Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Word on Ravelry is that the Field Journal Notebook is coming back, according to an official post from Tom Bihn! And I see that @adalangdon also posted about this here on Forums. I wonder what the new modifications will be? (There was reference to a surprise or two.)

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GoStanford View Post
    Word on Ravelry is that the Field Journal Notebook is coming back, according to an official post from Tom Bihn! And I see that @adalangdon also posted about this here on Forums. I wonder what the new modifications will be? (There was reference to a surprise or two.)
    My guess, (and this is only a guess), is that if they do another run of the FJN, they might offer it in other colors. I know that some people who had been looking for the FJN, wanted to see cooler colors (e.g., like Plum, Navy, etc.), whereas the released colors were grey, red blend, burnt orange, and olive -- with the last two matching the recent trend for Ballistic Nylon colors. That meant people who had liked colors like plum and navy in the previous releases ended up posting questions like "how purple is red blend"?

And, incidentally, in addition to the tweets that were the basis of @adalangdon's post and the one over at Ravelry, if you go to check the Field Journal Notebook product page, the comment says
    You asked, and we listened: the Field Journal Notebook will return in early 2016. Stay tuned!

Enter your email below to get notified when this item is available again.
    HTH

moriond

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In search of the perfect travel journal

I do love my FJN so and use it daily. To me it is still the large planner par excellence. Sadly, the only comments I've gotten so far are "Did you bring paper?" (Me: "yes, this has paper inside") and "What's that you're holding o_O".

Maybe the upgrades will allow for the integration of electronic devices, as requested by many in the past. I hope it comes in Azure! Although I'm up to my quota in FJNs, an Azure or black parapack one with improvements I'll use will be enough to motivate me to eBay my Grey one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by adalangdon View Post
    I do love my FJN so and use it daily. To me it is still the large planner par excellence. Sadly, the only comments I've gotten so far are "Did you bring paper?" (Me: "yes, this has paper inside") and "What's that you're holding o_O".

Maybe the upgrades will allow for the integration of electronic devices, as requested by many in the past. I hope it comes in Azure! Although I'm up to my quota in FJNs, an Azure or black parapack one with improvements I'll use will be enough to motivate me to eBay my Grey one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    But the grey FJN looks so cool! Especially when you dress it up with ultraviolet cord pulls to attach a shoulder strap:

(Image is from my post (#52) in the Latest Facebook Post-Field journal Notebook that demonstrated how to add 1" triangle clips so you could carry the FJN on regular shoulder straps, if you chose.)

moriond

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    But the grey FJN looks so cool! Especially when you dress it up with ultraviolet cord pulls to attach a shoulder strap
    You're telling me-- I have UV zipper pulls on my Grey FJN. Grey is much easier to let go of since I have a couple other items in Grey. (On the other hand, I don't have anything else in Red Blend, and I think the FJN looks a bit nicer in darker colours.)

Sorry for the derail!

Volunteer Moderator Alumni Ilkyway's Avatar
    GMT +1 Germany, North
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah my grey one would be the LAST to leve me. But since I am kind of a horder with both bags and notebooks... I can be minimalsticishy in every other aspect of my life but thouse two arias...

So a knew FNJ, huh? YEAY!!!! I never felt compfrable posting pictures of mine because people had no chance of getting one. But with this in the air...

Ilkyway

Though I use mine (up till today) only in the house.
    “Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it in the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it so long as it was there.”

By Sir Terence David John Pratchett from The Truth

Forum Member
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have used a small 3.5x5 Rhodia Webnotebook and a 4x6 (or 5x7) Paperblanks journal for travel. I like the hard covers and lay-flat binding of these for support when writing and they both have FP friendly paper. Use an FP with an EF nib and water-resistant ink.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I second what others have said about Travelers Notebooks. The thin paper Midori insert is Fountain- pen friendly, and standard will fit any standard travelers notebooks found on Etsy. If you want, I can give you several good/popular Etsy stores which carry fabric TNs. An Etsy store which sells a huge variety of inserts is Yellow Paper House, and they offer a watercolor paper insert which would be fountain pen friendly (I am a devoted fountain pen user). another great paper for fountain pens/mixed media is Tomoe River Paper. There are several sources for this paper which feels way too thin for fountain pens but there truly is NO bleed-through and it feels so good to use. I've bought some from Rowena at www.sojournerusa.net. Small business, as are shops on Etsy. I didn't think I'd get into the Travelers Notebook (TN). I've journaled for 50 years. But one main thing I love about it is that I can carry together inserts for a variety of interests. One insert is my journal. Another is for miscellaneous notes/scratch notes, etc (kind of a junk book), one is for art. Some add a calendar (I prefer my phone calendar). unlike a spiral subject notebook, when one section (notebook) is filled, it can be removed and replaced while leaving the rest alone. Also, many add vinyl inserts allowing it to be used as a wallet. So many ways to use a TN!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did, once upon a time, consider the FJN, but the initial cost kind of put me off. As a matter of fact, I found TB through the FJN, which someone had posted on Pinterest.

Forum Member
    Raleigh, NC
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another Rhodia Webnotebook (medium size) fan. It is just the perfect size for me and the paper is not too thin (like Moleskine IMHO). If you want to go more minimal and have a nice holder for pens and notebook to put in your TB bag look at Nock Co. Also, there are a ton of nice small companies that make this kind of stuff (ex; Baron Fig, Clairfontaine, Red and Black, Field Notes, Rite in the Rain, etc...)
    Previous owned: A45 ballistic, NFTD
    Own:A45 Black Halcyon, A30 black ballistic, WF black ballistic, DLBC black Halcyon, DLBP original black dyneema, various packing cubes

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OP here. What I ended up doing last year was making a 6" x 9" journal from various papers in an online class ("Ticket to Venice" by Mary Ann Moss, whose blog "Dispatch from LA" is worth following). It was a bit too large for me to carry around, but I took two Moleskine Cahiers measuring 5.5" x 3.5" in my day bag. I covered them in nice papers and washi tape. I wrote in them during the day, and then copied my entries into the big journal once I was in my room at night. I ended up finishing it several months ago. It's got ephemera, souvenir postcards, printed photographs, etc. in it.

I'm making another one for my trip to London next month. This time, I am using another small notebook to carry around, from Clairefontaine. Their paper is so smooth and nice to the touch!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2