Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Volunteer Moderator
    Northern Virginia
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In Flight Entertainment

I decided to bring my own in-flight entertainment in the form of an iPad, downloading some TV shows and movies that I wanted to watch ahead of time, and it worked out great!

The user interface on the iPad, as well as the screen quality is better than any of the in-flight entertainment systems I have encountered. Although the screens in business and first class are larger.

I did watch some programming on the in-flight entertainment system, and some of them have come a long way! I flew Lufthansa, Swiss, United and Air India this trip.

Lufthansa's selection of entertainment appealed to me the most, and United's selection was also quite good. The Swiss selection was alright.

In terms of user experience, United was exceptional, but Lufthansa wasn't far behind. The controls on the Swiss Air flight failed at my seat, and they weren't that great before they failed.

It's hard to say which is worse -- Air India's entertainment system (and I'm using that term loosely) user experience or the programming selection.

I liked that United lets me use a standard 3.5mm connector earphones. I highly recommend using noise isolating in-ear monitors in-flight, and earplugs when you aren't wearing in-ear monitors. The engine noise is just awful otherwise. It was specially loud on the Swiss flight, even with my earplugs or in-ear monitors (I'm not sure why).

Some in-flight entertainment systems allow you to access your iOS device contents; however, I haven't experimented with this yet (I'm not entirely comfortable with allowing the in-flight entertainment system access to the videos and photos on my iOS device). But if you're okay with the idea, you should be able to watch the entertainment you've brought with you on a larger screen.

I kept my in-flight entertainment system in the Daylight Briefcase, which stood very nicely underneath the seat in front of me. The Daylight Briefcase held my 13" Retina MacBook Pro, iPad Air 2, each in a Cache, Lightning to USB cable, and a battery pack for charging my iPhone and iPoad. It also held my in-ear monitors when I wasn't in the airplane (when I was, I moved them to the Side Effect).
    Last edited by maverick; 11-03-2015 at 11:49 AM.
    -m

Colorado Springs
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I fly internationally only every few years. Last year on the way to Rome, I felt pretty out of date when I saw all the students in coach whip out their iphone and USB cords and hook up their headphones, devices, etc. to the seatback plugs. I brought only a short stub charge cord with me, so I charged my iPhone the old-fashioned way...with an Anker battery.

Volunteer Moderator
    Northern Virginia
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Anker battery is old-fashioned?

I just got one of those!! Big Grin

Actually, the battery can come in very handy when you're using your phone for navigation (Google Maps while walking around) or if you're on an aircraft that doesn't have a USB ports.
    -m

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Or an aircraft with non-functioning USB ports. I got one of those on my last flight. I wish I'd had an Anker battery. I did have an old-fashioned book along. Yay for backups!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have an Android Nexus 7 and I don't know the first thing about watching movies on it. I'm guessing I would need Net Flix or Amazon Prime. I do have an iPod. Smilie

Signed,
    Technologically challenged

Volunteer Moderator
    Northern Virginia
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ladyinblack1964 View Post
    I have an Android Nexus 7 and I don't know the first thing about watching movies on it. I'm guessing I would need Net Flix or Amazon Prime. I do have an iPod. Smilie

Signed,
    Technologically challenged
    When you're flying, you want to be able to bring media with you. Amazon Prime Video now lets you do just that. You can also rent movies that are not part of the Amazon Prime collection and bring them with you.

Netflix is a streaming only service, unfortunately, so you can't bring content with you aboard a flight.

Your cable provider may also allow you to download certain content. I know that Comcast allows you to do that with their TV Go app.

And then there is media available for rent and purchase on the Google Play store / iTunes store.

So there are several sources for media. The trick is to select the ones that let you watch (or listen to) the media offline.
    -m

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, Maverick. I also have Kindle on my tablet. I'll look into the other options! Thank you for explaining!

EDIT: I thought of a question: So when you get a movie through Amazon Prime, it is actually offline on your device, and not streaming?
    Last edited by ladyinblack1964; 11-04-2015 at 01:49 PM.

Volunteer Moderator
    Northern Virginia
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ladyinblack1964 View Post
    Thanks, Maverick. I also have Kindle on my tablet. I'll look into the other options! Thank you for explaining!

EDIT: I thought of a question: So when you get a movie through Amazon Prime, it is actually offline on your device, and not streaming?
    Some of the media available through Amazon Prime Video is available for download (for offline viewing) -- but not all of it. As I understand it, the time you have to view the media while offline varies by title.
    -m

New York
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have given up with inflight entertainment systems, there always seem to be some issues - non responsive screens making it hard to flip through movies. Slow systems, sometimes systems just not working at all, or just stuff I don't want to watch Big Grin
    I travel back to Wales from the US at least twice a year. Going next month for my next visit home.
    I will have my Kindle Paperwhite, various podcast episodes downloaded on my phone (I use Pocket Casts app), and various tv shows I've either purchased on Google Play, Amazon, or ripped from my own DVD's, loaded on my phone. Then a Limefuel battery pack, pair of noise cancelling headphones and I'm good to go.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk