Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Michigan, USA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

favorite fitness tracker?

I know there are a lot of active individuals on this forum, so I'm very interested in your input...

Do you use a fitness tracker (Fitbit, Jawbone, Garmin, Nike, etc?). If so, which do you use and why?

I entered the fitness tracker world at Christmastime with a Jawbone Up Move. I like the simplicity of it; it tracks steps and sleep, and the app allows me to track other activities, mood, weight, and food. When I forget to turn on the sleep tracking at night, it does a pretty good job of estimating my sleep anyway. I can check in with just one click to get an idea (not exact count) of how much progress I've made toward my step goal. I can double click to get an approximate time (which is good enough for me; I usually have another timepiece nearby if I need an exact time). And while some reviews complain about the appearance, I like the way it looks. I wear it on my wrist.

What I don't like about it? The app. Reviews raved about the Jawbone app's superiority to the Fitbit, which was part of what helped me make my decision. But I don't love it, and after comparing it to the Fitbit app for the past week, I'm seriously considering an upgrade. The Jawbone app doesn't update in real time (despite having a constant connection to my iPhone) and sometimes won't even respond to attempts to manually refresh. I also don't like that water and food intake are one category. The Fitbit app appears to be cleaner and more user-friendly. I like that both have a social aspect to the apps, but I know more people with the Fitbit so that may also play a role in my ultimate decision. I hate to discard a gift after just a half a year of use, but I also believe that my technology should work for me and not the other way around.
    kindness is contagious.

Minneapolis
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had a FitBit Flex for over 2 years now, and I really like both the tracker itself and the app interface. The iOS version of the app is slightly better than the Android one, but both are clean and intuitive.

I bought this one on the recommendation of BoingBoing, although I don't remember which of their writers gave it a good review. Maybe Cory Doctorow?

The one thing I don't like is that you have to remember to "tell" it, by tapping the wristband, when you are going to sleep. You can do it post facto via the app, too, in case you forget, but I pretty much always forget and can't be bothered to go back, so the sleep tracking doesn't show up. I think, but am not sure, that their newer models track sleep automatically.

I have been considering updating to a newer version (the Charge) with the real watch-style band. I find that the Flex band can get caught on things and come open. My dad lost his that way, and switched to the FitBit One that clips to your shirt or waistband. You obviously don't have the problem with the Jawbone because it's a totally different design. Smilie

My mom had the Lumo Lift, briefly, until she forgot it was on a blouse and ran it through the washer. **sigh** That one was cool because it monitors posture. So if you sit at a desk all day it can help you to sit up straight. It gives you a little buzz when you slouch.

For connecting with friends and workout buddies: there is an app/service that will allow you to use different types of fitness trackers in groups, so you can get the same social experience even if everyone you know has a different brand. I haven't used it--think it's called Matchup--but someone I know was just telling me about how cool it was.
    Last edited by kathryn; 07-17-2015 at 09:48 AM. Reason: Spelling
    "I'm more of a creative problem solver with good taste and a soft spot for logistical nightmares. ― Maria Semple, Where'd You Go, Bernadette

Vancouver, WA
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use the MapMyWalk app. It's simple and free. It also links to my LoseIt! app and records walk times, mileage and calories burned. It also records the route, so I can choose a walk based on mileage. That's as much tracking as I care to do. Of course, that's probably why I'm a tad on the overweight side Wink

Forum Member
    Upstate New York
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love my little Fitbit Zip, though I do have a tendency to lose it rather....often. It doesn't have a sleep function. I'm really just interested in my number of steps and mileage.
    Owner of Aeronaut 45, Aubergine/Wasabi; MCB, Plum; Travel Trays, Wasabi, NW Sky & Zest; PCSB, Iberian; PCBP, Steel, black dyneema CP & Pilot

Forum Member
    Upstate NY
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My iPhone 6. The built in Helth app does a good job of tracking flights climbed and walking/running distance and provides an excellent "dashboard" display over various time periods to track your progress.

My iPhone is always with me and requires absolutely no additional effort to track my activity and imposes no penalty on battery life (there is a custom Apple designed M8 motion coprocessor in the phone that incorporates an accelerometer, compass and gyroscope). There have been numerous articles written (including this interesting blog posting) that compare the iPhone to the Fitbit and other trackers... bottom line, the iPhone is comparable in accuracy. So if your phone is always with you, it's a great alternative to a stand alone tracker.

Minneapolis, MN
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love my Fitbit One! It's the clip version. I bought it because my work was doing a steps contest (I came in 5th! of 42 or so) and I do find it really motivating. I've had it for a few months now. I did some research and chose the One because it's USB rechargeable and it measures floors, and I climb an absurd amount of stairs in a day. I can take the elevator at home and at work, but I almost never do.
    My current goal is 5,000 steps by 6PM, which is when I go to work most days. I get 7,000 steps or so on my current show. I found it to be a really good investment.
    As for fitness tracking apps, I found that I hated them! Having a phone on me at all times is too much of a distraction, plus it wears down the battery. Plus it's creepy.

Forum Member
    Washington, DC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really like my FitBit One, I wear it on my bra and you'd never know it's there. And their app is great, really clean interface, and it works well. I long for a tracker that includes Heart Rate, but cannot bring myself to wear the ginormous FitBit Charge HR - it's huge, and in my opinion, ugly. That is the one reason I would consider an Apple Watch, but that too is HUGE (and expensive, and you still have to have the phone). So until they figure out a way to get heart rate monitoring into a reasonably sized and attractive watch-like-object, I'll stick with steps and floors on my One. I do not wear my Fitbit to sleep (I've tried it, but it didn't really tell me anything useful that I couldn't already tell based on how I felt the next day).
    Swift (Plum/Forest), Synapse 25 (Black Dyneema/Wasabi), Aeronaut 30 (Navy/NWS), Aeronaut 45 (Black Dyneema/Island), Side Effect (Black Dyneema/Ultraviolet), Co-Pilot (Black Dyneema/Wasabi), Pilot (Black Dyneema/Ultraviolet])Small Cafe Bag (Black Dyneema/Wasabi), Medium Cafe Bag (Grey/Olive), Large Cafe Bag (Black Dyneema/Solar), Daylight Backpack (Black Dyneema), and assorted accessories and smaller items in lots of colors.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've used Fitbit products for two years. The app is easy and I enjoy the dashboard of family/friends...I've even walked extra in order to pass others who've crept ahead! I first had the One (usually wore it on my bra) and lost it this spring on the one day I tried clipping it to my jeans waistband. I now have the Flex (lacks a stairs counting function which I haven't missed). I never really used the sleep function-didn't seem helpful. If something happens to my Flex, I'll probably go back to the One just because it's out of sight and not an obvious band.

Forum Member
    Seattle
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Fitbit One and I love it. I wear mine in a tiny pocket at the waist of my pants and find it to be pretty accurate in terms of step count. I also like the app interface and the integration with MyFitnessPal (which I use for calorie logging.)

I have an Apple Watch for other Reasons, and I would definitely NOT buy a dedicated step tracker that is worn on the wrist. I find my Watch (and I have seen similar reports of the Fitbit HR) does not accurately count steps if I am carrying or pushing things with the hand wearing the tracker. Not entirely unexpected, but extremely annoying. So for example when I was moving these past few days, my Fitbit counted up to 2000 more steps than my Watch, because the Watch hand was pushing (or pulling) a moving cart or carrying things and so completely missed the steps. Annoying.
    Rambling On. . . . .

Forum Member
    Washington, DC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Meglet View Post
    So for example when I was moving these past few days, my Fitbit counted up to 2000 more steps than my Watch, because the Watch hand was pushing (or pulling) a moving cart or carrying things and so completely missed the steps. Annoying.
    Oooh, that would be VERY annoying. I hadn't thought about that!! Another reason to stick with the One.
    Swift (Plum/Forest), Synapse 25 (Black Dyneema/Wasabi), Aeronaut 30 (Navy/NWS), Aeronaut 45 (Black Dyneema/Island), Side Effect (Black Dyneema/Ultraviolet), Co-Pilot (Black Dyneema/Wasabi), Pilot (Black Dyneema/Ultraviolet])Small Cafe Bag (Black Dyneema/Wasabi), Medium Cafe Bag (Grey/Olive), Large Cafe Bag (Black Dyneema/Solar), Daylight Backpack (Black Dyneema), and assorted accessories and smaller items in lots of colors.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have used the Fit Bit Zip, One and Flex and have recently switched over to the Garmin Vivofit 2.

What I like about the Garmin vs the FitBit:

1. It is waterproof. I can shower, swim, while wearing it without worry.
    2. NO CHARGING! Battery lasts a year or longer. I don't ever have to take it off if I choose not to.
    3. The band is more comfortable with a locking mechanism.
    4. It looks a bit sleeker and has a bigger screen. It shows (as you scroll through)time, Date, Steps walked, steps to goal, mileage and calories burned. It also tracks sleep without needing to tap or set it. You set your average sleep time on the interface online.

The interface works fine on my MacBookAir and is very similar to the FitBit interface. It syncs with an ANT stick.

I've had it for about a month and really, really like it. I was fairly satisfied with the FitBit but there were things that annoyed me such as remembering to take the clip-on one off, recharging it (especially while traveling and the related having to deal with the charging cords. easy, but one more thing to deal with) and having to take it off when I work with a lot of water (and showering, etc).

Hope this helps!

Florida
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been using the Garmin Vivosmart. It pushes notifications to your wrist and does fitness without the price tag of the Apple Watch. It's also waterproof and can go up to a week on a charge depending on how it's being used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Favorite: Steel/Steel Little Swift * Latest: nNordic/NWS Smart Alec *

Forum Member
    Seattle, WA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been using a FitBit Flex and a Suunto Ambit3 Peak for fitness tracking. I love the Ambit but it's way expensive and doesn't do steps... but I trust it for my workouts more than the FitBit. The FitBit is my good motivator to take a walk during the day so that I get my steps in Smilie
    Current EDC: S25 (BlkHyc)
    Current Closet: BB (Blk/Blk/Blk), SA (Blk/Blk/Iberian), UMP (Blk), TT(Island)
    Owner of All Day Ruckoff

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Basis Peak, which I absolutely love. It automatically detects when I sleep and wake up, separating it from most trackers. It accurately measures my heart rate as well. I once stupidly put the Peak through an entire wash cycle and it came out fine. Definitely recommend it.

tiny rural town in the Piedmont of the Carolinas
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I started using the fitbit zip earlier this year, but stopped wearing it before Haiti. I need to remember and put it on!
    I really, really like TB Bags!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast