis Peak might be perfect for him. However, it should be noted that the Peak is more of a fitness watch than a fitness tracker. I knew I wanted a watch, so it was a no-brainer for me. However, if your boyfriend prefers not to wear a watch (or if he already wears a watch), the Peak may not be ideal.

Forum Member
    Singapore
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I gotten the watch recently but I can't exchange as I live in asia. The pictures on the website are not doing basis peak much justice as I don't think it is particularly ginormous..

It tracks quite well and the habits feature is quite interesting to use. Tracking heart rate and steps will provide a higher accuracy of calories..

The only real downside is that it is not syncing to myfitnesspal app

Sent from my N5206 using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jeana View Post
    I gotten the watch recently but I can't exchange as I live in asia. The pictures on the website are not doing basis peak much justice as I don't think it is particularly ginormous..

It tracks quite well and the habits feature is quite interesting to use. Tracking heart rate and steps will provide a higher accuracy of calories..

The only real downside is that it is not syncing to myfitnesspal app

Sent from my N5206 using Tapatalk
    I have certainly heard others mention the Peak's inability to sync with health related apps. I only use the dedicated Peak app, though, so that has not been an issue for me. The Basis team is pretty good about rolling out updates, though.

I actually thought the Peak was a bit big when I first got it, but I have come to love its size. It is no bigger than necessary, and the two-toned time display is great. I was initially concerned that the watch itself was not professional-looking enough. Then I noticed that no one seemed to notice or care when I wore the watch to court, in depositions, etc. I really think it is a watch for all occasions.

Forum Member
    Florida, USA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had the Jawbone UP second gen band for a couple of years. This is the version that doesn't have Bluetooth, so it has to be manually plugged it into your phone to transfer data... old school-style.

My overall feelings about it are mixed. It is reasonably attractive, I like the vibrating alarm function, and battery life is good -- about 10 days -- but its overall reliability has been dismal.

Jawbone has replaced it multiple times due to premature failures. The first time was under warranty when it got lightly splashed with water while washing the car. Jawbone says it is ok to wear swimming and in the shower, so this shouldn't have been a problem... but YMMV. Now I go out of my way to not get it wet at all.

That replacement band failed after a few more months, and then the replacement-for-the-replacement failed, as well.

Jawbone's customer service has been decent, if disjointed; the last time it failed, a rep immediately offered me another replacement... but then a completely different rep randomly intervened to retract the offer of the replacement, without explanation.

Here's hoping the newer UPs are more reliable!
    Last edited by bb93fo57; 07-21-2015 at 02:01 PM.

Michigan, USA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bb93fo57 View Post
    Jawbone's customer service has been pretty good, if disjointed; the last time it failed, a rep immediately offered me another replacement... but then a completely different rep intervened to retract the offer of the replacement, without explanation.
    I had the same disjointed experience with Jawbone's customer service. I ultimately got a replacement for my Up Move tracker, but no one ever actually confirmed with me I was getting it. Between phone and email I was probably in communication with five or six different people - never the same person twice, and it seemed as if they weren't communicating with each other. They certainly weren't telling me much on my end, either. I just kind of waited and wondered until they told me they were sending me "a replacement" (I didn't know if it was for the tracker itself or the band, or both - it ended up being the tracker, but I still need a new band.) This experience is one of the reasons I don't think I'd buy another UP product.

(Side note: Good customer service, like Tom Bihn's, goes a LONG way in my book.)
    kindness is contagious.

Forum Member
    Florida, USA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bermudajes View Post
    I had the same disjointed experience with Jawbone's customer service. I ultimately got a replacement for my Up Move tracker, but no one ever actually confirmed with me I was getting it. Between phone and email I was probably in communication with five or six different people - never the same person twice, and it seemed as if they weren't communicating with each other. They certainly weren't telling me much on my end, either. I just kind of waited and wondered until they told me they were sending me "a replacement" (I didn't know if it was for the tracker itself or the band, or both - it ended up being the tracker, but I still need a new band.) This experience is one of the reasons I don't think I'd buy another UP product.

(Side note: Good customer service, like Tom Bihn's, goes a LONG way in my book.)
    Agree 100%, @bermudajes. TB's attention to detail and customer service are unparalleled. Jawbone is in another semi-dysfunctional universe entirely: 5-6 different reps, minimum, for every transaction, with a flood of redundant and confusing or contradictory emails each time. Ultimately, Jawbone has always come through for me, but the experience of dealing with the company will not give anyone the warm fuzzies.
    Last edited by bb93fo57; 07-21-2015 at 02:03 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2