Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Condor not checking challenge

Hello everyone,

next weekend I'll have a trip with my company for 3 nights and 4 days.
    Condor has some quite challenging restrictions on hand luggage, but I may bring a personal item.

Personal item size: 55 x 40 x 20 cm, max. 6 kg (13 pounds)
    In addition to hand baggage, a small handbag, a laptop/tablet including bag and an umbrella may be taken into the cabin free of charge.

I want to take the Night Flight Travel Duffel (NFTD) and the Daylight Backpack (DLBP) for this. Additionally I have a Packing Cube Shoulder Back (PCSB) inside the DLBP with everything I want to use on the flight. I'm not sure if this setup will work with the airline.
    So far I'm under 6 kg with both bags together.

This is what I pack:

clothes:
    - 2 trousers
    - 4 Shirts
    - 1 longshirt
    - 1 cardigan
    - Underwear
    - Swimsuit
    - goggles
    - beach slippers
    - swim shoes
    - pyjama

- clear organizer cube as wash bag
    - mash organizer cube as toilet bag for non-liquids

other gear:
    - mobile phone
    - wallet
    - pens
    - travel diary
    - travel documents in Double Organizer Pouch
    - sleeping mask
    - glasses case
    - sunglasses
    - iPad
    - without words travel dictionary
    - charger cables

Casual wear is okay and I will spend probably most time at the beach.
    Any comments or suggestions?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I cannot edit my first post, so here are my pics:

Packed:

Volunteer Moderator Alumni Badger's Avatar
    Somerville, MA
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Condor not checking challenge

I take it you are concerned that the Daylight Backpack won't be accepted as the second bag? I could see a potential problem in that neither of your bags could pass easily as a laptop bag. All I can think of is this:
    1. When you need to weigh your items, put both on the scale and when they come up at less than 6 kg together, shrug and move along.
    2. Assure the gate agent that both bags can fit under the seat (but only if they ask).
    3. Say that the DLBP is your tablet bag and show them the iPad as proof.

The three strategies above all involve some subterfuge, I admit. The only other thing I can think of is to eliminate some items so you can pack into the DLBP and PCSB (the latter should count as a purse, I would think). You've got a pretty streamlined list, but:

*could you get away with just the swim shoes and leave the sandals at home? The sandals are kind of bulky.
    *likewise, the goggles look huge, at least in the photo. I don't know how easy it would be to snag a pair at your destination, but I thought I would mention it.
    *you say you'll mostly be at the beach. If that's the case, could you get away with re-wearing one of your shirts? I would also advise wearing either the cardigan or long sleeved shirt and pack just one as a backup.
    *can you put a dictionary on your phone/tablet and leave the other one?

I'm sure you've thought about at least most of those ideas, but I thought I would put them out there anyway. If none of these would work, then I would advise using a single bigger carry-on and tucking the DLBP inside of it to use at your destination. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Badger; 09-20-2015 at 09:09 AM.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What kind of business trip is this where you spend most of your time at the beach, and are they hiring?

Your bags look adorable and I can't believe a gate agent would so much as raise an eyebrow, but then I've never flown Condor.
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    I take it you are concerned that the Daylight Backpack won't be accepted as the second bag?
    Yes, that is my concern. I'm not at all a frequent flyer, so I don't have much experience how strict the gate agents will be.
    Thank you very much for the ideas, I will think this through and report back what I did and if it worked.

@bchaplin Yes the company is always hiring, but mostly in Germany. ;-) This "business trip" is only one part business, one part thank you for the employees and one part getting to know more colleges. We mostly work where the customers are, so it's not like you see everybody at the office every day.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm back from my trip and it went well.
    I ended up with a 5kg Night Flight and about 2.5kg in my Daylight Backpack.
    I never got a second look for the Daylight Backpack and on the way back they didn't even weight the Night Flight. Smilie

Thank you everyone for your recommendations, it helped me a lot. Plan B was, that I put everything in the Packing Cube Shoulder Back (including a rolled up DLBP) and convince them that this is a small (but fully stuffed) purse. Wink But there was no need at all for plan B.

It was a wonderful weekend and there was nothing I missed or had forgotten. Which I think is amazing, because I had cut out so much stuff!