Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dad & son: Packing list for 3 weeks Thailand (Aeronaut & Co-Pilot inside)

Hi all, hope you are all doing well.

Our son just turned 4 and is now old enough for a 3-weeks old trip to Thailand. Preparation and anticipation being an integrale part of the pleasure of such a trip, I have been honing my packing list.

We plan on being fairly mobile, traveling by train, bus, boat and plane between 6 locations. Hence the goal of minimising bulk and weight (but I don't need to explain that to you). Mom will also join us with her Aeronaut and a packing list of her own.

I am in charge of the my and our son's stuff, intending to take my Aeronaut and Co-Pilot with me. The Aeronaut will be the bag with all the non-fragile or valuable stuff, whereas the things I want to keep with me at all time will be in the Co-Pilot.

I have decided against giving our son his own bag to carry. As much as I would have liked him to take ownership of his bag, this is not really productive as such a bag would have had to be very small / light. I the end, I felt this would be one more thing I need to take care of (if not carry).

For this packing list I have let my OCD take the lead and ended up not only counting but also weighting all items. It is the first time I am doing this but can already see the value of it. It is very interesting to see where the total weight is coming from.

For example, I was surprised by the weight of the luggage. The total weight of the bags, packing cubes and locks is 2.37kg. This compares to a total full weight of 11.12kg. This means that over one fifth is container rather than content. I have never previously thought it would be so much. This fact then tipped the balance against planning on taking the absolut strap with me (although I love it). The other factor was that I fell it awkward to carry two shoulder bags at the same time, rather prefer the setup backpack and shoulder bag.

I am unsure yet whether the Aeronaut will be checked in or carry-on. There is really nothing in there I need at the airport or in the plane. Also nothing which could not be replaced.

I have attached the list below. You will see that I split it between the two bags and what we will be wearing (OCD, I told you).

Any comments are welcome, thanks in advance.

Packing list.pdf

Forum Member
    Upstate NY
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a thoughtful and well designed list. My only thoughts to add to what was obviously tons of effort on your part... consider placing one of the iDevice chargers in the co-pilot along with toothbrushes for you and your son. This way, even if your main bag becomes lost you will not have to scrabble for replacing those two essential items. Enjoy your trip!

Forum Member
    St. Somewhere
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi buddy
    how was your trip?

I have over 100 trips in to LOS

I now have a 2 year old
    I would love to get your experience

bw